I'm going to miss the Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Regardless of your political leanings, if you have a sense of humor you have to enjoy some of Jon Stewart's dialogues. Great writers and delivery by Stewart.

I really give him credit for leaving at the top of his game and going into early retirement to enjoy his family and kids.

+1.
I didn't always agree with everything he was saying, but he managed to pretty much make all of it amusing to me!

+1. Where are we supposed to get our real news now? Certainly not ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC or FOX...

Attachments

• o-JON-STEWART-APOLOGIZES-FOR-US-facebook.jpg
    o-JON-STEWART-APOLOGIZES-FOR-US-facebook.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I will miss him, too! DH and I both enjoyed watching his show.

I will miss Jon as well. Ironincally, no one brings more serious evidence and reason to many of the conversations than does Jon.

Regardless of your political leanings, if you have a sense of humor you have to enjoy some of Jon Stewart's dialogues. Great writers and delivery by Stewart.

I really give him credit for leaving at the top of his game and going into early retirement to enjoy his family and kids.

I know I'll be in the minority here:

I always thought he was funny, but I also believed him to be a bully; cherry picking and using snark and ridicule as his vehicle.

Only later did I learn that his primary driver as a comedian was that he'd been bullied as a teenager.

So to me he was no better than those who bullied him, but who said bullies can't be funny?

I too shall miss him.

I'm very glad Jessica Williams is staying, she's really come into her own.

I know I'll be in the minority here:

I always thought he was funny, but I also believed him to be a bully; cherry picking and using snark and ridicule as his vehicle.

Only later did I learn that his primary driver as a comedian was that he'd been bullied as a teenager.

So to me he was no better than those who bullied him, but who said bullies can't be funny?

Excellent observations. A funny guy but he so often framed situations to his advantage and without two sides to a story, you really just had to focus on the slap-stick delivery and goofy facial expressions as opposed to content. He knows his audience.

He is a huge financial success and a clever businessman in putting together his formula and he now has the $$$ to prove it! I tip my hat.

Last edited:
I will miss Stewart a lot. His replacement can not possibly fill his shoes. I hope the new guy at least makes the show watchable. I didn't continue watching Colbert's replacement for more than a few weeks. I hope the Daily Show continues to be worthy of my time though I know it will never be the same.

I think you have to remember his show was political satire filled with an abundance of sarcasm. Personally I don't think he cherry picked or was any more snarky than most of the other talking head pundits posing as serious political commentators.

I thought he was often very amusing. He seemed to project an attitude of amusement on politics in general, although the most outrageous got more than their share of his time.

He certainly gave Fox News a lot of free publicity. And he managed to get Crossfire cancelled.

I think you have to remember his show was political satire filled with an abundance of sarcasm. Personally I don't think he cherry picked or was any more snarky than most of the other talking head pundits posing as serious political commentators.

It was satire but I suspect a lot of folks thought it was a news show. I read somewhere that a notable portion of the population only got their news through him.

As funny as he was, he just reminded me too much of those a-holes back in high school who'd stand around mocking the way people walked, talked, dressed, looked or whatever; they could be funny and spot-on too, but they were still a-holes.

Years ago I watched a few times, found him to be an insufferable boor.

Though I am well right of Stewart, I thought he was mostly reasonably even handed. While he may have taken down conservatives and liberals, it was always triggered by their actions. He certainly skewered plenty of liberals too.

And snarky? Seems like an unavoidable subset of satire. To see Stewart as snarky suggests a viewer measuring Stewart as a neutral journalist, something he never pretended to be.

It was satire but I suspect a lot of folks thought it was a news show. I read somewhere that a notable portion of the population only got their news through him.

+1

I know of more than a few people, particularly the younger ones, who saw this as "real" news and refused to consider all other outlets. It is dangerous to get your "news" from only one source.

I just never took to the show... it just seemed to have an elitist air about it of "we know better than you do" the times I tried to watch it. Perhaps because I prefer comedy/ satire that laughs more at itself than at others. And it seemed that as it grew in popularity it started thinking of itself as more than it actually was. But that is just my opinion.

Wow those post-mortems on his show today were really positive. He left at the top of his game...especially when another bunch of clowns were trying to get our attention.

I understand Stewart is taking a commentator job with the O'Reilly Factor 🚫

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don't think there's anyone else out there that finds video of politicians saying one thing today, and exactly the opposite in the past. I always appreciated the reminder that most talking heads of any stripe are selling you what they want you to buy today, no matter how hypocritical they're being. Yeah, snarky and sarcastic, but most of the recipients deserved to be called out. I'll miss that.

Last edited:
We'll miss him too. We only started watching about 5 years ago, and really feel like we missed out on the first 11. He said things aloud that I only thought. NPR had several pieces on him Thursday, and each one made me feel a little more sad.

Mad Men and Jon Stewart, both gone in one year. Oh, woe is me. ;)

Smart to leave at the top. Some others should have done that. While the ratings were ok the Debate on Fox News did something like 24 million viewers. Daily Show finale...3.5 million viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom