Incandescent, CFL, LED, Halogen

Maybe I'm wrong though.
The risk isn't absolute - the risk depends on weight. A 170 pound man would need to be exposed to 34 mg to be at risk. A 7 pound cat would need to be exposed to only 7 mg. There's more mercury than that in two CFLs. While one animal won't absorb the entirety of the mercury released from a broken CFL, the mercury accumulates. Furthermore, we already have to contend with the degradation of the food supply (both human food and cat food) in terms of mercury concentrations. The combination of the two effects is very troubling.

Just bought 4 4-pack CFLs for $1.99/pack at Costco. There was a automatic rebate at the register from the local electric company. That comes to $.50/bulb for the 16 bulbs. That's at least 16 CFLs for the cost of 1 LED. I couldn't pass up the deal and I have a few places with burned out bulbs that need replacing. I may have to go back for a few more packs before the deal expires. There are about 50 light bulbs in the house that will need replacing at sometime in the future.

Cheers!

Just bought 4 4-pack CFLs for $1.99/pack at Costco. There was a automatic rebate at the register from the local electric company. That comes to $.50/bulb for the 16 bulbs. That's at least 16 CFLs for the cost of 1 LED. I couldn't pass up the deal and I have a few places with burned out bulbs that need replacing. I may have to go back for a few more packs before the deal expires. There are about 50 light bulbs in the house that will need replacing at sometime in the future.

Cheers!
Oh sure, you are happy now, but what about in a couple of years when the mercury in those bulbs kills you and all your pets? :D

The risk isn't absolute - the risk depends on weight. A 170 pound man would need to be exposed to 34 mg to be at risk. A 7 pound cat would need to be exposed to only 7 mg. There's more mercury than that in two CFLs. While one animal won't absorb the entirety of the mercury released from a broken CFL, the mercury accumulates. Furthermore, we already have to contend with the degradation of the food supply (both human food and cat food) in terms of mercury concentrations. The combination of the two effects is very troubling.

A CFL bulb has 0.4-0.7 mg of mercury.
Separating Myth From Fact on CFL and LED Light Bulbs: Five Concerns Addressed – The Great Energy Challenge Blog
snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

Mercury is excreted pretty quickly from the body. I wouldn't recommend adding chopped CFL bulbs to your salad for extra crunch, but the risks are still exaggerated a bit.

You need motion sensor switches that are specifically compatible with CFL or LED bulbs. There are several available as well as dimmers and timers.

Lutron MS-OPS2-AL Maestro 250 Watt Single Pole Occupancy Sensor Switch, Almond - Electrical Outlet Switches - Amazon.com
Here's a work-around for those types of motion detectors or timers - if you replace 1 or 2 of the CFLs or LEDs with a low wattage filament bulb, that will very likely make the motion detector/timer work properly and eliminate the flickering. Basically, those devices need a small constant load on them when they are 'off' - CFLs and LEDs don't provide the same kind of simple resistive load as a filament does.

That flickering is bad for the device, and bad for the CFL/LEDs. But 1 or 2 small filaments should be enough to provide an 'off' current, and damp out the reactive loads from the CFL/LEDs.
Thank you.

Why is everyone picking on Mercury?
Mercury.jpg

"Three-way" LEDs?

The bulbs that we have on most of the time in the evening are three-ways. Maybe this is "old fashioned" but we like the easy-to-select low-medium-high where the high is 150W. I wouldn't mind replacing these with something more efficient. Are three-way LEDs with equivalent light output available?

The bulbs that we have on most of the time in the evening are three-ways. Maybe this is "old fashioned" but we like the easy-to-select low-medium-high where the high is 150W. I wouldn't mind replacing these with something more efficient. Are three-way LEDs with equivalent light output available?

Yes, but I think your choice will be limited, and bulbs will be $$$.

Feit Performanceled A21 3-way - 22 Watts - 600/1100/1600 Lumens - 30/70/100 Watt Equal - - Amazon.com

A better solution, IMO, is something like this (a CFL/LED compatible dimmer that plugs in to the cord):

Lutron TTCL-100H-BL Credenza Dimmable CFL/LED Dimmer, Black - Plug In Dimmer Switches - Amazon.com

They make ones that connect right to the cord, some minor assembly required.

-ERD50

They'll probably become more readily available (other brands) and less expensive, but here's one: 50 / 100 / 150 Watt Replacement 2700K Remote Phosphor 3Way LED

Last edited:
Oh sure, you are happy now, but what about in a couple of years when the mercury in those bulbs kills you and all your pets? :D

I wonder how we will know it's because of those light bulbs after all the decades of working in environments with fluorescent lighting. I just can't win. :facepalm: Maybe I'll just live in the dark and grow mushrooms. :D

Cheers!

I needed lights in our basement and had dimming LEDs put in. I am happy with how they work and the "recycles dryer sheet factor". I am nearing some amp and code restrictions that would add a hidden cost to inefficient bulb usage. The electric stove and dryer have to go!

A CFL bulb has 0.4-0.7 mg of mercury.
The amount of mercury in a CFL is ... 4-5 milligrams - See more at: Mercury Risk in CFLs: The Facts

I suppose the number might have changed over time, but of course it was the older CFLs that we replaced with LEDs, not ones we just purchased. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend adding chopped CFL bulbs to your salad for extra crunch, but the risks are still exaggerated a bit.
Our cats don't eat salad. And that really points out the real problem with most of the sources of information on this: They're focused on the risk to people, not pets.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409511507.590837.jpg

I just replaced about 40 incandescent bulbs with LEDs from Ikea.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In our new place we have 16 recessed ceiling lights - they take the BR30 bulbs

Lowes used to sell the 4 pack of them - I'm hoping they bring it back since I have some Lowes coupons and energy rebates for my state - the rebate only works if the package cost more than 14 dollars

As we remodeled the bathrooms - I looked at getting LED lights over the vanities - way too much - had to go halogen - still searching for G6 base replacement bulbs - maybe next year!

I love my Cree LEDs. Could not stand CFLs, didn't like the light color, or the fact they take time to get fully bright.

Sadly, my 8 month old "Ecosmart" 40W equivalent LED bulb has failed.

I'm still not sold on this. I like the concept, but if they cannot get the electronics to be reliable, then fuggetaboutit.

In other words, I would not rush out to replace those cathedral ceiling bulbs with LEDs until you can assure they are being replaced with high quality versions. I know the version I had was budget, so that factors in. Cree should be quality, but I read a few posts up about them failing too? I hope not. (Disclaimer: I live in Cree country, so I cheer for this company.)

I think the LED bulbs are still on the bleeding edge of technology. I'm slowly using them in high usage areas. The last ones I bought (2 floods for $20 total) are good but they do take a fraction of a second to turn on, i.e. a slight annoying delay.

I figure the tech will settle out in a few years and the prices will reflect that fact.

I'm still not sold on this. I like the concept, but if they cannot get the electronics to be reliable, then fuggetaboutit.

That's about where I am with it too. We have CFL bulbs outside and some inside but no LED's yet. They're electronic, and I can't abide the thought of paying $28 for one and then seeing them for $5 in eighteen months and $1 two years after that.

And I see enough reports of early failures to tell me that while the concept may be sound the manufacturing processes/tolerances are not.

That's about where I am with it too. We have CFL bulbs outside and some inside but no LED's yet. They're electronic, and I can't abide the thought of paying $28 for one and then seeing them for $5 in eighteen months and $1 two years after that.

And I see enough reports of early failures to tell me that while the concept may be sound the manufacturing processes/tolerances are not.

If you don't mind buying from China you could source led bulbs from aliexpress - they have some par20 (?) bulbs that will fit our halogen track light lamps for way way cheaper than homer despot.

APOx9zs.jpg

If you don't mind buying from China you could source led bulbs from aliexpress - they have some par20 (?) bulbs that will fit our halogen track light lamps for way way cheaper than homer despot.

Thanks, but I've had my fill of cheap Chinese junk that quits the day after the warranty expires. I make an effort to avoid buying from China now for that reason.

It reminds me of the 1950's-'60's when "Made in Japan" was also a badge of inferiority. Japan sure turned that ship around and hopefully China will learn the same lesson.

I've still got quite a stash of incandescents, so I'm sticking with them anywhere light quality matters. I use some CFLs in places where they don't get turned off and on too often, and I've got two less expensive LEDs in my garage door opener as an experiment. I still don't like the light given off by CFLs or most LEDs, although the LEDs seem to be making some progress. I've gone through a fair number of CFLs, and not one has even come close to the lifespans they've advertised.

I'm not worried about the pennies a day higher cost of incandescents. I worked hard for my money and choose to spend a little on quality lighting. If I need to I'll switch to cheaper bourbon to make up for it. Not cheap, just cheaper.

I still don't like the light given off by CFLs or most LEDs, although the LEDs seem to be making some progress.

I agree, and have been pleased with Cree LEDs in Soft White, which closely emulate the warm gold glow of a good ol' fashioned Tom Edison incandescent. But boy they are expensive (for now), so I only bought a few. I have yet to pry open my wallet for the 100W-like version. Like many, I'm waiting for the price to come down.

We have some lamps which are constructed so that only smaller bulbs work. We have some LEDs that won't fit. Does anyone know of an online source for really high-quality LED bulbs, 1125 lumens (or there abouts), that are omni-directional and smaller than medium?

I purchased 14 Cree 65w flood lights for all of my indoor can lighting last spring when they were on sale for $10/bulb. I have seen a noticeable difference in the electric bill of probably $20/mo as those are the main lights we use.

3 of them have failed. Took them back and got replacements from Home Depot without issue but for a product with a 10 year warranty that's pretty high failure in less than 1 year.

Back
Top Bottom