Join Early Retirement Today

IE security problems - again
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

IE security problems - again

For anyone still using Internet Explorer, now might be a good time to consider switching to Firefox or some other browser...

Microsoft working on emergency patch for Internet Explorer - Technology Live - USATODAY.com

You may want to stop using your Internet Explorer browser -- at least for the next day or so. Microsoft just announced that it is preparing an emergency patch to plug a gaping security hole that cyber criminals have been using to grab control of unsuspecting IE users' machines. The software giant plans to issue the remedy some
time on Wednesday.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Just to add -- this apparently only affects IE version 7. Those still on version 6 (and there are quite a few) don't seem to be impacted. My megacorp has never supported IE 7 and has specifically forbidden employees from installing it on company computers. Still, I prefer Firefox anyway.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My IE is so hosed that I haven't been able to use it for the last year. That doesn't mean that a number of other programs don't use it, or call it without any regard to my wishes. My copy of firefox has become contaminated as well, so I'm currently using Netscape, which has lasted the longest of the bunch. Maybe it the sites I'm visiting? haha
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
My copy of firefox has become contaminated as well...
Why not download a new version and replace it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
Maybe it the sites I'm visiting? haha
No comment...

Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think Firefox is a better browser anyway - more stable, faster (at least subjectively), lots of customizability.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE? I've considered giving it a try, but I seem to recall recently reading that there are some concerns regarding Firefox's security. I don't remember the details. Microsoft propaganda?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE? I've considered giving it a try, but I seem to recall recently reading that there are some concerns regarding Firefox's security. I don't remember the details. Microsoft propaganda?
From the Firefox site:

What makes Firefox different? Most importantly, were open. That means anyone around the world (and we have thousands of experts watching our back) is able to look into our code and find any potential weak spots in our armor.

And when we hear about a problem, we roll up our sleeves and get to work fixing it right away. Its in your best interest (and ours) to take care of the issue, even if it means admitting were a little less than perfect.

Compare that to IE, where only Microsoft programmers can see the code...supposedly.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE?
One view is - who cares?

If the end result is that it is more secure, then it is more secure. Anyhow, there are plenty of other good reasons to switch to FireFox, or one of the other open source browsers. Just do it!

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For anyone still using Internet Explorer, now might be a good time to consider switching to Firefox or some other browser...

Microsoft working on emergency patch for Internet Explorer - Technology Live - USATODAY.com

You may want to stop using your Internet Explorer browser -- at least for the next day or so. Microsoft just announced that it is preparing an emergency patch to plug a gaping security hole that cyber criminals have been using to grab control of unsuspecting IE users' machines. The software giant plans to issue the remedy some
time on Wednesday.
BTW FF had a significant up date this morning too. Opera seems to be fine (no current updates to download/install).
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been using FireFox. No problems with that one, yet.

But, just wondering...Do any of you use "SeaMonkey", (the Mozilla browser that has the email incorporated with it, like Netscape)? If so, how do you like it and have you had any problems with it? I was thinking of downloading it...