Join Early Retirement Today

Jarhead Pays Off
Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Jarhead Pays Off

Many of you have questioned or commented about the way Jarhead has been signing each of his posts after USC lost to Texas in the Rose Bowl. No, he didn't suddenly become a University of Texas football fan and start wearing burnt orange pj's, he simply lost a bet.

Since coming up on the short end of our wager, Jarhead has signed each of his posts with the required "Jarhead, who agrees with REWahoo, that Texas is the best college football team in the country." And when questioned about this change in his posting habits, he gave the only response allowed under the wager: "How about those Longhorns."

I will tell you Jarhead is more than a little pleased now that he has paid off his bet and no longer has to proclaim his praise of the Longhorns (even though well deserved) on every post he makes. I've learned that he really hates to lose and probably doesn't have a lot of experience being on that side of his wagers. But I want to commend Jarhead for being a man (or 14 year old teenage girl, whichever applies) of integrity and honor in paying off in full on his lost bet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Jarhead Pays Off
Old 01-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Many of you have questioned or commented about the way Jarhead has been signing each of his posts after USC lost to Texas in the Rose Bowl.* No, he didn't suddenly become a University of Texas football fan and start wearing burnt orange pj's, he simply lost a bet.

Since coming up on the short end of our wager, Jarhead has signed each of his posts with the required "Jarhead, who agrees with REWahoo, that Texas is the best college football team in the country."* And when questioned about this change in his posting habits, he gave the only response allowed under the wager: "How about those Longhorns."

I will tell you Jarhead is more than a little pleased now that he has paid off his bet and no longer has to proclaim his praise of the Longhorns (even though well deserved) on every post he makes.* I've learned that he really hates to lose and* probably doesn't have a lot of experience being on that side of his wagers.* *But I want to commend Jarhead for being a man (or 14 year old teenage girl, whichever applies) of integrity and honor in paying off in full on his lost bet.

Using MLK's words: I've been to the mountain.

Free at last, thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!

Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Hook'em Horns! Most of my business trip was in Austin, and I was there when they won. That town was just a little happy...

Now I'm back in Indianapolis...UGHH! The Colts: Official Chokers of the NFL.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #4

That is too funny!!! Way to go Jarhead and I for one will be glad to no longer see that as part of your post!

How about those Steelers!!!!!!!! They won even with all of the horrible calls! I sure am glad that I have a good heart!

Dreamer

Who is a huge Steeler fan, Ohio State fan and WVU fan (WVU football and basketball)
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whew Jarhead!

Glad I didn't make any bets this year. AND my sister didn't call - cause the Pat's lost. Thank goodness - when I slip and bet - it's only money.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That "non interception" call against polamalu may have been one of the worst calls I've ever seen in any sporting event ever, bar none. Polamalu had control of the ball throughout, put one knee down, his butt and then his other knee, then the ball came out. Play was over as an interception as soon as that first knee came down. Had the colts come back and denied pittsburg a well deserved victory I'd have been disgusted.

Dont get me started on the second and third worst calls I've ever seen during the patriots/denver game.

Its one thing to screw up a call when you have a split second to see what happened. Its another thing when you look at it for 5 minutes on tape and still dont make the right call. :P

Between the persistent bad calls and the officials constantly being in the way of game play, I think its time to take the fat old men who get this as a part time 'trophy' job off the field and have a handful of full-time game experts in a booth somewhere view the plays from the 3200 video feeds present on a bank of monitors, each with instant replay ability, and when something really egregious happens, call it down to a 'ball boy' on the field to move the ball and put the penalty call and yardage in a banner across the bottom of the screen. Otherwise let the teams play. Might actually let the game finish in the 3 hours they always schedule it for even though I think maybe 5 games I've ever watched wrapped up in that time frame.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
That "non interception" call against polamalu may have been one of the worst calls I've ever seen in any sporting event ever, bar none. Polamalu had control of the ball throughout, put one knee down, his butt and then his other knee, then the ball came out. Play was over as an interception as soon as that first knee came down. Had the colts come back and denied pittsburg a well deserved victory I'd have been disgusted.
I agree. I couldn't believe the refs changed the call. If Polamalu had just stayed on the turf it would have been an interception. If a Colt had touched him while he was down it would have been "down by contact" and an interception. So, because the Colts didn't down him and he didn't voluntarily stay down, when his knee knocked the ball loose as he was getting up it some how became not an interception? What the 'f....? If that's the best the NFL can do with instant replay they should get rid of it.

Grumpy
Old 01-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I almost forgot about the "nothing bad happened" later in the game where the refs blew the whistle before the snap and one of the steelers might have twitched while the colts jumped and made contact.

It was either a false start or offsides. Couldnt be neither. Otherwise why did they blow the whistle? The refs talk a while and then say that there was no movement by pittsburg (which is visible on the replay) and no contact ( which you can see on the replay when one of the colts touches one of the pittsburg offensive linemen).

Ok, so no offsides, no false start, we just felt like blowing a whistle, now can we just pretend nothing happened and snap the ball? :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #9

I was rooting for the Colts, but I'm beginning to believe that Peyton Manning is a "choker". He has to step up or be labeled.

And you are all correct. One of the worst-officiated games ever. The refs tried to give it to the hometown team, and they still couldn't get it done. Awful call on the interception and on the "non-play". The NFL has to hire professional refs and do away with the instant re-play. Do like baseball. Whatever's called is called. You can enter a formal protest only over a rule interpertation not a judgement. Let them play. You watch 3 hours of football and get 12 minutes of action.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Did you see Mannings interview during the bears/panthers halftime where he blamed his linemen? Nice leadership... 'I'm trying to be a good teammate, but we had some protection problems', then repeated the charge a few moments later.

I sort of lost respect for the team a couple of years ago after they whined that the patriots were 'too rough' with their receivers during the playoff game. Maybe they should try taking off their dresses and putting on their pads. How hard is it to say "We lost to a better team, we'll pull together and try harder next year"?

I lost a lot of respect for the whole manning clan when they decided last year that Eli was above the game and its draft rules. The league should have made a statement that he'd play for the team that drafted him or not play at all.

The look on his face when he was holding up the Chargers jersey after they took him anyway was priceless. If you handed him a dead rat he'd have looked happier.

And I guess Archie was a little bit wrong about the chargers having a bad team and an organization not committed to winning... Best team that didnt make the playoffs...better than a few that did.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #11

I seriously started wondering if the refs in the Pittsburgh game had some money riding on the Colts. I have not liked calls in other games, but I don't usually say very much, but it was just too blatant this time. If I had a bad heart, I would have either had to stop watching the game or else I probably would not be here. I realize that I should not get so worked up, it is only a game, but I can't tell myself when I'm in the moment!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote