Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am a mix of all lights...

We have some can lights that are incandescent... we have some CFL dimmable and now some LEDs...

The CFLs I hate because they take so long to get to full output... and they seem to be taking longer...

I have had a number of CFLs go out much faster than incandescent... heck, I have been living here 6 years and we lost 1 of 4 incandescents in our living room... put in a CFL... it has gone out now... so lasted maybe 3 years... with very little use in hours...

All LEDs are pretty new... so no knowledge on life.... but I think that I will put two LEDs with two CFLs upstairs so at least I can have SOME instant light...

I also have a stash of the regular 60, 75 and 100 watt bulbs.... but probably will never use them.... in my old house I had some last over 25 years in a bathroom that got daily use... just short time use....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't like the CFL lights because they take a while to get to full brightness. So I've been switching to LED lighting and am very pleased. My electric bill is noticeably lower, especially after I switched out the kitchen flood lights that we keep on most nights. We recently installed outside landscape LED lighting and absolutely love it.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Again, the recent CFLs I got at Costco come up to full brightness instantly, compared to the old bulbs that I had. I was impressed. These are the 60W equivalent. The higher wattage bulbs may perform differently.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Again, the recent CFLs I got at Costco come up to full brightness instantly, compared to the old bulbs that I had. I was impressed. These are the 60W equivalent. The higher wattage bulbs may perform differently.

Problem is that they are supposed to last 22 years... so I am supposed to put up with 22 years of frustration because I bought them too early

BTW, I think they were 'instant on'.... which they do.... but only about 20% of the coil is lite when turned on.... they are also getting slower to get to full brightness... I will try out my 2 CFLs and 2 LEDs in the 4 pots and see how that works...
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #105

I'm doing some minor home renovations, and decided to replace some of my hallway globe fixtures with integrated LED fixtures. My old globe fixtures are beyond 35 years old and the wiring inside was brittle. It was time for a change.

I'm still not 100% about the LEDs...

• Low energy usage
  • Easy to install, lightweight

Dislikes:
  • Limited color temperatures ... tend to the cold side
  • Sense of "flickering"

The low profiles of these fixtures are immensely helpful for an older home with 8' ceilings. It really helps make the ceiling feel taller.

The cost of the fixture is reasonable, but you pay more for warmer light output colors. And even the warmer colors are a bit cold.

Check out some pictures. I have to say it is pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1206.jpg (602.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1211.jpg (177.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm doing some minor home renovations, and decided to replace some of my hallway globe fixtures with integrated LED fixtures. My old globe fixtures are beyond 35 years old and the wiring inside was brittle. It was time for a change.

• Low energy usage

Dislikes:
  • Sense of "flickering"

The low profiles of these fixtures are immensely helpful for an older home with 8' ceilings. It really helps make the ceiling feel taller.

The cost of the fixture is reasonable, but you pay more for warmer light output colors. And even the warmer colors are a bit cold.

I have the same issues. Can you tell us the make and model?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
BTW, I think they were 'instant on'.... which they do.... but only about 20% of the coil is lite when turned on.... they are also getting slower to get to full brightness... I will try out my 2 CFLs and 2 LEDs in the 4 pots and see how that works...
Uh, by "instant on" I meant that the recent bulbs I bought gave out nearly full brightness right away. But that was when it was warmer. Now, in cold weather the bulbs start out being noticeably quite dimmer, and take about 2-3 minutes to come up to full brightness.

For places where the lights get left on for some time, CFLs do not bother me, but there's something wrong with putting LEDs in places where one dashes in/out such as bathrooms, utilities, or closets. It's a shame to put expensive lights in places where they are not left on for long.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

• Low energy usage

Dislikes:
  • Sense of "flickering"

I found that fixture on Amazon. #1 complaint was a strobing effect. The most disturbing thing was posted pictures of a fixture that went into meltdown mode.

Lithonia FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White - Close To Ceiling Light Fixtures - Amazon.com
Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have the same issues. Can you tell us the make and model?
target2019 found it from my picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I found that fixture on Amazon. #1 complaint was a strobing effect. The most disturbing thing was posted pictures of a fixture that went into meltdown mode.

Lithonia FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White - Close To Ceiling Light Fixtures - Amazon.com
Yes, I failed to look on Amazon first. This was an unusual for me quick purchase.

I also have the smaller 6" versions in a hall and closet. Nice fit, but has the same other issues.

I notice the strobe mostly when I first turn it on. It isn't too bad, but I think could be a problem for some people. It was most noticeable to me when I noticed a box fan I knew was on appeared dead stopped.

The future of lighting is still in flux, if you ask me.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Uh, by "instant on" I meant that the recent bulbs I bought gave out nearly full brightness right away. But that was when it was warmer. Now, in cold weather the bulbs start out being noticeably quite dimmer, and take about 2-3 minutes to come up to full brightness.

For places where the lights get left on for some time, CFLs do not bother me, but there's something wrong with putting LEDs in places where one dashes in/out such as bathrooms, utilities, or closets. It's a shame to put expensive lights in places where they are not left on for long.

Yes.... I think they were listed as instant on and dimable.... but over time the instant on went away.... do not know what you mean by 'cold'... it is 70 degrees... and they are taking longer to get to full brightness.... when they are full bright, they are just fine.... I just hate the lag time when I need the light right now...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

The interior temperature of my home is 78F in the summer, and 66F in the winter. It seems like that difference of 12F makes a difference in the bulb warming up delay. Or perhaps it was all my imagination. Maybe I did not find the dim start of the CFL objectionable until reading about people here complaining about it.

Anyway, the warm-up time is not 2 to 3 minutes as I stated. It's more like 30 seconds, but of course when you dash in/out of a room, it feels like a long time.