Audrey becomes a Landscape Designer

yes the ebony is a beautiful tree and has even better wood... had a friend who used to find the old dead ones and make rolling pins from them, you will like the huisache as well but a bit of caution as the bees love it too and produce a wonderful huisache honey.
Yes, I know the huisache is a major bee attractor. Apparently it's blossoms "sweet acacia" are a major perfume ingredient.

Wow - that's cool about the ebony rolling pens. I would love to have one of those!

Audrey

Audrey, for those not familiar with the tree, you might want to tell folks how "huisache" is pronounced.
wee-SAH-che

Is that good enough?

I suspect it is not a name of Spanish origin, as the spelling is pretty exotic for Spanish. It is probably from some Mexican Indian language.

Yep - just looked it up and it is of Nahautl origin (language of the Aztecs) and means "many thorns" - good one! NPIN: Acacia farnesiana (Huisache)

Audrey

Great Job! We added a potted hibiscus to our deck and it attracts bees, hummingbirds, butterflies. You could put one in a container on your patio. I'm going to bring mine in for the winter to see if it will be a perennial here in Illinois. i would think hibiscus would thrive in Texas - just water it a lot,
Very nice desert yard. Its going to be lovely.

I have a beautiful winter hardy hibiscus with 10" blooms in red and white. No need to coddle a tropical one.

The grass arrived finally on Thursday - thank goodness! Now we just have to keep it going until the some rain hopefully arrives next week.

When the truck with 8 grass palettes arrived at noon, a call went out, and every last grounds maintenance person arrived on the scene to help with putting it down. I think there were at least 8 people working together.

100624_MG_08887.jpg

Ahhh - finally no more bare dirt!

100624_MG_08889.jpg

100624_MG_08891.jpg

We closed on the house on Friday.

I'll definitely posts some photos in late fall when some of the flowering plants should be a lot bigger and covered with butterflies.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom