Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All of my volunteering in recent years has been tied to our church: I volunteer my time as small group ministry leader, and spend some weeks either as worship leader or associate. I also help out with promoting our community outreach efforts.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

My E.R. at 44 was forced upon me due to declining vision in a profession that requires good vision. I returned to school, became a Clinical Social Worker and have volunteered these services part time for 12 years now at a local agency. It is immensely rewarding in lots of ways - helping others really feels good and I have a new purpose along with a whole new field to explore and study - - - all this without the stresses of w*rk as it is a total volunteer position.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #43
gone traveling

I've been a Cops volunteer and CERT volunteer in our town for the past 5 years. The only downside for me has been trying to schedule my volunteer days, as I'm still working and I need to compete with mostly retired folks for getting the particular patrol days that I want each month.

When I retire in a few months, I would like to get involved in Habitat for Humanity, as I've always enjoyed woodworking and carpentry.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #44

When I ER 2 yrs ago I started taking classes at our local university Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I saw that they were light on science courses so I offered to put one together for them. I lined up four speakers for 6 classes and the class was a success. I have a 2nd class starting in 2 weeks. So basically, I am keeping my hand in science by volunteering to organize classes for other retired folks. It's low stress and has been fun. They asked me to participate in their curriculum committee too.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
My E.R. at 44 was forced upon me due to declining vision in a profession that requires good vision. I returned to school, became a Clinical Social Worker and have volunteered these services part time for 12 years now at a local agency. It is immensely rewarding in lots of ways - helping others really feels good and I have a new purpose along with a whole new field to explore and study - - - all this without the stresses of w*rk as it is a total volunteer position.

I have wondered if something like this was a possibility. I'm still working part-time in a different field but I am an L.M.S.W. I never worked in the field however and graduates about 15 years ago (I originally planned to change careers but then didn't do it). One of things I would really like to do when I fully retire is to use my social degree to volunteer.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I have wondered if something like this was a possibility. I'm still working part-time in a different field but I am an L.M.S.W. I never worked in the field however and graduates about 15 years ago (I originally planned to change careers but then didn't do it). One of things I would really like to do when I fully retire is to use my social degree to volunteer.
My degree is LCSW. Volunteers are always welcome at agencies as you are supplying free labor and the agency is getting reimbursed - just works for me at this time in my life. Depending upon your licensure status and experience, agencies will properly place you so it is a win - win. At the agency where I volunteer, there are many volunteers filling various roles and not all are licensed. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #47

I was elected to the Board of Directors of our local United Way several months before I decided to ER. I chair the IT committee and help out with a lot of IT projects, then after ER I was asked to be Board Secretary and thus also join the Board Governance committee. Recently I switched from the Resource Development (Fundraising) to Finance committee. All that averages about 4 hours a week most of the time, although sometimes much more.

Just after making the decision to ER, I was asked to serve in a regional committee for my church's denomination, working with churches seeking pastors and those having difficulties. I am responsible for several congregation and also coordinate assignments for the other committee members in this particular area. This again averages about 4 hours a week, although much more when I'm working with churches an hour+ drive away.

At my own church, I'm involved with choir, stewardship, and just starting up a taskforce to redo the website. I also occasionally teach an adult education class and volunteer with a couple of our homeless ministries every month or two. Probably averages closer to 6 hours/week.

So I'm pretty much a professional volunteer these days!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #48

Foster parent for the SPCA - currently on hold as the last kitten we had gave both our own cat and one of my daughters ringworm.

A group of us organise an annual 10K running race to raise money for charity. Last year the money went to the Starwood Foundation (which supports underfunded schools in developing countries).

Not really a charity, but I serve on various Law Society committees. I'll have to step down from these once I retire.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #49

I'm still w*rking - so have fewer hours to volunteer - so that makes me selective in what I give my time to.

Since I have sons, ages 10 and 12, I try to focus on things that will benefit them.
- I coach a F.I.R.S.T. Lego Robotics team. During the season that's about 10 hours/week. (and exhausting.) Fortunately, the season is limited - only 4-5 months - and the first month is fewer hours.
- I'm on the board of directors for a non-profit foundation at my sons' public school. The foundation funds enrichment programs the school district can't afford. So I'm involved in fundraising, outreach, herding parents, supporting the teachers... It's about 3-4 hours month except right before the big fundraising dinner... probably 10 hours/week for a few weeks, then.
- I volunteer in the class and chaperone field trips. That's about 2 hours month except when they have long multi-day field trips - then it's 16 hour days for 2-10 days.

When I retire, I plan to continue the above or similar, and will also consider becoming a docent for some local gardens.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Having FIRE'd last June, this is the first time that I felt i could commit to volunteering

I have signed up and will be working with AARP TaxAide to do income taxes for seniors -so far seems like a great group of folks and really dedicated to the effort

Then in June I will be volunteering at the USOPEN (golf) at Merion, PA.
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #51

In looking back through this thread, I see where I mentioned that I had thought about working in our local food bank.

Well this past summer I started volunteering in the food banks new vegetable garden. The garden has 32 raised beds and a small orchard. I work one or two mornings a week depending on the season and we grow whatever vegetables produce well for the season. It's very rewarding to pick vegetables, walk them over to the food bank and see them distributed to people who need some help feeding their family.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #52

Until the end of 2012, I served as a Senior Peer Counselor for the elder care part of our city. Finishing with my most recent client, I decided that after nearly 3 years of volunteering, I wanted no commitments for 2013 so that DH and I can travel more without having to worry about rescheduling client meetings.

Those meetings, and having to complete timesheets and write accompanying follow-up reports, felt too much like w*rk sometimes!
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Those meetings, and having to complete timesheets and write accompanying follow-up reports, felt too much like w*rk sometimes!
+1

Precisely why I gave up on any 'regular gig' volunteering after a couple of years. Too much like a job with really lousy pay.

I find an occasional one-off volunteering event is more to my liking.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Foster parent for the SPCA - currently on hold as the last kitten we had gave both our own cat and one of my daughters ringworm.
I've fostered kittens for years and treated those with ringworm often. If you decide to foster again, set up a large cage in a spare room seperate from your pets and don't let others handle them, particularly children since they are prone to ringworm. If you have an extra bathroom, this works well too. I often use gloves particularly for kittens than came from outdoors even if no ringworm is visable.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #55

I am a volunteer Consultant with SCORE. Service Corps of Retired Executives.

Also visit a local Alzheimer's home monthly to conduct a church service. We then spend time with residents who need comfort, a willing ear to listen, and prayer.

Until recently, was Executive Director for a local nonprofit providing alternatives to legal processes for low income people. The nonprofit was combined with another nonprofit that had better facilities and more resources.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've fostered kittens for years and treated those with ringworm often. If you decide to foster again, set up a large cage in a spare room seperate from your pets and don't let others handle them, particularly children since they are prone to ringworm. If you have an extra bathroom, this works well too. I often use gloves particularly for kittens than came from outdoors even if no ringworm is visable.
I don't think I could foster kittens. Just get to attached to them.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I love reading about others' volunteer gigs. I volunteer at our local animal shelter once a week evaluating dogs, which means gauging their temperament as much as possible, seeing what commands they know, etc. I'm a tutor at the place that teaches English to non-native English speakers as well as helping in the preschool sometimes. Also volunteer weekly in a first grade classroom, mostly helping with reading, but doing anything the teacher wants me to do. There are a couple other things, but those are my big three.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote