INTJ's and Volunteering

DW and I talk about this all the time. I did a lot of volunteer work in my teens and during my 20's. Not so much since then and none in ER yet. I have good intentions but I have yet to find a really interesting activity that would motivate me to re-align my priorities to actually w*rk for somebody else...for free. I don't see it as stingy, we give a lot to various charities and organizations every year. My issue is it has to be mentally challenging and I have to WANT to do it. So far my other interests and the shop keep me busy enough that I don't have time to be bored or look for more w*rk to do. Maybe someday but not yet.

I have 2 things for which I volunteer. One is a hobby, ham radio which I love, for which I do emergency communications for my county and surrounding areas. The other is w**king in the local elementary school library where I set my own hours. The school is happy to have volunteers no matter how many of few hours you are available. The plus for being at the library is that I get 2 see my 3 grand children:)

There is an organization in my area called Hands On Greater Portland which provides volunteer opportunities on a one time basis. Projects range from a few hours to a full day. Volunteers can sign up for as much or as little as they want. Maybe there is something similar in your area. ...

+1 for Hands On. It is a network of organizations that match volunteers with schools, parks, nonprofits, etc. that need volunteers. Most have online registration where you can look for a project or activity that interests you and sign up right there. Many are one-time projects, others are longer term. If you don't find a Hands On in your community, try searching for "Volunteer Center of <name of community or county>" - that's another common name for the same service.

You'll see by my signature that I am volunteering a lot - both long term commitments (such as board member and volunteer CIO of our United Way) and one-time (worked ticket sales at a wine festival yesterday, got paid with a free ticket :dance:). May have to cut back a bit as I'm about to launch a consulting business related to some of my volunteer experience - seems there is a need that groups are willing to pay for.

INTJ. Never volunteer. Been recruited many a time for short term with ability to say no - never a regular. I also prefer monitary donation(anonymously where possible) to time comitments.

heh heh heh - I prefer to outwardly project the grumpy Curmudgeon as first line of defense. ;)

Back
Top Bottom