Iditarod XXVIII

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Always wanted to attend this race, but instead I just enjoy it via the Internet now. Have any of you folks attended any part of this awesome trek?

It’s unlike any other event in the world. A race over 1,150 miles of the most extreme and beautiful terrain known to man: across mountain ranges, frozen rivers, dense forests, desolate tundra and windswept coastline ...

The Official Site of the Iditarod®

I go down to the start (now the ceremonial start) most years. It's a hoot. They've wised up and now have Fur Rondy for the two weeks before the Iditarod Start, making it convenient for visitors to enjoy both. It was so cool when first Libby Riddles, and then Susan Butcher many times, won.
"Alaska - where men and men and women win the Iditarod"
I was working at the time at a place with a bunch of macho men, so those t-shirts and bumper stickers were very sweet to see.

Where men are men and women win the Iditarod.

I wouldn't have corrected the typo, but I did it for others who are dumb like me, and would spend time trying to figure out what it meant as written. ;)

Have any of you folks attended any part of this awesome trek?
I follow it every year. It's amazing how the race director and the staff work together with the mushers on safety. There are times when the officials just have to back off from the weather, hunker down, and hope that the racers make it through to the next checkpoint.

Scientific American had a fascinating article on the dogs:
Learning Fat-Burning Secrets from Sled Dogs: Scientific American
Glycogen turns out to be a crucial piece of the metabolic switch. During the first few days of racing, sled dogs draw energy from glycogen stored inside muscle cells. But instead of depleting glycogen stores and tiring the muscles, the animals suddenly switch to a glycogen-sparing metabolism. They start drawing energy from sources outside of the muscles.

Davis suggests that the muscle cells start extracting fat directly from the blood and somehow transport this fat across the cell membranes and into the cells, where it can be burned as fuel. During race times, fat builds up in a sled dog’s blood, most likely because of the high-fat racing diet. Each 50-pound canine consumes about 12,000 calories daily (typically 60 percent fat and 40 percent carbohydrate and protein).

I can't wait for science to adapt the "sled dog diet" to humans...

On a T-shirt: "Alaska, where men are men and women win the Iditarod"

I watched a few starts in the 70ies. One year it was kind of warm in Anchorage, but they did truck in enough snow to get the race underway.

Where men are men and women win the Iditarod.

I wouldn't have corrected the typo, but I did it for others who are dumb like me, and would spend time trying to figure out what it meant as written. ;)

"Where men are men, some women win the Iditarod, and other women can't even type"

We were on an Alaska cruise a couple years back, and one of the shows they did was an appearance (with required Q&A and book signing) with Libby Riddles. It was pretty neat to hear first-hand about some of what goes on behind running an Iditarod and what thoughts go through the minds of the mushers.

Back
Top Bottom