Is GoPro worth the extra $$ ?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to get an "action camera" for my bike riding. My primary reason is to have video proof if (when?) I get hit by a car. I've been hit by a car twice in the last 5 years, so maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it's a fact of life here in northern New Jersey.
In any event, there are a few action cameras on Amazon with good ratings, presuming they can be believed. These cost significantly less than GoPro. My gut instinct is to buy the GoPro, but the cheapskate in me says I'd probably be fine with one of those cheaper ones.
Anyone have any experience with these? Suggestions/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

No experience with other brands, but I've had very good experience with a GoPro. They seem to be pretty bulletproof, and have what I consider an excellent video quality. Unless the price difference is significant for you, I'd recommend that you blow that dough.

Caution on a lot of those cheapo action cameras - the 5 star reviews on amazon are mostly full of fake reviews. I noticed this on one camera that a local news station's deal site was promoting - almost all the reviews were five star, all positive, but the reviewers were vague, generic, and occasionally mentioned the wrong product!

There's probably a "review farm" somewhere in Russia/China/etc where you can hire a crew for 50-100 positive reviews, possibly even confirmed buyers, so that your super crap camera is instantly legit per the usual amazon rules of engagement (4-5 star reviews and plenty of them).

My guess is there are plenty of decent non-Go Pros out there, but among the $40-50 "Go Pro similar" cameras, expect poor quality.

I can't help on what product is better then the other but Go Pros what I have seen from the videos is very good.

Off the subject but when you were hit did you get hurt? So this video will get a license number and evidence if need be for insurance purposes I suppose. An interesting concept.

Two words: bike path

No experience with GoPro. Did mount a Nikon POS (that’s point-and-shoot, not piece of sh-t...) on my bike, but even with alleged stabilzation it was a bit jittery from road noise/vibration.

I’ve been using my GoPro 3 on bike rides for several years. Better stabilization with chest mount rather than handlebar mount. Video clarity is a little soft, but I believe that the newer gopros have improved clarity. Overall I like the GoPro for bike rides, and I haven’t explored any alternative

I use a DB Power EX 5000 mounted on my bike helmet to record cycling videos. It records 720p or 1080P. I picked up it up on Ebay a few years ago for about $30. It works well.

Off the subject but when you were hit did you get hurt? So this video will get a license number and evidence if need be for insurance purposes I suppose. An interesting concept.

Yes, injured both times. One was significantly worse (more than year before I fully recovered from the shoulder injury).

I agree! There is a very nice path close to my house that I use all the time, but it's only 6 miles long. And, while I incorporate that path on almost every ride, it would get boring to ride that exclusively. FWIW DW agrees with you.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Based on them, and my original inclination, I'll likely go with the GoPro.

I purchased an Akaso on Amazon for around $70 to use on a trip last year to take pictures under water. I was very pleased with it. I have not tried using it on my bike. But I do not see why it would not be good for that as well. (BTW, the recommendation for this camera initially came from a post I made on FIRE when I was researching).

After reading reviews for several days this is what I got for my in-car dashcam and so far (4 mos in) I'm satisfied with it, considering it's only $39.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B56BYJ

I've never owned a GoPro and I'm sure it's a much nicer camera compared to these cheapos but then for my purposes one I don't want to tie up nice GoPros to 3 cars, nor do I want people breaking a window to get it and three I don't really need a super crisp footage to prove who made the dumbass move. I'm actually thinking of buying more and getting them backward facing too for those tailgaters.

street said:
Yes, injured both times. One was significantly worse (more than year before I fully recovered from the shoulder injury).
HFWR said:
I agree! There is a very nice path close to my house that I use all the time, but it's only 6 miles long. And, while I incorporate that path on almost every ride, it would get boring to ride that exclusively. FWIW DW agrees with you.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Based on them, and my original inclination, I'll likely go with the GoPro.
Bike path, then when too bored, stationary bikes or other machines at a local gym. Variety in what you see while working out just is not worth risking your life. The next time you are hit, could be the last time.

Back
Top Bottom