Informed Management - Don't want to accept my plan

Zuma

Dryer sheet aficionado
Yesterday I met with my manager to let him know I intend to establish an end date for my employment at megacorp after which I will be moving on to early retirement. I told him I am willing to stay on through the end of Q2 this year to help with transition items, but also willing to leave earlier if he believes that much lead time is unnecessary.

We had a nice enough discussion about the drivers behind my decision, which are largely personal, but also that he's been pushing me to take on management of a product line that has a host of challenges and challenging people in the picture; and that is a headache I just don't need or want. He seems very motivated (or desperate?) to keep me and is willing to entertain almost any work situation/set of tasks that I would want. He's asked me to think about whether I am open to a discussion about staying on for a couple more years with modified responsibilities.

DH retired 9 months ago and is really enjoying himself, we're ready for retirement financially, and I have no interest in staying around beyond July 1, so I'll be regrouping with my manager later this week, to tell him that while his offer is very gracious, I'm really, really, really ready to go. Conveyed in a polite but very firm manner. One step closer....

He'll get over it. Be firm. You may just need to send a resignation letter and work with HR. What can he do? Fire you? :LOL:

+3 sounds like you are all set financially and don't need the money or the hassle/stress associated with the money. Stay the course. Be firm.

He seems very motivated (or desperate?) to keep me and is willing to entertain almost any work situation/set of tasks that I would want.....

Don't take this type of thing too seriously, it'll just cause you stress. You're emotionally and financially ready to go. You've put in your time. You're giving adequate notice (as far as I can tell from the few job facts you gave), so go. In almost every circumstance like this, the eventual outcome is that Mega successfully replaces you, even if it's a pita, and life goes on.

At one point in my career, I managed a large number of people and had retirements, resignations, internal employee movements and similar announced to me from time to time. If any particular one was going to be tough to fit on my plate at the moment (recruiting, training, maintaining continuity, etc.) I'd always bargain for more time. When the employee held firm with their dates, I'd just suck it up, get busy and get the replacing done. It happens....... Try not to make a big deal out of it.

I would email him so you have a concrete form of communication that you can refer back to, and say something like "Do you need me to print out an official resignation letter for HR so they have it on record with my leave date as July 1st?"

If he brings up the "think about staying longer" thing, just tell him that you're so sorry that he misunderstood you, but you can't commit to staying past July 1st and that will be your last day.

You're giving him plenty of notice, and you don't owe him any explanations on why you are leaving or why you can't stay longer. Don't get caught up in excuses as to why.

Fact is, the only reason he's going to pressure you to stay is because your leaving makes it harder on him personally and the company - the company doesn't really care about your reasons (or you) at all. So you should emphasize that your last day is set in stone, but you'll do your absolute best work in the coming months to ensure an easy transition of all of your workload and train your replacement if necessary.

Don't take this type of thing too seriously, it'll just cause you stress. You're emotionally and financially ready to go. You've put in your time. You're giving adequate notice (as far as I can tell from the few job facts you gave), so go. In almost every circumstance like this, the eventual outcome is that Mega successfully replaces you, even if it's a pita, and life goes on.

At one point in my career, I managed a large number of people and had retirements, resignations, internal employee movements and similar announced to me from time to time. If any particular one was going to be tough to fit on my plate at the moment (recruiting, training, maintaining continuity, etc.) I'd always bargain for more time. When the employee held firm with their dates, I'd just suck it up, get busy and get the replacing done. It happens....... Try not to make a big deal out of it.

+ 1
I wanted people to leave when it was convenient for my hellish existence. In the end management has no choice. Just smile and stand firm.

A meeting invitation from my division CEO, my manager's boss, to discuss this, just came through. Ugh.

Thanks for all of your responses. You offer great perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's a good idea to write a letter. Tell them how it has been wonderful working for XYZ corporation. Then state you will be retiring as of the date you picked. Hand your boss the letter. Then he'll have to take you seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's a good idea to write a letter. Tell them how it has been wonderful working for XYZ corporation. Then state you will be retiring as of the date you picked. Hand your boss the letter. Then he'll have to take you seriously.

I agree to handing in a written letter. And even though I did this 3 months in advance after speaking with my GM 6 months in advance, they were still pleading for me to stay 2 weeks before my date and didn't cobble together a temporary replacement until 1 week before (my) blast off.

Good call. Two years doing something you really don't want to do would be very painful. Could even cause you health issues, messing up your eventual retirement! If you are financially ready, life is too short, cut out now.

There is no work-related scenario that could get me to change my mind if I had decided to bow out. Not even "come in and just sit there, and answer questions if someone asks you something."

Don't dangle hope that they can get you to change your mind because everyone involved just gets irritated. You said you have "no interest" in staying past July 1. So even having conversations about staying longer makes them think you would stay if the circumstances are right.

The sooner you make it clear you're done no later than July 1, the quicker they can move through the five stages of the managerial grieving process (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and looking for a replacement). Don't let them stay stuck at Stage 3.

There are a number of similar stories that have been documented on this site, including mine. When I told my boss I was considering retiring, they made it really hard to quit. They reduced my work weeks to just 40 hours/week, gave me a nice salary increase, a promotion, no more senseless travel and they allowed me to work from home most of the time. That worked for about two more years and then that even got old. My greed only goes so far.

I agree to handing in a written letter. And even though I did this 3 months in advance after speaking with my GM 6 months in advance, they were still pleading for me to stay 2 weeks before my date and didn't cobble together a temporary replacement until 1 week before (my) blast off.

A cow#rker of mine told our Director six months ago that she planned to retire this month. She did this because she cares about the department and assumed they would take the time to put a sensible transition plan in place, with time for her to train the new person. I told her she was going way above and beyond the call of duty.

Her last day is indeed the last day of this month. Our Director began interviewing replacements last week. We may have found the right person - we should know in a couple of weeks. There will be absolutely no overlap with the departing cow#rker.

When I leave they will get one week's notice. Giving any more won't result in them getting their act together, so there's no point sticking around "for the good of the department."

OP: do what is best for you, and enjoy your retirement! :dance:

I told my boss & HR I was going to retire April 1. I kinda liked the irony.

My boss talked me into staying until June 1 to help pick/train/etc my replacement. Replacement was picked May 15 and then went for 2 weeks (previously booked) vacation.

I did help him a bit, if I felt like answering the phone (I have call display) We talked a few times, even had a lunch or two. Turns out, by staying the extra 60 days I got another years options that eventually were worth about a years salary. Don't be too hasty.

Back
Top Bottom