Join Early Retirement Today

Is handwriting/longhand dying off
Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is handwriting/longhand dying off

In these days of information technology (IM, SMS, Twitter, emails, smart phones, computers, printers, etc, etc, etc) do you still write out much of anything longhand?

For me, about the only thing I write out longhand these days are my personal checks. And not many of them since I usually pay most things electronically. Sometimes I'll hand-write a grocery or to-do list, but that's about it.

I can't remember the last time I wrote out a letter in longhand. How about you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was just looking at some letters I wrote (in cursive) about 35 years ago. My penmanship was much, much, better then. Now when I write, it's much less legible, and seems to take more effort. I guess I need more practice to keep it sharp. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter other than a couple of lines on a greeting card.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always printed as opposed to cursive and it is still good when I slow down. What has gone to h3ll is my spelling. I depend on spellcheck these days.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Me too! I can actually read my writing when I print. I'll write my signature in cursive but everything else is printed letters.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm like travelover & Car-Guy. Stopped writing in cursive 1st year in college in 1968. Would take all these notes in class, get back to the dorm to study and couldn't read any of them. Stopped cursive and printed everything. Helped when I was working, because I would print out instructions for employees to do things and they had no trouble reading my writing. As I got older I would write bigger for older relatives--figured they wouldn't have to dig out their glasses when I wrote them a letter.

Another oddball quirk--at home or work, always carried a pen in my ear but no paper. To remember things to do, would write on the back of my hand, and when chore was finished, would wet my finger and rub it off.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Me too! I can actually read my writing when I print. I'll write my signature in cursive but everything else is printed letters.
Same here, barely (i.e. reading my printing). I gave up script somewhere in high school, if not earlier, as soon as the teachers stop requiring it. I can barely scratch out my signature any more LOL!

The only times I use my chicken scratch printing for anything are for shopping lists, writing stuff on greeting cards, taking notes from TV, phone calls, or web stuff such as confirmation #s from online transactions. Oh, and keeping score in my Scrabble games and Strat-o-Matic games LOL.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I print well (took manual drafting in high school back in the dark ages) and my cursive is OK. When leaving a note, writing a list, etc., I tend to print. I sent a few Xmas cards this year and wrote notes in cursive. DW, a retired grade school teacher, says I'd likely earn a B for hand writing.

I was at a buddy's house picking him up to head to the pub. He wanted to leave his
DW a note. He booted up a laptop on the kitchen desk, wrote the note in Word and printed it. It took at least 5 mins. I suggested if he ever did that again, he could walk to the pub.

(He didn't text his wife because he definitely didn't want to discuss the pub trip with her. He just wanted her to know he was out for the afternoon when she came home.)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I attended parochial school in my early years and had very good penmanship. I rarely write cursive anymore, basically only to sign my name. Even for checks, I print everything except my signature. Also, my signature has become more sloppy over the years. I do frequently use cursive for lists of things to do, shopping lists, etc. but my penmanship is fair at best these days unless I am really trying hard.

DD had good penmanship as well but I recently saw her sign a credit card slip and it was essentially a curved line acros the signature box that any Joe Schmoe could make.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Being an engineer, I print all the time. Usually write in pencil too, with a mechanical pencil. I guess that is pretty predictable for engineer!

The only thing I cursive is my signature, and that is close to illegible. I know what it says, but without the letters beneath it like on a signature line, someone else would be hard pressed to read it. If I even attempt to write cursive, I have to go real slow and think about it! Plus it looks like when I was learning to write cursive as a kid

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Too much tech!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
gone traveling

Too much tech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
In these days of information technology (IM, SMS, Twitter, emails, smart phones, computers, printers, etc, etc, etc) do you still write out much of anything longhand?

For me, about the only thing I write out longhand these days are my personal checks. And not many of them since I usually pay most things electronically. Sometimes I'll hand-write a grocery or to-do list, but that's about it.

I can't remember the last time I wrote out a letter in longhand. How about you?
Speaking as an IT VP, there's WAY TOO MUCH technology. If anything, I've gotten MORE aware of grammar, punctuation and spelling. We are quickly replacing the ART of expression with the SCIENCE of communication.

As I get closer to FIRE (here on Earth and, perhaps, in an identically-spelled hereafter), I'll make a list of the things I won't miss when I'm gone. Prepositions at the ends of sentences and "loose" (as in, "win or loose") will be among them.

Have a Happy Day!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I print very well as I was a draftsman for 6 years long before CAD. My cursive is marginal.

My sister hand writes me a personal letter once or twice a year that is several pages long and about the family back home in Connecticut.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the deterioration of simple penmanship skills is part of that slippery slide down as we age? Knees hurt, memory lacking, can't remember the difference between a "g" and a "q" in cursive.......... ?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've written and sent out about 3 Christmas cards this year.

For the rest, I pretty much just clicked on the Like button
Old 12-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

When my mom died recently I had to send forms from the state to anyone mentioned in the will, as well as potential heirs even if they aren't getting anything. Some of them are my estranged nephews and my cousins. I wanted to include a note letting them know what it was all about and not to get their hopes up, since it was just a formality and there was no money. But I thought it should be a handwritten letter, since these were family even if we're not that close.

So I struggled through the two page letter to my nephews. By the time I finished, including a couple of rewrites, my hand was so cramped I had to soak it in warm Epsom salt water. Also, while the beginning of the letter was relatively legible, by the end it looked like I was writing with my toes.

My cousins got computer printed letters.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My doctor loves being able to "E-scribe" medications instead of using the old Rx pad.
I'll bet the pharmacists love it even more!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My doctor loves being able to "E-scribe" medications instead of using the old Rx pad.
I'll bet the pharmacists love it even more!
E-Scribe, Now that explains why I'm actually getting "what the doctor ordered" now.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've always printed as opposed to cursive and it is still good when I slow down. What has gone to h3ll is my spelling. I depend on spellcheck these days.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #18

I normally print things, though occasionally I write in cursive. My printing is much easier to decipher than my cursive writing.....MUCH easier! If I want to write something down that I don't want others to read, I write in cursive and pray that I'll be able to read it later.

I had a boss years ago who had handwriting as bad or worse than mine, and he would bring me something that he'd written down and ask me if I could decipher it for him. I usually could! Having that kind of 'skill' makes it pretty easy to read my doctor's handwriting too. Hmmm, maybe I was really a doctor in a past life! ha!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #19

My to-do and shopping lists are a combination of print and cursive. Its just mish-mash. Someday when I have time to ponder it I'd like to figure out why I choose to write certain words in cursive vs print.

For younger kids cursive is definitely a thing of the past. And so is spelling ! I get memo's at work that look like Twitter comments ! Its horrifying. Thankfully I won't be dealing with that much longer !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #20

Arthritis and nerve damage have made handwriting anything difficult and painful for me. It takes me five minutes to write a legible check, which I print except for my scribble of a signature. Thank God for electronic means of paying bills and communicating, though the USPS may not agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum