Show off your dog..or other pet..and how well he/she is treated (and fed)!

They both go crazy when we bring home a Costco roasted chicken! (They know some will accidently hit the floor.)
Yeah, I wonder how that accidentally hitting the floor thing happens. :angel:

Love this thread! Adorable pets. Our dog died the month DH retired and we have not replaced him because of increased travel. But we will eventually get another when things slow down a bit, it has been easy to lock up and go! We miss him.

Love this thread! Adorable pets. Our dog died the month DH retired and we have not replaced him because of increased travel. But we will eventually get another when things slow down a bit, it has been easy to lock up and go! We miss him.
One way to get a quick 'dog fix' is to sign up to foster a dog. Local shelters and rescue groups are always looking for foster parents.

My experience in seeing what fostering does at a local shelter is that many dogs only need a short stay - 2 weeks or so - while they recover from spay/neuter surgery.

- Rita

everybody passing me said what a great life about my dog. But it is due to his brain tumor causing his eye pupil not closing well causing pain and cant regulate temp well. but he is doing fine. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rnZzACZRZgsCrkz6A
And my favorite chicken watched tv together haha.

When I walk my two Maltese people comment how spoiled Amy is because she rides in a stroller while her brother walks. It’s because she has a terminal heart disease and isn’t supposed to exercise. Hoping your little guy does well for a long time.

One way to get a quick 'dog fix' is to sign up to foster a dog. Local shelters and rescue groups are always looking for foster parents.

My experience in seeing what fostering does at a local shelter is that many dogs only need a short stay - 2 weeks or so - while they recover from spay/neuter surgery.

- Rita

Our daughter fosters Great Danes. This is a real act of love because she always gets them at end-of-life when older folks can't deal with them anymore and they never get adopted out. So, she averages losing a foster every 18 months or 2 years. Sad, but she really does a good j*b and she loves them as if she'd raised them from pups.

Our daughter fosters Great Danes. This is a real act of love because she always gets them at end-of-life when older folks can't deal with them anymore and they never get adopted out. So, she averages losing a foster every 18 months or 2 years. Sad, but she really does a good j*b and she loves them as if she'd raised them from pups.
Sorry, that's tough. But even fostering younger pets with health problems can result in them not making it. She's giving these dogs a good life.

There is one foster group in western Washington that pretty much works only with older dogs. Some can be adopted out when their health is stabilized. For others, they call the foster experience Final Refuge. They take care of them until they signal it's time to go.

I lost the best cat in the world last summer. I decided to go without a pet for a little while so I could take a guilt-free extended ski vacation this winter. I was going to start looking after getting back from a trip last weekend, and just before I left a friend posted about an old homeless cat that needed a home. It had been living under a trailer by a resort maintenance building for at least 10 years, and the vet estimated he was probably 14. I went and saw him last week and he nuzzled right up to me, purring away. On my way back into town I picked up some food and talked to me friend about his history, and took him home. He is super friendly. I have not heard a hiss or growl and he comes out from under my bed whenever I sit on the floor and call him. He quickly learned the litter box. I don't know how many years he has left but life just got easier for him. And better for me. Here's Raisin.

Raisin.jpg

I lost the best cat in the world last summer. I decided to go without a pet for a little while so I could take a guilt-free extended ski vacation this winter. I was going to start looking after getting back from a trip last weekend, and just before I left a friend posted about an old homeless cat that needed a home. It had been living under a trailer by a resort maintenance building for at least 10 years, and the vet estimated he was probably 14. I went and saw him last week and he nuzzled right up to me, purring away. On my way back into town I picked up some food and talked to me friend about his history, and took him home. He is super friendly. I have not heard a hiss or growl and he comes out from under my bed whenever I sit on the floor and call him. He quickly learned the litter box. I don't know how many years he has left but life just got easier for him. And better for me. Here's Raisin.

View attachment 50922
Very cool! :)

We've only had one cat that we didn't "adopt." We've had great relationships with all of them. Too bad we're not in a position to adopt again. Too much travel.

Raisin is a good looking cat!

View attachment 50922
Good for you, he's lovely. He's probably never had a real home before and it's amazing that he's so friendly. I hope he has a good few years left in him.

View attachment 50922
I love this!

DW adopted a cat that she scooped up off the highway and took to the Vet. We called her our "6 Million Dollar cat." She lost an eye and had to have a pin in her shoulder and leg. But she was as affectionate a cat as we ever had. She hung out with DW at her business and people just loved her (one eye and all!)

Our very last cat lived under the neighbor's porch. She would come around our back door to be fed and DW noticed she was heavy with a litter of kittens. So DW "trapped" her on our screen porch. She set up a nice cardboard box with a 100 watt light bulb for heat (early spring litter.) After the kittens were born, momma cat slowly adapted to being a half-time house and half-time outside cat. She lived for 14 years. We were able to adopt out her kittens and then get her fixed. She was very loving and friendly after a few weeks on the screen porch.

View attachment 50922
That is wonderful. I can see he was a DNR cat with the clipped ear.

I volunteer at a cat sanctuary and there are a lot of older cats that nobody wants so it is good that you took him in. I actually think that some cat know how good they have it when adopted older. We also adopted one that was about that old and had her for about 4 years... very friendly but insisted on going outside at times...

Back
Top Bottom