Join Early Retirement Today

Is GoPro worth the extra $$ ?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is GoPro worth the extra $$ ?

I want to get an "action camera" for my bike riding. My primary reason is to have video proof if (when?) I get hit by a car. I've been hit by a car twice in the last 5 years, so maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's a fact of life here in northern New Jersey.
In any event, there are a few action cameras on Amazon with good ratings, presuming they can be believed. These cost significantly less than GoPro. My gut instinct is to buy the GoPro, but the cheapskate in me says I'd probably be fine with one of those cheaper ones.
Anyone have any experience with these? Suggestions/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No experience with other brands, but I've had very good experience with a GoPro. They seem to be pretty bulletproof, and have what I consider an excellent video quality. Unless the price difference is significant for you, I'd recommend that you blow that dough.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Caution on a lot of those cheapo action cameras - the 5 star reviews on amazon are mostly full of fake reviews. I noticed this on one camera that a local news station's deal site was promoting - almost all the reviews were five star, all positive, but the reviewers were vague, generic, and occasionally mentioned the wrong product!

There's probably a "review farm" somewhere in Russia/China/etc where you can hire a crew for 50-100 positive reviews, possibly even confirmed buyers, so that your super crap camera is instantly legit per the usual amazon rules of engagement (4-5 star reviews and plenty of them).

My guess is there are plenty of decent non-Go Pros out there, but among the $40-50 "Go Pro similar" cameras, expect poor quality.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

I can't help on what product is better then the other but Go Pros what I have seen from the videos is very good.

Off the subject but when you were hit did you get hurt? So this video will get a license number and evidence if need be for insurance purposes I suppose. An interesting concept.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have no experience with them, or prices vs GoPro, but Garmin makes similar camera's.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...s-c545-p1.html
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laureng...shes-pay-to-1/

I canít find anything current on this situation but recalled that back in January GoPro was skating on thin ice.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two words: bike path

No experience with GoPro. Did mount a Nikon POS (thatís point-and-shoot, not piece of sh-t...) on my bike, but even with alleged stabilzation it was a bit jittery from road noise/vibration.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Iíve been using my GoPro 3 on bike rides for several years. Better stabilization with chest mount rather than handlebar mount. Video clarity is a little soft, but I believe that the newer gopros have improved clarity. Overall I like the GoPro for bike rides, and I havenít explored any alternative
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #9

Thought about getting one also, my pickup came with a mount for one. Woot has a few refurbished GoPro models on sale.

https://www.woot.com/category/electr...nt_cdet_elec_5
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #10

I use a DB Power EX 5000 mounted on my bike helmet to record cycling videos. It records 720p or 1080P. I picked up it up on Ebay a few years ago for about $30. It works well.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Off the subject but when you were hit did you get hurt? So this video will get a license number and evidence if need be for insurance purposes I suppose. An interesting concept.

Yes, injured both times. One was significantly worse (more than year before I fully recovered from the shoulder injury).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

I agree! There is a very nice path close to my house that I use all the time, but it's only 6 miles long. And, while I incorporate that path on almost every ride, it would get boring to ride that exclusively. FWIW DW agrees with you.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Based on them, and my original inclination, I'll likely go with the GoPro.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I purchased an Akaso on Amazon for around $70 to use on a trip last year to take pictures under water. I was very pleased with it. I have not tried using it on my bike. But I do not see why it would not be good for that as well. (BTW, the recommendation for this camera initially came from a post I made on FIRE when I was researching).
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

After reading reviews for several days this is what I got for my in-car dashcam and so far (4 mos in) I'm satisfied with it, considering it's only $39.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B56BYJ

I've never owned a GoPro and I'm sure it's a much nicer camera compared to these cheapos but then for my purposes one I don't want to tie up nice GoPros to 3 cars, nor do I want people breaking a window to get it and three I don't really need a super crisp footage to prove who made the dumbass move. I'm actually thinking of buying more and getting them backward facing too for those tailgaters.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by street
Yes, injured both times. One was significantly worse (more than year before I fully recovered from the shoulder injury).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I agree! There is a very nice path close to my house that I use all the time, but it's only 6 miles long. And, while I incorporate that path on almost every ride, it would get boring to ride that exclusively. FWIW DW agrees with you.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Based on them, and my original inclination, I'll likely go with the GoPro.
Bike path, then when too bored, stationary bikes or other machines at a local gym. Variety in what you see while working out just is not worth risking your life. The next time you are hit, could be the last time.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote