Jeff Bezos--Net Worth $100BB

Well, he has already sold two million shares this year, so it's over 2% WR.

He mainly needs it to fund Blue Origin, his rocket company.

Well, according to Eric Drexler, we may all become that rich. In his book, Radical Abundance, he discusses nanotechnology following along the same lines as information technology (it's doubling and deflation).

Ray Kurzweil talks about this too. I'm also a fan of Matt Ridley and his book "The Rational Optimist".

Well, according to Eric Drexler, we may all become that rich.

I don't want to be that rich. I'd have to spend my time figuring out how to handle/spend/invest all that money, and I'd have to hire people to protect me from beggers and con artists. Yikes. I wouldn't have a moment left to post silly posts on the internet.

Nope, I prefer to live out my life in reasonably comfortable, sedate obscurity like I have been doing since I retired... :)

I do not know his % of Amazon.... but there was a financial talking head the other day who pointed out that Amazon has made less than $10B in its entire history... (I have not checked it out)...

So, how can a company be worth so much when it does not make much money?

At least he is cash flowing... as opposed to Tesla which is burning cash like a dot com.....

Astounding!
He could spend 1 million a day for 100 thousand days
(or about 273 years b4 he'd go broke)

I do not know his % of Amazon.... but there was a financial talking head the other day who pointed out that Amazon has made less than $10B in its entire history... (I have not checked it out)...

At least he is cash flowing... as opposed to Tesla which is burning cash like a dot com.....

I think you answered your own question with Tesla answer...

I don't want to be that rich. I'd have to spend my time figuring out how to handle/spend/invest all that money, and I'd have to hire people to protect me from beggers and con artists. Yikes. I wouldn't have a moment left to post silly posts on the internet.

Nope, I prefer to live out my life in reasonably comfortable, sedate obscurity like I have been doing since I retired... :)

Yep. I think 'the word' is enough.

heh heh heh - I read that somewhere. :LOL: :LOL: :dance::dance::D;)

Well, let's see with $100b one should not be too extravagant and use a 4% WR. So being conservative and assuming a 3% WR that's $3,000,000,000 a year. That number divided by 365 days a year -let's not get too carried away by leap years- is $8,219,178 per day and I do believe that if one were careful with expenses one could manage on that particularly after SS kicks in...

Now THAT in my opinion is rich.:cool:

He better wait until 70 to start drawing SS or he won't have much room in the 15% bracket for back door Roth conversions.
Good point! Perhaps we should give him some pointers on whether he should pay off his mortgage(s) early or not?

I'm gonna get on his case if he comes in here talking like, "gotta blow that dough".

I wonder how much of it isn't tied up in Amazon and his rocket company, which is what he could really spend right now. I saw an interview, maybe by 60 Minutes a few years ago, in which he was driving a basic silver Honda Accord around. He may not even have been a billionaire back then, but I'm sure he was in 9 figures at least.

Amazon's current market cap is $572B. A Web site says Bezos still retains 16.4% ownership. That works out to $93.8B. So, only 6% of his networth is outside the company. In contrast, I recall reading that at this point Bill Gates has very few shares of Microsoft. It is said that Bill would be worth $150B if he did not give so much to his charity foundation.

Speaking of earnings, AMZN sports a P/E of 301, compared to 25 for the entire S&P 500. A few companies drive up the average P/E of the entire stock market. I wonder what the "median" P/E is. Anybody knows?

Anyway, it's just another thing I am watching to see if the market is going the way of the late 90s.

Last edited:

Not really.... a company is worth the discounted value of earnings... if a company has no earnings and has no prospect of any it is worth nothing...

So, people are putting a huge prospect of earnings on Amazon as there is very little now... just because you can fund operations with current cash flow does not make you profitable...

IMO Tesla is much worse than Amazon, but people have it valued higher than the big domestic auto companies... does anybody believe that Tesla will be able to produce 1.9 million vehicles like Toyota? Or make $2 billion or so in profits a year like Toyota? Then why is it worth 25% of what Toyota is? And more than Ford... (which made more than $4 billion)....

Not really.... a company is worth the discounted value of earnings... if a company has no earnings and has no prospect of any it is worth nothing...

Small nitpick addendum: even with no earnings, a company is still typically worth its net tangible book value, with a discount to account for firesale and shutdown costs.

In case of Amazon that would be somewhere south of $15B, a far cry obviously from their $570B market cap.

Add in a few busines that are quite profitable (e.g. cloud services), and even in case of final implosion Jeff Bezos should walk away with a few billion.

Small nitpick addendum: even with no earnings, a company is still typically worth its net tangible book value, with a discount to account for firesale and shutdown costs.

In case of Amazon that would be somewhere south of $15B, a far cry obviously from their $570B market cap.

Add in a few busines that are quite profitable (e.g. cloud services), and even in case of final implosion Jeff Bezos should walk away with a few billion.

True.... I was being brief with what I had said, but there always is something to sell.. and the cash might or might not go to the common stock...

Stock prices are forward looking whereas P/E measures only recent earnings. Seems like the stock expects Amazon to lever its position into higher future earnings.

... the stock expects Amazon to lever its position into higher future earnings.

Yes. A lot higher.

When Amazon stops growing, it will have to sell and earn 15X more than what it does now to justify its current stock price.

In 2016, Amazon total sales were $136 billion. Walmart sales were $486 billion. After Amazon took over 100% of Walmart sales, it would still need a lot more.

Here are some retailer sales figures.

Walmart: $486B
Target: $70B
Costco: $129B
Sears: $22B
Walgreen: $117B

Too many retailers to add up to see what Amazon would need to vanquish.

I guess it is easier to look at the total retail sales in the US. It is more than $5 trillion. That's about 36x the sales of Amazon, so I guess it still has some room to grow by annihilating everyone else and becoming the only retailer in the US.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom