It's an honour!

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Something wonderful happened this week. My university faculty is nominating me for a Woman of Distinction award in my community. Supposedly it's for my contribution to research and innovation. Of course I have to work on a submission package and may still not get the award. But it's a real honour to think that, of the thousands of women faculty and research staff at my university, they have chosen me. I wish my parents were still around to enjoy this!

That is wonderful! I know what you mean about the parents, I was always sad that they were not around to see that I did in fact turn out ok. :) Every once in a while someone from the past does something touching in their place. For example, when I became president of our firm I got a letter from my mother's old doctor from the 1960s that said my parents would have been so proud at what I had accomplished. That was mighty nice.

Your parents would have been so proud.

Will you have to give a speech? ;)

Congrats! I hope there are younger women/girls you know that can be inspired. It would have been wonderful if your parents were still around to see, but you can definitely affect the next generation. :)

Thanks everyone!

Martha, there are about 10 different award categories and one person is chosen as the Woman of the Year at the awards dinner in late Spring. She will have to give a speech for sure. In the unlikely event that I "win" I am just fine with that. I (gulp) actually like public speaking. And I think I have already "won". :)

Laurence, I am a strong believer in the importance of mentoring and nurturing young leaders. One of the awards is specifically earmarked for a highschool senior and involves a scholarship. Everybody else gets a glass thingy to put on the mantelpiece.

Congratulations! It sounds as if they picked a very worthy candidate.

Which University Meadbh?

Congrats to you from an old UWO grad. :)

Congrats!

And remember, the best time to retire is when you're at the top of your game. ;)

Zipper said:
Which University Meadbh?

Congrats to you from an old UWO grad. :)

Thanks Zipper, I have sent you a PM.

wab said:
Congrats!

And remember, the best time to retire is when you're at the top of your game. ;)

I'm planning on 2012, or 2013 at latest.

Wonderful news, Meadbh! What an honour it is to even be nominated for an Award of such distinction. Congratulations and wishing you continued success in your research and innovations!

Don't worry...............you parents ARE proud of you, they know you turned out ok.......... :D :D

Peer recognition like this is a tremendous validation of your work. Congratulations.

Congrats, Meadbh! Will this honor be expressed in a more concrete and taxable manner at your next salary review?

Having listened to a few awards/retirements speeches, my favorite is "Thank you, and good night!"

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the good news -- it's nice to see examples of good work being rewarded!

Nords said:
Congrats, Meadbh! Will this honor be expressed in a more concrete and taxable manner at your next salary review?

I plan to make it so! :D

Back
Top Bottom