Identify these flowers?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone know the common or botanical names for these perennials are growing in our Florida yard?

I can't find them in the U of F extension service web site.

The one with the trumpet-shaped flower and long, thin leaves is a low-growing, spready perennial.

The second is an upright shrub, 3-4 feet high. The flower spikes (this one is pretty well spent) are about 6 inches high.

Attachments

• purple trumpet flower.jpg
    purple trumpet flower.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Purple flower spike.jpg
    Purple flower spike.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 26
It is Joee >>> AKA Blue Porterweed, Jamaica Snakeweed,

Anyone know the common or botanical names for these perennials are growing in our Florida yard?

I can't find them in the U of F extension service web site.

The one with the trumpet-shaped flower and long, thin leaves is a low-growing, spready perennial.

The second is an upright shrub, 3-4 feet high. The flower spikes (this one is pretty well spent) are about 6 inches high.
The bottom one looks like Porter Weed, a plant from Africa popular in butterfly gardens. It’s pretty unique. Ours is a beautiful large shrub that attracts butterflies all year.

The top one looks very similar to our South Texas Runyon’s Violet Wild Petunia, which is in the Ruellia genus. So maybe you can find out your local ruellia with purple flowers.

Last edited:
Plant No. 2 has been identified! It is Blue Porterweed/Jamaica Snakeweed. Definitely attracts butterflies. Now I have to find out what the butterflies are called :) will post photos...

Plant No. 1 remains Unidentified at this time.

Plant No. 2 has been identified! It is Blue Porterweed/Jamaica Snakeweed. Definitely attracts butterflies. Now I have to find out what the butterflies are called :) will post photos...

Plant No. 1 remains Unidentified at this time.

I updated my previous response to include plant no 1. Or at least a big clue.

A quick google of ruellia in Florida, and Ruellia Simplex, or Mexican Petunia pops up the most. https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/ruella.html

Last edited:
Yes! Mexican Petunia looks just like what we have.

Thank you, my horticultural friends!

Number 1 is Ruellia, Mexican petunia. Very popular planting in Florida. It is invasive so use with caution. It spreads.

Number 1 is Ruellia, Mexican petunia. Very popular planting in Florida. It is invasive so use with caution. It spreads.
Indeed. We use it as a border plant and its seeds grow new plants readily, so we are constantly pulling them up as weeds from places we don't want them. It does not spread by runners.

OTOH, this plant is ideal for a 1 foot gap between a hot concrete driveway and a hot concrete foundation where nothing else will grow all-year-round. We have river rocks of 2" to 4" there, but the Ruellia has taken over and the rocks are now completely hidden.
Even running over it with the occasional tire or lawnmower does not slow it down.

Agree. We inherited some with our house and will be taking them out, even though they look beautiful.

Yes! Mexican Petunia looks just like what we have.

Thank you, my horticultural friends!

Yes, we have those plants here in Bradenton. They grow faster than anything.

Back
Top Bottom