IE security problems - again

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
For anyone still using Internet Explorer, now might be a good time to consider switching to Firefox or some other browser...

Microsoft working on emergency patch for Internet Explorer - Technology Live - USATODAY.com

You may want to stop using your Internet Explorer browser -- at least for the next day or so. Microsoft just announced that it is preparing an emergency patch to plug a gaping security hole that cyber criminals have been using to grab control of unsuspecting IE users' machines. The software giant plans to issue the remedy some
time on Wednesday.

Just to add -- this apparently only affects IE version 7. Those still on version 6 (and there are quite a few) don't seem to be impacted. My megacorp has never supported IE 7 and has specifically forbidden employees from installing it on company computers. Still, I prefer Firefox anyway.

My IE is so hosed that I haven't been able to use it for the last year. That doesn't mean that a number of other programs don't use it, or call it without any regard to my wishes. My copy of firefox has become contaminated as well, so I'm currently using Netscape, which has lasted the longest of the bunch. Maybe it the sites I'm visiting? haha

Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE? I've considered giving it a try, but I seem to recall recently reading that there are some concerns regarding Firefox's security. I don't remember the details. Microsoft propaganda?

Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE? I've considered giving it a try, but I seem to recall recently reading that there are some concerns regarding Firefox's security. I don't remember the details. Microsoft propaganda?
From the Firefox site:

What makes Firefox different? Most importantly, we’re open. That means anyone around the world (and we have thousands of experts watching our back) is able to look into our code and find any potential weak spots in our armor.

And when we hear about a problem, we roll up our sleeves and get to work fixing it right away. It’s in your best interest (and ours) to take care of the issue, even if it means admitting we’re a little less than perfect.

Compare that to IE, where only Microsoft programmers can see the code...supposedly.

Is Firefox really more secure, or just not as targeted as IE?

One view is - who cares?

If the end result is that it is more secure, then it is more secure. Anyhow, there are plenty of other good reasons to switch to FireFox, or one of the other open source browsers. Just do it!

-ERD50

For anyone still using Internet Explorer, now might be a good time to consider switching to Firefox or some other browser...

Microsoft working on emergency patch for Internet Explorer - Technology Live - USATODAY.com

You may want to stop using your Internet Explorer browser -- at least for the next day or so. Microsoft just announced that it is preparing an emergency patch to plug a gaping security hole that cyber criminals have been using to grab control of unsuspecting IE users' machines. The software giant plans to issue the remedy some
time on Wednesday.

BTW FF had a significant up date this morning too. Opera seems to be fine (no current updates to download/install).

I have been using FireFox. No problems with that one, yet.

But, just wondering...Do any of you use "SeaMonkey", (the Mozilla browser that has the email incorporated with it, like Netscape)? If so, how do you like it and have you had any problems with it? I was thinking of downloading it...

Back
Top Bottom