In General, Are Men or Women More Aware of Interpersonal Goings-On?

Which Sex Is More Aware and Accurate in Understanding Social Nuances

• Women

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • Men

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My background expectation is that a women is usually from a half block to about six miles ahead of any given man. When I meet a woman that seems unaware my first impulse is to assume that she is being careful.

So please take the poll, I'd like to know how the rest of you think about this. I also would enjoy comments.

Ha

My background expectation is that a women is usually from a half block to about six miles ahead of any given man. When I meet a woman that seems unaware my first impulse is to assume that she is being careful.

So please take the poll, I'd like to know how the rest of you think about this. I also would enjoy comments.

Ha

Maybe women are in general, but personally I never have been able to figure out was going on.

Women, hands down.
As far as being unaware? I'd call that just plain clueless. Which some women are known to be.

Women are so much more in tune with social nuances that we wouldn't even need a poll about it :2funny:

I think women are more socially paranoid and imaginative making it seem like they are more aware.

I can't tell you how many times women have told me hour long stories of what is happening is someone elses life only to tell the exact opposite story a month later when they notice something they thing in meaningfull in the way someone pronounces a word or flicks a cigarette.

Another thread that confirms that I am not really a woman.

Without women, society as we know it would disappear. In my neighborhood, for example, it is the women who maintain the social bonds. They know what is happening two houses down, who is having trouble and who is going to welcome a new child into the world. We men merely wave to each other as we get in the car. If it weren't for the women, I'm not sure we would spend more than 5 minutes a month talking to each other.

Men and women are equally aware. It is just that men and women have been socialized differently. I think it one of the reasons men die earlier - they do not form the nurturing bonds and it is not proper form for men to express their emotional thoughts in certain venues - including dating - remember the sensitive male in the early 80s - he couldn't mate and died out.

I think women are generally more aware. I have also known men who are much more tuned in and I believe you, Ha, might fit into this category.

remember the sensitive male in the early 80s - he couldn't mate and died out.

I think you're referring to "Sensitive New Age Guys." Listen to this little song by Christine Lavin and you'll understand why these "guys" are oh so much more aware of inter-personal goings on than any of the ladies could ever be.....

YouTube - Christine Lavin - Sensitive New Age Guys

I am much more intuitive at "reading people" (their motives, etc.) than DH. Yes, sometimes I am wrong (agree that women can be hypersensitive to social cues at times), but the majority of the time I am spot on. DH has learned not to disregard my gut instincts about people.

Women are far more aware of interpersonal issues. Guys are too busy thinking about other things they perceive to be more important.

In terms of interpersonal or social nuances in my experience, the women, in general would win hands down. On the other hand, I think men would, in general be more likely to have better situational awareness...i.e., what is physically happening around them. That is not to say that there aren't women who are interpersonal klutzs, or men that are situationally clueless...and vice versa. Just general observations.

R

Like Rambler, I think a lot depends on the individual. I have known women who have gone through life completely unaware of interpersonal dynamics. And then, I have known men who were very sensitive to these issues.

However, if I had to make a sweeping generalization, then I would say that women that I know are more frequently aware of such things than are the men that I know.

Oh, we men are aware - we just don't/can't care.
+1 There is a lot of truth to this. It may really be true that women are more tuned in socially. But a lot of times I have been accused of not picking up on something at home or work because I didn't react to it. In fact I was fully aware of the "issue" but didn't think it needed attending to. Many women assume that what is important to them should be important to men. Men are far less likely to insist that what is important to them should be important to the women in their lives. I am not talking about core values here, but of things like interests (e.g. sports, books, movies, etc.), desires to talk about feelings, issues about behaviors of others (like concerns over slights), and so on. The most common area that women cite their superior awareness/intuition is the behavior of others. Here, in particular, I think men are more aware than given credit for but don't place as high a degree of importance on the matters.

Women are much more aware . Plus I've observed that basically women rule the relationship . If we are happy the guy is happy . It's all very strange .

Women are social creatures, mean are just, well, creatures........:)

That is not to say that there aren't women who are interpersonal klutzs, or men that are situationally clueless...and vice versa. Just general observations.

R

I agree. But generally I think women are more attune to social nuances than men. Because women are usually mothers, and must clue into human nuances starting with infants they are more practiced in getting it right. Survival of the species.

Ask any mother (or wife). They can usually spot a lie with a slight change in voice or flicker or an eyebrow. They can then transfer these clues to society in general. Science takes great pains in studying this topic --Just ask a mother-are they lying or not?

Women, because men aren't stupid...they just don't care (as another poster said). Maybe that alone makes men smarter than us?

Wait a minute! You mean there are nuances going on ? :rant: When did this start? :confused:

Definitely women. I am a disgrace to my gender because I am a female who doesn't always get it. Too blunt and just don't care for drama. To preserve the illusion of being the all knowing female, I married a guy who is absolutely more clueless than I. If I think a social nuance will matter for his career, I clue him in. Otherwise we just live in our own little world that is drama free.

I too think women generally are more aware. At parties, I notice facial expressions, tone of voice, body stance etc... DH looks at the same people and thinks about going home, putting his sweats on and drinking a beer.

Back
Top Bottom