Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 62 39.74%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.82%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.31%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.77%
Don't know 7 4.49%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.54%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.28%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.49%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.28%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Not only would that be extremely funny but it would it would be great material for a whole new thread!

Uh...GOD BLESS
That sure would give several meanings to "anal intruder"...

darn...couldnt find the "intruder", but start of the movie is fitting for this thread...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i think anyone who thinks its easy to hit something close range with a shotgun better try it. its like rifle at that range as the shot dosnt spread until quite a distance out

Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think anyone who thinks its easy to hit something close range with a shotgun better try it. its like rifle at that range as the shot dosnt spread until quite a distance out
I think there would be nothing better than a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I think there would be nothing better than a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot.
One of my fellow engineers used to have the first couple rounds as snake shot in the ragged out 38 revolver he took Blackberry picking in the Honey Island Swamp - that way you didn't shoot a hole in the Piroque when the Water Mocasins dropped in.

I suppose they have modern people versions.

heh heh heh - worked good on snakes.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
One of my fellow engineers used to have the first couple rounds as snake shot in the ragged out 38 revolver he took Blackberry picking in the Honey Island Swamp - that way you didn't shoot a hole in the Piroque when the Water Mocasins dropped in.

I suppose they have modern people versions.

heh heh heh - worked good on snakes.
Not enough shot on target reliably. It is easy enough for a hyped up person to keep coming after a .38 spl 158 gr hit in the torso, same even with the 9mm.

But like Martha says, a torso hit at close range with a load of 00 buckshot will perform a partial torsectomy.

Ha
Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #166

Shotgun, You know that sound when the baby is being loaded.

Plus I like this comment from earlier in this thread...

Could I shoot another human being? HELL yes!! I would have NO qualms at all!!! Especially since I really don't like most humans all that well anyway!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #167

In general, a 12 ga shot pattern will open up about 1" for every yard of travel from the barrel. So, an intruder 20 feet away (about 7 yards) will "see" a pattern over 7 inches in diameter. That is sure a lot larger area than a 9mm or even a .45 would occupy at the same distance.

Like my dad used to say.."with a shotgun you don't need to be good....just close.."

I vote for the 12 ga.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Like my dad used to say.."with a shotgun you don't need to be good....just close.."
Like James Caan's character in "El Dorado", 'Alan Bourdillion Traherne', a.k.a. 'Mississippi'. He carried a sawed-off shotgun pistol.....because he wasn't a very good aim....he just aimed it in the general direction of his intended target.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Like James Caan's character in "El Dorado", 'Alan Bourdillion Traherne', a.k.a. 'Mississippi'. He carried a sawed-off shotgun pistol.....because he wasn't a very good aim....he just aimed it in the general direction of his intended target.
And so a Stage Coach shotgun from a Cowboy Action supplier wouldn't get me in trouble with the Geneva Convention but my dog gassing an intruder with a Bacon fart would be considered torture?

Eh?

heh heh heh
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
And so a Stage Coach shotgun from a Cowboy Action supplier wouldn't get me in trouble with the Geneva Convention but my dog gassing an intruder with a Bacon fart would be considered torture?

Eh?

heh heh heh
As I sit here with a horribly smelly dog, I'd wager that bacon fart gassing would be the most inhumane to kill a man.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

You rednecks scare the sh*t out of me.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
You rednecks scare the sh*t out of me.
GOD BLESS
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think Wags is the most fascinating Jesus guy I have ever had the pleasure of "meeting".

And now, let's give it up for the great George Harrison!

Ha
Hey, you are the most fascinating haha person I have ever met.

I loved the George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (you tube)

Joan Osborne-What if God was one of us

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
In general, a 12 ga shot pattern will open up about 1" for every yard of travel from the barrel. So, an intruder 20 feet away (about 7 yards) will "see" a pattern over 7 inches in diameter. That is sure a lot larger area than a 9mm or even a .45 would occupy at the same distance.

I vote for the 12 ga.
a home encounter would usually end up happening under 3 or 4 feet, the spread of oo shot is less than 1" at that distance. ,the risk of missing is pretty great . in fact over 90% of self defense shootings usually end up within 6 ft despite the fact they confrontation starts much farther apart according to fbi crime statistics.. and again its sooooooo easy to get a rifle or shot gun out of someones hands at close range if they even hesitate for a second. if the intruder hides behind a corner as you come around its almost a given he can grab the barrell and get it away. you may feel better about having a long arm for self defense in close quarters but being untrained you may do better with a bat.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Not enough shot on target reliably. It is easy enough for a hyped up person to keep coming after a .38 spl 158 gr hit in the torso, same even with the 9mm.

But like Martha says, a torso hit at close range with a load of 00 buckshot will perform a partial torsectomy.

Ha

mag-safe or glasser rounds are probley the best you can get for home defense. they are made in all handgun calibers. they are tradional hollowpoints but break apart on contact with fluid and release tiny pellets to enhance secondary wound channels and to keep the round from passing thru and hitting another person . origionally designed for the sky marshalls these rounds can pass thru a wood barrier in front of your target but wont pass thru a coke can once hydraulic pressure opens them up.. at 6.00 bucks a shot they arent cheap but well worth it if you hit a bystander or loved one because the round passed thru the target
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
... time machining project ...

I want to know more about this time machine thing.

oh, yeah... GOD BLESS
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Hey! You forgot to say something stupid or annoying before the inexplicable "god bless".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey! You forgot to say something stupid or annoying before the inexplicable "god bless".

Good point. That's usually not very difficult for me but right now Im having trouble developing the proper level of insipid counter productive whining. Maybe I need more coffee.

Um GOD BLESS.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Coffee? I'm thinking booze and benadryl.

I think I'm gonna go off the hybrid GB and triple smiley and just go with the angels.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #180

Nah, The GOD BLESS thing is much more offensive.

Oh.... GOD BLESS !