In search of... The Perfect Snow Shovel

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Winter is here, and for those of us living in areas where snow falls it either has already fallen or it will soon. While snow can create a beautiful scene, it can also be a royal PITA to remove from places where it is inconvenient to dangerous. And in spite of the huge number of machines available to do the heavy lifting there are places where they won't fit, or compound the problem by moving snow to even worse places, and one has to resort to the centuries-old solution of a shovel.

So what is your favorite solution? We only have two, one is a well-used snow shovel that my mother bought for me as a housewarming gift when I moved into my new-to-me house in January 1986. It is understatement to say that Mom was pragmatic and I suspect a lot of that rubbed off on me. But that one has definitely seen it's better days and it won't stand much more hard use. The other is one I bought on impulse at Sears about 15 years or so ago, with a fiberglass pole and handle and an aluminum teflon-coated shovel. It works great and I wish I'd bought two or three when I had the chance. While still serviceable it too has seen it's best days.

Looking through some options at the big-box stores I see lots and lots and lots of options. One handle, two handles, straight handles, curved handles, bent handles, plastic shovels, aluminum shovels, steel shovels, spring-loaded shovels, what's a guy to do in picking out The Perfect Shovel?

Here are the choices at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoor...ow-Ice-Snow-Shovels-Ice-Scrapers/N-5yc1vZbx86

Here are the offerings at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Snow-shove...s-Outdoor-tools-equipment-Outdoors/4294414338

So what is your favorite, where did you find it, and if you remember, about what did it cost?

My perfect snow shovel is no longer a shovel:

arian2.jpg

Yes, I have one of those too, but it is a bit awkward on the front porch and stairs.

We've had the curved "backsaver" design for many years now, and I find it to be quite good for shoveling the driveway and walks. If the snow is wet, you can spray it with cooking oil spray (Pam) to keep the snow from sticking. If it is really cold and the snow is dry and light (and not too deep) I sometimes use the leaf blower on it.

Snow Joe Shovelution Snow Shovel with Spring Assist Handle

Got this from QVC and it works great, saves my back!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.10.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.10.07 PM.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 45
So what is your favorite, where did you find it, and if you remember, about what did it cost?

Gosh, I don't know. I have not seen or laid eyes on a snow shovel for 53 years (and I have never seen a snow thrower or snow blower or whatever-you-call-it).

I used to mow the lawn, but stopped doing that at around age 55 or so. I love having a lawn guy and to me it's worth the money.

It's a highly personal thing. I like deeper, larger volume shovel. The one above looks a little flat to me. I've never been able to use the "back saver" designs with the bent handle, or extra handle. And yes, I have some back problems.

I need to be able to not only move the snow, but throw it far enough away that I won't have to move it again. Especially places like a deck, where it has to go over the railing. Flatter shovels, or the back-saver designs, make those things difficult.

Worst idea, IMHO, is the "pusher" shovel that is supposed to be used like a mini snow plow. That's fine for the first snow, if it's not too deep. But once you've made piles at the edge of the driveway or walkway, where are you going to put it the next time?

Worst idea, IMHO, is the "pusher" shovel that is supposed to be used like a mini snow plow. That's fine for the first snow, if it's not too deep. But once you've made piles at the edge of the driveway or walkway, where are you going to put it the next time?

+1. I have a “pusher” shovel and I only use it to clean up where my atv and plow miss. It would be impossible for the ‘pusher’ to shovel significant snow. But it’s good for this light clean up because I very seldom have to lift the shovel. I also use it if I decide to shovel the front sidewalk. But I never shovel the sidewalks after Christmas anyway. Only plow the driveway. Anyone coming over after that can come in through the garage. With any kind of luck I can go the whole winter without plowing or shoveling.

It's a highly personal thing. I like deeper, larger volume shovel. The one above looks a little flat to me. I've never been able to use the "back saver" designs with the bent handle, or extra handle. And yes, I have some back problems.

I need to be able to not only move the snow, but throw it far enough away that I won't have to move it again. Especially places like a deck, where it has to go over the railing. Flatter shovels, or the back-saver designs, make those things difficult.

Right, in most snow places, you are going to have to lift it at the end. Pushing is good in light snow, but there is a limit.

My old shovels are nothing special, and are staring to wear out, so I should do some research, and watch this thread, and buy a couple new ones. For the walks only, and occasional clean up of drift or light snow. We have a plow guy for the rest.

-ERD50

The "S" shaped curvy shovels have not only saved many a back injury but I suspect saved a number of heart attacks over the years. Mine is the main snow snow shovel for light and heavy storms. And it's just as good in "push" mode as it is "chunk-and-throw" shovel mode.

I also have one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garant-24-in-Sleigh-Shovel-EPSS24/205680983

Unless you're built like George Foreman or Hoss Cartwright I wouldn't recommend it. You might say it's "too good." Huge maw! Lots of snow! If the snow is the heavy wet kind ...? Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I also have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A1CENK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much better. Works good on small and large snowfalls. It sort of glides like a toboggan and you can modulate how much snow you want to gulp by just tilting it back a little. Much easier than the blue one above. The one drawback is, it's design might be difficult for a tall person to use. I'm 5'10" and just adapt my posture to the low angle handle.

I have two shovels. One is the old metal blade type that I use for scraping and pushing light amounts of snow. The blade is more heavy than the snow but it scraps the cement nicely. My work horse is a surprise. It’s a basic plastic shovel. Whatever it’s made of, snow doesn’t stick to it so I can get a rhythm going and move the snow. Since it doesn’t have a metal edge, it wears down quickly. I tried the plastic one with the metal edge and it just doesn’t work. The metal just never seems to glide over the concrete so it digs in and makes me stumble and breaks my rhythm. The plastic one grinds down on the angle that matches my stroke.

The steel one is like this but only 18”. Doesn’t look like they sell the 18” any longer.

https://www.garant.com/tools/s/wint...el-snow-shovels/snow-pusher-24-steel-blade-2/

This is the plastic one I like.

https://www.garant.com/tools/s/wint...oly-snow-shovels/snow-shovel-18-poly-blade-3/

Of course, I have a snow blower to do the heavy work, but for a light snow, I’ll get out with a shovel and get some exercise.

We get a bit of snow here in Syracuse.
I have a flat plastic shovel with a straight handle. Use it to shovel the doorways and mailbox access. access
Don't go for the huge volume, deep shovel as that's where heart attacks come from. Exhale while lifting.
MTD electric start 8 hp snowblower for the driveway.

I gave my wife a snow shovel for Christmas a couple years ago.

Attachments

• shovel_tree_sm.jpg
    shovel_tree_sm.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 23
I've got the perfect snow shovel. It's the one that's in brand new condition because in the Mid South we seldom see enough snow worthy of being shoveled. We just get a little ice, and the snow shovel is no good on black ice.

I once lived "up north" where it snowed the day before Christmas and never got above freezing for a month. Every morning driving 20 miles to work, dozens of heavy trucks were in ditches. And I couldn't even see my one story office building for the mountain of snow surrounding it that had been dozed off the parking lot.

At age 24, I said enough of this and moved home--only to see snow on my terms--in Lake Tahoe skiing. Cabin fever is real, and I don't care if I ever see snow again.

I have a three snow moving appliances for different spots.

Stairs, porch, other tight spots: Very simple, flat plastic shovel with a metal lip.

75' driveway:

Light snow: "Backsaver" bent-handled shovel with deep bucket, metal lip.
"Normal" snow (up to 6"): Electric "power shovel." It looks like a toy, only about 15" wide, but it's light, always starts, and throws snow far enough to avoid a big berm.
Heavy snow (rare here): Get off my rump and run the electric shovel before the snow gets above 6-8"!!

But I never shovel the sidewalks after Christmas anyway. Only plow the driveway. Anyone coming over after that can come in through the garage. With any kind of luck I can go the whole winter without plowing or shoveling.
Sounds like a great technique for keeping unwanted people from ringing the doorbell. : )

Back
Top Bottom