IRS after me!

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just had a call from the IRS telling me I am owing them sum of money and must call back immediate as we are being sued. Didn't realize the IRS sued people before we are even given a chance to pay whatever sum we owe.

It was a mechanical sounding recording that sounded kinda like Rachel channeling Darth Vader.

Must be the season - last night the gal was given a chance to be a mystery shopper at Walmart and Western Union.

All over the news, it is a scam. IRS doesn't call to notify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I keep getting calls from someone from Connecticut wanting to fix my Windows computer - which I do not own.

I keep getting calls from someone from Connecticut wanting to fix my Windows computer - which I do not own.

I got one of those. You're supposed to enter a set of special numbers and a code comes up. Then the guy says: "so, does it say 23495022?" and you say "YES!!!" and then he tells you for a fee he can fix the virus.

I have a Chromebook (not MS based) and played along with the guy for about 15 minutes. Within a half-second after I confessed, the line went dead.

I got one of those too. I told him I didn't have a Windows computer, but I am a Nigerian Prince who needed some help that could bring great wealth to him if he would help me out. He seemed confused at first...then hung up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's real! :eek:

Send me some money and I'll get them off your back.

I got the same threatening IRS call (they left voicemail with call back number. SO, I called them back and when they answered as "so and so with the IRS, I replied, "Yes, this is Special Agent Jim ***** with the FBI, are you reporting a fraudulent IRS scam call?" They hung up.

I called back 5 times before they left the phone off the hook.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do... LOL

I got one of those too. I told him I didn't have a Windows computer, but I am a Nigerian Prince who needed some help that could bring great wealth to him if he would help me out. He seemed confused at first...then hung up.
Fantastic reply. A dose of his own medicine.

If you owe the IRS money they will always communicate via mail. Simply hang up. If you were a bad guy - multiple filer etc special agents would show up at your door at maybe 2AM.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

I got the same threatening IRS call (they left voicemail with call back number. SO, I called them back and when they answered as "so and so with the IRS, I replied, "Yes, this is Special Agent Jim ***** with the FBI, are you reporting a fraudulent IRS scam call?" They hung up.

I called back 5 times before they left the phone off the hook.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do... LOL

This^ is priceless!

Just had a call from the IRS telling me I am owing them sum of money and must call back immediate as we are being sued. Didn't realize the IRS sued people before we are even given a chance to pay whatever sum we owe.

Scammy call. Have some fun - ask what the caller is wearing. :)

I always thought that the IRS does not call and that any calls are a scam. Then my son called to tell me he got a voice mail message from the IRS with a callback name and number. I told him they never call, they only communicate via mail.

He was curious (and wary) so he called the number. It was an actual IRS person who said the call was to tell him that the amended return that he sent in 6 months earlier was finally processed and that he did not owe anything additional. The reason she called was because she had been furloughed for a few months and was finally getting caught up on the backlog.

Yes, he had amended a return 6 months earlier and we knew there was no additional tax.

I thought it was very strange!

I always thought that the IRS does not call and that any calls are a scam. Then my son called to tell me he got a voice mail message from the IRS with a callback name and number. I told him they never call, they only communicate via mail.

He was curious (and wary) so he called the number. It was an actual IRS person who said the call was to tell him that the amended return that he sent in 6 months earlier was finally processed and that he did not owe anything additional. The reason she called was because she had been furloughed for a few months and was finally getting caught up on the backlog.

Yes, he had amended a return 6 months earlier and we knew there was no additional tax.

I thought it was very strange!
I bet he told her he thought it would be a scam.

When I get those scam calls and want to play, I put on the Slim Whitman CD
" Indian love Call " kind of loud, and keep telling the scammer to speak up !

Worked on Mars attacks, works on scam callers too.

I'd pay the IRS except I get an email every day that tells me that access to my Chase account has been suspended for security reasons. So the IRS will just have to give their account and routing numbers to Chase "Security" and get the money that way.

There is a spot at the end of your tax return where you can enter a daytime phone number in case you want the IRS to call you with a question about your return. There is also a spot on your return where you can authorize a third party to discuss your return and a place to enter that person's phone number and PIN code. How, in either case, would someone know that it is the IRS and not a scammer who happens to guess right that the scam target happened to include their phone number and possibly a third party's phone number on his return?

No phone call for me, but I did get an email from the IRS saying I needed to update my online information and conveniently provided a link for updating. I went ahead and forwarded it to the IRS.

Scammy call. Have some fun - ask what the caller is wearing. :)

That's what I do. Momentary confusion, then they hang up and don't try calling back. I think it gets me on their "Don't call this nutcase" list.

Hey, did you give out my phone number? Just got a call from California saying this is the IRS and they are initiating a law suit against me and I need to call immediately. This scam has been around for quite a while, but first time I have received the call. Pretty annoying that there are so many fraudsters out there, and so many victims that do not have a clue.

Hey, did you give out my phone number? Just got a call from California saying this is the IRS and they are initiating a law suit against me and I need to call immediately. This scam has been around for quite a while, but first time I have received the call. Pretty annoying that there are so many fraudsters out there, and so many victims that do not have a clue.

Figured I'd distract them with a bigger fish. M5<328it.

Got that call from the "IRS" about 5 times in one month. Haven't been sued yet.

Back
Top Bottom