Join Early Retirement Today

Re: It's Bush's Fault, But of course
Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

Probably just knee jerk reactions of the left!

I just can't wait until the Country gets back to real problems like stains on Blue Dresses and lying about it. It must have been really serious because the President was impeached for it!

Does anyone think this was a knee jerk reaction by the right?
No!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #42

CT,

You are 100% correct IMHO.

Nobody's business except Bill and Hillary's. (Period)

The only one who deserves an answer to that question is a DH or DW.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hey hey hey!* You are a "moderator" now.* You need to take the "high road"
and not start mixing it up with the "great unwashed".* C-T, you need to get a grip, and not let the "little people" get to you.* *

JG
I'm not a moderator, I am a Liberator! 8)

Give me liberals or give me death!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
The only one who deserves an answer to that question is a DH or DW.
And not even them if you are any good at lying.

Ha
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #45

CT, I don't think you are being fair minded

Let's see,

Clinton did a personal private harmless act and lied under oath to public questions that should have remained private,
the cost for his actions
lives lost = 0
money spent = 0 (not counting congress' witch hunting expenses)

Bush misled (not under oath) the country about the evil "WMD" wielding Sadam and got us into a war and has stretched and weaken this great country.
the cost of his actions
lives lost = 100's of thousands.
money spent = 100's of billion

Now, who should have been impeached?

Clinton, of course.

MJ
Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm not a moderator, I am a Liberator! 8)

Give me liberals or give me death!
Cute!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nobody's business except Bill and Hillary's.* (Period)
I have to disagree to an extent.

I believe if you're going to run for public office, and become a public figure, anything in your past is fair game - whether that is screwing your secretary, your intern, driving drunk, or being a cokehead.

Also, as far as the trial, overblown? *A waste of time? *Sure. *Personally, I don't think it was worthwhile. *However, covering it up, and arguing the meaning of "is" made Bill look like an ass. *He should have admitted it. *I don't think it would have gone away, but he would have come out better, and possibly avoided the trial.

Now, I can only assume everyone will write their congressperson in support of General Byrnes.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #48

Quote:
I believe if you're going to run for public office, and become a public figure, anything in your past is fair game - whether that is screwing your secretary, your intern, driving drunk, or being a cokehead.
So do you believe, it would be a fair question to ask 'W' about his sex life in his next press conference? Or any President for that matter.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So do you believe, it would be a fair question to ask 'W' about his sex life in his next press conference? Or any President for that matter.
If he had his own Linda Tripp? Of course.

I'm not really sure when "fair" and "press conference" has come up.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghopper
If he had his own Linda Tripp? Of course.

edit: I should clarify that to mean, I don't expect the press to necessarily go digging for the dirt, no. But if it comes to light, in one means or another, then yes. Did you miss the whole part about W being a drunk

I'm not really sure when "fair" and "press conference" has come up.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Screw that (so to speak), I'd rather ask Neil Bush about HIS sex life...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
He chose to send hundreds of thousands of National Guard troops to Iraq without considering the effect of internal response for emergencies.*
Okay, you state that Bush has sent 'hundreds of thousands' of National Guard troops to Iraq.* Hundreds of thousands could be anywhere from 200,000 to 900,000.*

There are approximately 170,000 US military personnel in or close to Iraq.* If Bush sent 'hundreds of thousands'... lets say, 300,000 National Guard troops to Iraq, that must mean that there are negative 130,000 active duty and reserve troops in or near Iraq.* Wow.

The actual number of national guard troops in Iraq is less than 'hundreds of thousands.'* Please try to limit your wild exaggerations in the future.* Thank You.* ** *
Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #53

Moghopper,

You state that he should have admitted it. My thing is that he should have never been asked.

Stuff like this is just not our business.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavion
Okay, you state that Bush has sent 'hundreds of thousands' of National Guard troops to Iraq.* Hundreds of thousands could be anywhere from 200,000 to 900,000.*

There are approximately 170,000 US military personnel in or close to Iraq.* If Bush sent 'hundreds of thousands'... lets say, 300,000 National Guard troops to Iraq, that must mean that there are negative 130,000 active duty and reserve troops in or near Iraq.* Wow.

The actual number of national guard troops in Iraq is less than 'hundreds of thousands.'* Please try to limit your wild exaggerations in the future.* Thank You.* ** *
Hey, if you started with an assumption that hundreds of thousands meant 900,000, the negative number you come up with would be even larger. Why stop at 300,000?

I thought I recalled Rumsfeld throwing the number 150,000 around not too long ago -- which is consistent with my original statement. But let's not quibble. Assume I meant to say tens of thousands of National Guard if it makes you feel better. I don't see how that changes the situation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...083002162.html
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavion

Hundreds of thousands sounds right... remember that troops rotate....no person, no matter how poor and un-influential, or desperate for a chance to improve his lot in life...deserves to spend 3-4 years risking his life to fight one administration's war.

Xavion: how long would you want to live with the constant threat of death or loss of limb, unreliable sanitary conditions, sleeping in a car seat, tasteless or poor tasting food, away from your family?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Moghopper,

You state that he should have admitted it. My thing is that he should have never been asked.

Stuff like this is just not our business.
Maybe not. But as a public figure, it would be naive of him or of us to figure that it wouldn't get out. Also the law is pretty clear that public figures do not have the same "right to privacy" as the rest of us.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #57

Quote:

Really? - Do you really think that this is anyone's business besides Hillary's? You are very strange indeed if you think a President or even a citizen should be inflicted with this line of questioning?

Maybe your cramped up style of ethics and political leanings does not really understand the concept of Freedom? You can find plenty of countries in the Middle East that are as uptight about sex and freedom as you seem to be.

What part of Freedom don't you understand?
When you're the president, things like cheating on your wife with your intern sometimes get noticed by the press. You do support the freedom of the press, don't you (including fox news!)? Or are you like those uptight Middle Eastern countries you know so much about?

I don't think in an ideal world Bill Clinton's personal transgressions with Ms. Lewinsky should have been made public. Let's deal with reality though. It became public knowledge. My proposal that Clinton should have made a short but sweet public statement would have served to address the already public issue. Undoubtedly, he would continue to be pestered with questions about the affair. He can then say, "I've already commented on that issue, thank you". Instead he interpreted the meaning of "is" and lied under oath. I guess I'm looking at the situation with the benefit of hindsight. Slick Willy probably thought he wouldn't get caught and that he could pretend nothing happened. The dividing line between a public affair and a private affair is when he lied under oath.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I don't think in an ideal world Bill Clinton's personal transgressions with Ms. Lewinsky should have been made public. Let's deal with reality though.
Being CEO and having sex with an employee isn't wise, in general. Just ask Harry Stonecipher.

(I don't think Harry should have been let go by Boeing either)
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #59

Quote:
BTW- In some of your Middle Eastern countries Adultry is illegal. It's not here. That is the part of 'Freedom' that you don't get.
In many of your US states adultery is illegal. Criminal conversation and/or alienation of affection (adultery) are actionable torts (civil suits) in about 20% of the US states.

Clinton's sex acts w/ Ms. Lewinsky are also illegal in a number of states (I'd imagine it isn't in D.C. though, given their lax moral standards).

I personally have no problem with the sex acts in question Just pointing out the state of the law.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Clinton's sex acts w/ Ms. Lewinsky are also illegal in a number of states (I'd imagine it isn't in D.C. though, given their lax moral standards).
Actually illegal, or is it considered a breach of (marriage) contract?