Internet Problem

Could be lots of things as you might guess. I've seen this more often recently with my DSL service but it never seems to last very long (a few minutes). It seems to be worse with my W8 PC rather than my W7 PC's but both have the problem on occasions.

The two things that seemed to work best for me is to restart my PC, which I try first. The second is to reset my wireless router. I've gotten in the habit of resetting my wireless access point about once a week since I'm convinced it contributes to slower performance if I let it run continuously. If I let it run continuously for more than 3 or 4 weeks, I can run a speed test that indicates my through-put has been reduced as much as 40 to 60 percent. Resetting the wireless AP, gets me back up to full speed in about 30 seconds.

Someday I'll probably upgrade the AP, but for now, a simple power reset once a week keeps it working just fine. Who knows, it could be the root cause of webpages failing to load on occasions:). To be honest, the problem hasn't been bad enough to motivate me to trouble-shoot it any further.

Did the OP ever actually describe his home setup?

I have been having slow to stalled page loading on my laptop in my usual kitchen nook using the inhouse wireless wifi.

The laptop shows 4 full 'bars' of signal strength - yet pages will take FOREVER to load or I get the "This Page Cannot be Displayed" messages.

Yet if I walk the laptop to the living room - which is a bit closer to the wireless router - BAM - pages load quickly and the laptop still only shows 4 bars.

Go figure....

Without knowing what all the equipment is, it's difficult to comment.

So many thoughts go through my mind with a topic like this.

Problems could be related to hardware device, cables, wireless channels, firmware, interference, mis-configuration, and so on.

So, try to eliminate possibilities with your troubleshooting. Try another browser, computer, OS, etc.

One of the simplest ways to eliminate a bunch of things is to plug a notebook into the wireless router. If it works perfectly, then you need to spend time with the wireless router configuration and one of your wireless devices.

You also need to get some type of wireless activity app, like inssider. These apps let you walk around and watch what happens to your signal as well as the other wireless devices and routers in the area.

My neighbor is having exactly the same problems.

I need to do a little work to be able to present the problem to the cable guy in case everything is fine when he gets here. Of course, there's no reason to send someone to my house, but that's the way Suddenlink handles things.

Right now, it's working fine.

I've found that I get 20 MB/s download speed over Wifi, and 30 MB/s if I plug into the router. I conclude that I should buy a newer router.

But, even when plugged in, I have problems with "server not found" error, dropped packets and slow performance. This suggests to me that Suddenlink is the source of the problem.

Can someone explain this to me:

Sometimes Lena and I will both get "Server not found" errors. However, those errors occur for some web sites and not others. What does that indicate?

I've found that I get 20 MB/s download speed over Wifi, and 30 MB/s if I plug into the router. I conclude that I should buy a newer router.

But, even when plugged in, I have problems with "server not found" error, dropped packets and slow performance. This suggests to me that Suddenlink is the source of the problem.

Sometimes Lena and I will both get "Server not found" errors. However, those errors occur for some web sites and not others. What does that indicate?

DNS problems?

Did you ever try pinging your DNS directly, as mentioned previously?

You could set up a terminal to just do that continuously, and then when you have problems, look at the history.

ping -D 8.8.8.8
provides a timestamp

-ERD50

Wifi speed is generally slower than a wired connection, usually by about half. I don't see anything from what you posted that new router would help.

Server/page not found can be several things. The site could be down, or the DNS connections upstream could be having problems. DNS relies on multiple relays to determine the route to a site, problems somewhere along the way could cause it. You can get to some sites and not other because a different route is taken. Another issue is an upstream DNS relay is stuck in a routing loop because of configuration/hardware issues.

Try different DNS servers on your computers, like OpenDNS or googles

OpenDNS IP Addresses 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
google IP addresses 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Traceroute the sites the don't load, see how many hops and if they are stuck at one.

To check for many hours where an intermittent might occur, I've done the following from the command line window. This redirects to a text file you can read later:
ping -t 8.8.8.8 > tst_ping_Jan29.txt

This does one ping per second. After you hit control-C some hours later, view the text file with a something like Notebook. Look for something like:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=56
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=56
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=56
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
At least this gives something to show someone or to document your frustrations.

Way cool! I may have to try that as I suspect upstream issues with my ISP (Crime...uh sorry Time Warner).

How big does the file grow after say 4 hrs, though?

And is the default path to the test file directly under C:?

Way cool! I may have to try that as I suspect upstream issues with my ISP (Crime...uh sorry Time Warner).

How big does the file grow after say 4 hrs, though?

My file after 14 hours was only 2.3 MB. At the end one will see something like:
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 39927, Received = 39856, Lost = 71 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 191ms, Average = 16ms
Control-C
Also forgot to mention, one should check one's router firmware update. Then maybe check with the ISP to see if the cable modem firmware is up to date.

Last edited:
Probably not. When you open the command prompt it will display the default directory. That's where you look unless you enter a full path as in:
ping -t 8.8.8.8 > C:\tst_ping_Jan29.tx or
ping -t 8.8.8.8 > C:\x\y\z\tst_ping_Jan29.tx

What router?

To check for many hours where an intermittent might occur, I've done the following from the command line window. This redirects to a text file you can read later:
ping -t 8.8.8.8 > tst_ping_Jan29.txt

This does one ping per second. After you hit control-C some hours later, view the text file with a something like Notebook. Look for something like:
At least this gives something to show someone or to document your frustrations.

So, I could set two simultaneous pings one external to my router (to the IP for Google you provided) and one to router.

If I see dropped packets only on the external ping - then I've got those rats at "C"WC.

If I see dropped packets on both - then the issue is internal and needs further isolation.

Guess I have some snooping to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips!

Rather than pick a random DNS server, you can see how many of them perform, then use a good one. Freeware from one of my heros:

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

That sounds like a great free product. Now I'm reminded how common messed up DNS severs were. When customers called in, level 1 folks were trained with trcroute and a couple simple home grow tools to diagnose the issue.

Very possible non optimal DNS configuration is the source of your issue.

Don't go looking too hard for "dropped packets" with ping output. Request time out is not always caused by lost packets. For lost packets it's a different discussion and tool. You don't need to go there unless you desire to learn a lot more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
So, I could set two simultaneous pings one external to my router (to the IP for Google you provided) and one to router.

If I see dropped packets only on the external ping - then I've got those rats at "C"WC.

If I see dropped packets on both - then the issue is internal and needs further isolation.
Maybe I will learn something here too. Did you mean to say ping to (1) the external world, and (2) your router?

How do you get your router's address?

Maybe I will learn something here too. Did you mean to say ping to (1) the external world, and (2) your router.

How do you get your router's address?

run - cmd - > open the DOS shell and type "ipconfig"

The first couple of lines will report the IP of your computer and the "Default Gateway" will be the internal IP address of your router.

Don't go looking too hard for "dropped packets" with ping output. Request time out is not always caused by lost packets. For lost packets it's a different discussion and tool. You don't need to go there unless you desire to learn a lot more.
In my case after the remote service person at Comcast "sent a signal to the cable modem" (her full explanation unfortunately), I still experience very occasional 1 minute internet disconnects.

Are you saying that the ping test I mentioned will not show the disconnects I very occasionally see now? Or are you saying that it will show the disconnects, but there are also other reasons for the lost packets?

In my case after the remote service person at Comcast "sent a signal to the cable modem" (her full explanation unfortunately), I still experience very occasional 1 minute internet disconnects.

Are you saying that the ping test I mentioned will not show the disconnects I very occasionally see now? Or are you saying that it will show the disconnects, but there are also other reasons for the lost packets?

Ping shows response time from an ip address. It also shows requests that time out after a certain time.

Dropped packets occur all the time for various reasons. While not optimal they are generally not a big deal. I've seen cases where there is such bad connectivity where many many consecutive dropped packets will cause a request to time out, but that's rare.

Edit to add: Here's a Microsoft tech writeup of ping. The default for request timed out is 4 seconds.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737478(v=ws.10).aspx

Here's a nice description of lost packets from Wikipedia:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss

Last edited:
But if the ping doesn't work and the command reports 'request timed out' then that, to me, indicates a connectivity issue.

Changing out the router can be a miraculous event.
Updating the firmware is also a nice fix.
I also find that people may switch the connecting cable to the wrong router port.

This page shows a graphic that explains the four layers in the model. If a ping works, it is not telling you anything about the application layer above.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786900(v=ws.10).aspx

Maybe were saying the same thing.

Ping(or web app) is in the application domain, that's the highest layer in Microsofts's 4 layer tier(subset of OSI 7 layer, but it's more true to their implementation). So a successful ping shows you connected to and passed data between your client and it's server. More or less proving the lower levels on the chart function.

Both ping and a web application ultimately connect to a(n) server(s) and send and receive data through the lower 3 layers to remote systems. They also disconnect at the proper time.

What ping rules out is all the client side of running a browser it's code, Simple html or an entire java app. All the bloat that causes paging, cpu,memory to come into play.

Here's a neutral sample application that gives an example of what ping and a web app do. In a web app these lower level funtions are abstracted from the developer by higher level functions:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/12/c-socket-programming/

Ping is definitely not in the application layer. And I'm referring to the 4 layers of TCP/IP. That is not a MS model either.

In the link I posted, the graphic shows ICMP in layer 3, but the table includes ICMP in layer 2. Obviously something to resolve there. This link has simple description of ping.

ExtremeTech Discussions - Ping is ICMP layer 3 working at layer 2

I'm not sure what your code example does-- I didn't find ping in there, but I'll keep deciphering.

Back
Top Bottom