Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Re: If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: If An Intruder Entered Your Home What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

By the way, I think we should grab all people who answer "dont know" to a simple 5 question poll and whisk them away to an undisclosed location where they never interact with people or reproduce again.

The world would be a far better place.
These are probably the "smart" people that just want more information. "Is the intruder bigger than me?" or "Can I easily get to my gun.", etc. The people conducting the survey have to say "Just answer the question Mr. Smith" and eventually they just put you down as N/A or "don't know" or Other or whatever. When conducting surveys, you always have to allow for indecisive idiots, though.

Another possible cure is have these people act as intruder targets.

-CC
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
First he'd fall over the pile of kids toys littered everywhere, spraining his ankle and cracking his head open.
Yup. The "funny" thing is that when the floor of my house gets too cluttered, this is what I think of to justify the mess! But the real answer is probably to hide.

Oops, just realized this is a very old thread. I was doing a search on something totally different and this came up! Obviously easily distracted!
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I second the "shake husband awake and tell him I hear something". We don't have a gun, but he keeps a nifty hammer by the bed and is also a martial arts expert, so we have a fighting chance. Also, I'd be ready to help out by hitting the intruder with anything I could find handy.

DH always says he can't catch bullets in his teeth, but short of that...well, I wouldn't want to be the intruder. : )
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beat a hasty retreat while said intruder figures out how to handle our dog (pit mix who's not known for his manners around people we don't like). I love my dog, but if it comes down to saving his hide or my wife's and mine, I think he'd understand if he had to bring up the rear guard.

Other than that, I don't care what they take in the house. I carry insurance for a reason and everything is either replaceable or backed up offsite.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone who enters my property uninvited will not leave alive!
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I live in the city, we get intruders all the time. Oh, you do mean the neighbors dogs and cats, don't you. My nine pound cat takes care of re-marking the territory, the cats have to stay beyond the landing and the dogs, well she just makes herself bigger, the hair remains up on her back for hours.

In the old neighborhood, a window was broken while we were on vacation. I'm still disappointed that the burglars didn't find any of our stuff good enough to take.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #107

Easy:

Two in the chest, one in the head.

NEXT!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to change my vote to "cue the banjo music..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Easy:

Two in the chest, one in the head.

NEXT!
Kinda like an old friend of mine said many years ago when he was tower guard at a prison: "If a prisoner tries to escape, we're supposed to fire 3 shots. One in the ground as a warning to stop. If that doesn't work, one in an extremity to try to stop them. If they continue their attempt to escape, one final shot to kill them. But the bullets aren't numbered....so we shoot to kill, which makes hitting an extremity much easier.....then put the final one in the ground as a warning! There's less paper work if you kill them, than there is if you just 'wing' them."
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #110

I've heard from police officers that they are trained to shoot only to kill. That it's too hard and ineffective to try and shoot extremities... the act of shooting and not hitting someone is definitely going to put the shooter in danger.

Even in the city police aren't necessarily reliable. See this recent story for one nightmare story:

Couple say S.F. cops ignored their calls about New Year's Eve intruder

but I'd take that nightmare over having to clean up a pool of blood and spend weeks sorting the incident out in court.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #111

That is kind of amazing. Makes me embarrassed to acknowledge that I'm a retired police officer, but I never saw anything like that. Probably what happened is the one with the flat tire failed to notify the dispatcher, compounding the error by failing to just walk the half-block and worry about the tire later.

You're right about not trying to "wound" someone. It would be difficult to articulate to a grand jury why a "wounding" shot killed. Shooting a weapon out of the bad guy's hand only happens in the movies.

Shooting someone (fortunately I never had to, only came close to it once) is a black & white decision & the rules on it are clear-cut on paper. In real life the shades of gray are infinite.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'd tell him/her to say "hello to my little friend" !
Is Frayne talking about a very little friend?

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

How many people would like Wags to try and break into their house tonight?

Uh...God bless!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #114

Quote:

Uh...God bless!!
Is it wrong that I laughed?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

What i answered is brief conversation over the barrel of a gun. What i have done when weird noises bring me awake is to head downstairs all sneaky and tense-like and bare of firearms or clothing. Try and be really quiet and not wake my girl, 'cause my short honey is just devoid of fear - when younger she had no qualms about getting up in the face of various biker types, which made for tense moments for me. I'm a peaceful type.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Is it wrong that I laughed?
Had you ended your post with 'god bless', you'd have been fine. That seems to correct any and all flaws that might occur in the post or its intent.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #117

Quote:
Had you ended your post with 'god bless', you'd have been fine. That seems to correct any and all flaws that might occur in the post or its intent.
See Im still fairly new. However I will end with

RENEW RENEW
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #118

Quote:

Uh...God bless!!
++++++++!
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Carousel! Carousel!

...oh...and GOD BLESS!!!

and the venerable
Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I'm glad I revived this thread. That's for the laughs!

BTW, I've often wonder why police don't aim for extremities in those shooting cases... now I know! Only in the movies.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote