If you volunteer?

I volunteer one day a month(4 hours) dog walking for the humane society. One of my co-workers works with me as I am her helper.. She got me involved when I adopted my pug a couple of years ago. I still work full time but have a very flexible schedule.

I'm not yet retired, but my folks are - they volunteer on a tourist railroad.

When I volunteer I'm going to get with a group that takes animals to hospitals, because I realize what a total thrill it was when two ladies brought around 2 Shelties when my mother was in the hospital last summer. You would think mom, son and I had never seen dogs before we carried on so. Of course, only animal lovers would like this sort of visit, and we surely did. After a long, lengthy hospital stay you get mighty hungry for nature and animals I think. (Much to my surprise the gals told me some people tell them they aren't interested in seeing the dogs.)

Define "heartbreak." If you mean look at these animals who have no home, how heartbreaking. I'd respond, look at these animals who have a safe place to stay while the shelter finds them a home.

But be aware that volunteering at an animal shelter is work, without you the full time paid employees would have to do the work they've assigned to you.

-- Rita

When I say heartbreak, in this case I mean being around animals that have to be euthanised because of overcrowding, or animals that have been badly abused. There are wonderful people who handle these situations with grace; I know I wouldn't be one of them.

I'm not even limiting myself to working at a shelter - I've considered volunteering at a local animal sanctuary (a small farm with large animals that have been rescued). I might end up seeing if I can do something like maintain a website for an organization like this.

You might check in your area for a 'no kill' animal rescue group. They keep the animals until a permanent placement is found. There are all sorts of volunteer opportunities with them.

One that might involve little/no heartbreak involves taking a select group of animals to a specific site (around here it's often one of the large pet stores) on a weekend and display the caged animals and hopefully find forever homes for them.

omni

This is a great idea for me - Thanks!

For those that do or have volunteered I would be interested in hearing what you do volunteer wise and what you enjoy or don't like about your particular opportunity.

...The second is as a food packer at the Food Bank (Freebird think you do something similar?).
Yes, I go once a month to help sort food and pack food units. It is a great w*rkout and there is zero politics or meetings involved.
It is good brainless w*rk and oh so rewarding.

I drove 1.5 years for the DAV Transportation Network when I first FIREd. It was a wonderful activity. Unfortunately, some intense cross-fire between some personalities (not me involved) took the fun out of it. It reminded me too much of w*rk. :nonono:
Add to that some questionable Go/NoGo practices in extreme winter weather for which my safety advice went unheeded.
So I discontinued.
I have convinced myself that I need to revisit doing that after the winter is over. I miss the guys (disabled vets) a lot. This is a service I can easily do, just drive a van and get folks home safe.

One of the best volunteer gigs my husband has had was as a nursing home ombudsman. He received a letter from AARP telling him a local ombudsman was needed (when we lived in OH). The program wasn't run by AARP but somehow they were involved in the recruiting.

He went through training and became the ombudsman for our local county home. It was a great place where the residents were happy and well-cared for so he didn't hear many complaints. He was supposed to visit at least once per month but he visited once a week. Both the staff and the residents loved him.

The rest of his week was spent volunteering with the Red Cross.

Maybe this doesn't really fit in the volunteering thread, but one thing I have done almost every year for the past 7 or 8 is playing Santa for the kids at my parents' Church. Only happens once a year, only takes a couple hours. But oh to see the children's eyes light up like Christmas trees...priceless! Hope I get to do it again this year.

R

I deliver meals to elderly/shut-in's through the local Meals-On-Wheels organization, twice a week.

I deliver meals to elderly/shut-in's through the local Meals-On-Wheels organization, twice a week.

I just started doing the same. Also twice a week. It is gratifying, and I thought this might be a topic worth resurrecting. I am amazed by some of the houses I deliver to. Folks who have had a long and semi prosperous life now need to get at least one meal a day delivered. Is this a crystal ball? Volunteering is a good thing, if you can swing it.

Charlotte is a new hero of mine. School libraries need the volunteers. She is right; the books just keep circulating. That is a good thing, but sure takes a lot of maintaining. I was a school librarian 30 years. They need you.

I have been a hospice volunteer for over ten years. You said this was out, and that is understandable, (i know i could not volunteer to help with abused children, but have friends that do and it is so important...but I just cannot fathom it) i have met many really great folks via hospice and it is mainly joy-filled, not usually sad. OK, sometimes it is very sad....Some fascinating life stories.

My DD was telling me about a friend who fosters dogs that have been abused. I am very interested in that, not immediately, because our dog is elderly and does not need that added. But, down the road....DH and i may volunteer for that. We would have take a vow NOT to adopt. Easier said, than done. :(

Border collie rescue. I am the volunteer treasurer, foster home for dogs, and do home visits and transport when needed. Great thing to help these dogs find their forever homes! Been doing it for 10 years.

Before DW and I FIREd we wrote a short list of several volunteer organizations/events we might enjoy. I checked out several of them via phone calls and personal visits to ensure the situation was what I expected. So we both left our employers knowing there were options for us if we found ourselves staring at the walls.

Reading this thread has given me several more good ideas in the event I find myself looking for more options.

For now we are plenty busy: DW volunteers at church as a wedding guild member. She doesn't organize the wedding but simply represents the church to ensure the wedding party is aware of the church requirements. Both of us volunteer periodically for the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate. In addition, we travel with our RV and work with Habitat in their RV Care-A-Vanner program. We've done RV CAV stints in Florida, New Jersey, Michigan, Louisiana and New Mexico. Later this year we'll be in Kentucky, Missouri and Arizona. The Habitat RV CAV program is a great fit for us. Here's a link:

RV Care-A-Vanners | Habitat for Humanity Int'l

In retrospect, volunteering has just been a normal art of life...30+ years in scouting, church youth leader, Jr. Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Administration consulting, teaching classes, and in retirement an average of 25 hours/week helping with computers, working on activities committee stuff, etc...in our community.

Funny, in truth, never thought of this as volunteering... just a matter of liking people and feeling good about helping. So, in a way, if volunteering is a job and w**k, I guess I don't qualify. :blush:

As mentioned a few times in other threads, I volunteer at free clinics in the US and abroad. I am the medical director of a couple of free clinics in Central America, and possibly Asia or Eastern Europe also in the next few years.

Last edited:
All of my volunteering in recent years has been tied to our church: I volunteer my time as small group ministry leader, and spend some weeks either as worship leader or associate. I also help out with promoting our community outreach efforts.

My E.R. at 44 was forced upon me due to declining vision in a profession that requires good vision. I returned to school, became a Clinical Social Worker and have volunteered these services part time for 12 years now at a local agency. It is immensely rewarding in lots of ways - helping others really feels good and I have a new purpose along with a whole new field to explore and study - - - all this without the stresses of w*rk as it is a total volunteer position.

Last edited:
I've been a Cops volunteer and CERT volunteer in our town for the past 5 years. The only downside for me has been trying to schedule my volunteer days, as I'm still working and I need to compete with mostly retired folks for getting the particular patrol days that I want each month.

When I retire in a few months, I would like to get involved in Habitat for Humanity, as I've always enjoyed woodworking and carpentry.

When I ER 2 yrs ago I started taking classes at our local university Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I saw that they were light on science courses so I offered to put one together for them. I lined up four speakers for 6 classes and the class was a success. I have a 2nd class starting in 2 weeks. So basically, I am keeping my hand in science by volunteering to organize classes for other retired folks. It's low stress and has been fun. They asked me to participate in their curriculum committee too.

My E.R. at 44 was forced upon me due to declining vision in a profession that requires good vision. I returned to school, became a Clinical Social Worker and have volunteered these services part time for 12 years now at a local agency. It is immensely rewarding in lots of ways - helping others really feels good and I have a new purpose along with a whole new field to explore and study - - - all this without the stresses of w*rk as it is a total volunteer position.

I have wondered if something like this was a possibility. I'm still working part-time in a different field but I am an L.M.S.W. I never worked in the field however and graduates about 15 years ago (I originally planned to change careers but then didn't do it). One of things I would really like to do when I fully retire is to use my social degree to volunteer.

I have wondered if something like this was a possibility. I'm still working part-time in a different field but I am an L.M.S.W. I never worked in the field however and graduates about 15 years ago (I originally planned to change careers but then didn't do it). One of things I would really like to do when I fully retire is to use my social degree to volunteer.

My degree is LCSW. Volunteers are always welcome at agencies as you are supplying free labor and the agency is getting reimbursed - just works for me at this time in my life. Depending upon your licensure status and experience, agencies will properly place you so it is a win - win. At the agency where I volunteer, there are many volunteers filling various roles and not all are licensed. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

I was elected to the Board of Directors of our local United Way several months before I decided to ER. I chair the IT committee and help out with a lot of IT projects, then after ER I was asked to be Board Secretary and thus also join the Board Governance committee. Recently I switched from the Resource Development (Fundraising) to Finance committee. All that averages about 4 hours a week most of the time, although sometimes much more.

Just after making the decision to ER, I was asked to serve in a regional committee for my church's denomination, working with churches seeking pastors and those having difficulties. I am responsible for several congregation and also coordinate assignments for the other committee members in this particular area. This again averages about 4 hours a week, although much more when I'm working with churches an hour+ drive away.

At my own church, I'm involved with choir, stewardship, and just starting up a taskforce to redo the website. I also occasionally teach an adult education class and volunteer with a couple of our homeless ministries every month or two. Probably averages closer to 6 hours/week.

So I'm pretty much a professional volunteer these days!

Foster parent for the SPCA - currently on hold as the last kitten we had gave both our own cat and one of my daughters ringworm.:nonono:

A group of us organise an annual 10K running race to raise money for charity. Last year the money went to the Starwood Foundation (which supports underfunded schools in developing countries).

Not really a charity, but I serve on various Law Society committees. I'll have to step down from these once I retire.

I'm still w*rking - so have fewer hours to volunteer - so that makes me selective in what I give my time to.

Since I have sons, ages 10 and 12, I try to focus on things that will benefit them.
- I coach a F.I.R.S.T. Lego Robotics team. During the season that's about 10 hours/week. (and exhausting.) Fortunately, the season is limited - only 4-5 months - and the first month is fewer hours.
- I'm on the board of directors for a non-profit foundation at my sons' public school. The foundation funds enrichment programs the school district can't afford. So I'm involved in fundraising, outreach, herding parents, supporting the teachers... It's about 3-4 hours month except right before the big fundraising dinner... probably 10 hours/week for a few weeks, then.
- I volunteer in the class and chaperone field trips. That's about 2 hours month except when they have long multi-day field trips - then it's 16 hour days for 2-10 days.

When I retire, I plan to continue the above or similar, and will also consider becoming a docent for some local gardens.

Having FIRE'd last June, this is the first time that I felt i could commit to volunteering

I have signed up and will be working with AARP TaxAide to do income taxes for seniors -so far seems like a great group of folks and really dedicated to the effort

Then in June I will be volunteering at the USOPEN (golf) at Merion, PA.

Back
Top Bottom