Just had my wisdom teeth out....

yeah this is the type of story i was hoping for. no luck.

i think ive been talking too much which irritates that side of my mouth, so i popped a few pills and went to sleep from 5pm til now...3am...unfirtunately i cant get back to sleep. to my dismay, im still bleeding.

i dont know what to do now...when should i call my a$$hole dentist back if the bleeding persists? surely it shouldnt last more than a few days....im nearing 96 hours....

Wow, thefed, your dentist is sure a rude one! I don't know if you have access to a consulting nurse service. If so, they are just the people to answer questions such as "shouldn't the bleeding have stopped by now?" If you don't, perhaps a call to your regular doctor would be in order. Bleeding is bleeding after all. Are you on any kind of medication that would promote bleeding/delay clotting?

Wow, thefed, your dentist is sure a rude one! I don't know if you have access to a consulting nurse service. If so, they are just the people to answer questions such as "shouldn't the bleeding have stopped by now?" If you don't, perhaps a call to your regular doctor would be in order. Bleeding is bleeding after all. Are you on any kind of medication that would promote bleeding/delay clotting?

I am going to call my referring dentist today...it's slowed a bit, but still is bleeding.

i have set up an appointment with another oral surgeon for the other 2 wisdom teeth....there's no way this guy is getting any more of my money. ive never been treated like that before! (except when i may have deserved it....but never by a doctor!!)

Like when DW was very pregnant and we were out shopping. Every lady in the store had to (eventually) launch into a story about her awful labor experience--the pain, the duration, the blood.

this reminds me! as i walked to the recovery room, still woozy from the demoral and valium, i looked at my hands to find TONS of blood spatter dried on the tops! I showed them to the nurse and she calmly said "oh honey, it's normal....let me get you a wipe"

that really freaked me out. somehow they kept it off my clothes though....

Sorry to hear about your issues. That dentist sounds like a real piece of work.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I wasn't born with any wisdom teeth. :whistle:

I don't have any either...for some reason or other, that makes me feel kind of strange...:blink:

I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 months ago. Totally painless extraction, but like thefed, I had lots of bleeding (though not so much that I had to go in before my 1 week consultation). When I told the surgeon about it, he said that bleeding is common in fair-haired, fair-skinned folks, and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me). I hadn't tried that, because it sounded kooky, but further research shows that it apparently does work. Probably worth a try.

I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 months ago. Totally painless extraction, but like thefed, I had lots of bleeding (though not so much that I had to go in before my 1 week consultation). When I told the surgeon about it, he said that bleeding is common in fair-haired, fair-skinned folks, and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me). I hadn't tried that, because it sounded kooky, but further research shows that it apparently does work. Probably worth a try.

ooohhh....ive been chomping on the lipton....a lot grosser tasting than one would imagine....it stops/slows it for a bit, but i start right up after a whiel

funnny you mention a 1 week consult....my guy never mentioned anything....just sent me home with a post op fact sheet. everyone i talk to says they had a post op consult....except me!

..........and asked if I tried biting on moistened tea-bags (which was recommended on some of the post-op literature that he gave me).

Ditto for cayenne pepper. Added benefit, the burning sensation will surely take your mind off of whatever ails you.:D Although if you are not into hot and spicy, prolly want to pass on this.

Fed --
Sorry to hear of your experience. IMHO, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and consideration...and everyone is different in terms of how they react to pain, after effects, etc.

I'm glad to see that you are going elsewhere for the remaining procedure. The first dentist sounds like a real jerk!

Good luck to you!

after digging around in my mouth with a flashlight, i found the main source of pain. it seems my cheek is stitched to my lower gum...he kinda folded it over the hole to protect it i suspect...so every time i talk, im pulling that stich...and that stitch is where the bleeding comes from.... the nurse was going to cut that stitch but decided not to because i was still bleeding...a catch 22....

i'm gonna give it a few more days and either insist they cut this thing or i'm breakin out the exacto knife lol

after digging around in my mouth with a flashlight, i found the main source of pain. it seems my cheek is stitched to my lower gum...he kinda folded it over the hole to protect it i suspect...so every time i talk, im pulling that stich...and that stitch is where the bleeding comes from.... the nurse was going to cut that stitch but decided not to because i was still bleeding...a catch 22....

i'm gonna give it a few more days and either insist they cut this thing or i'm breakin out the exacto knife lol
Incroyable!

I didn't get sewn together like that, in fact I'm not at all sure I had any stitches at all. (IIRC that was to reduce the danger of infection--I seem to recall being told it was better for healing to occur from the bottom up, not on the surface first.)

I think if I were in your shoes I would be on the phone to the new surgeon asking if sewing the inside of the cheek to the gums is accepted practice in oral surgery, or if your original dentist has gone completely off the rails. His behavior and his procedure both sound so unusual to me I'm really starting to wonder if he should still be practicing.

P.S. if it is any comfort, I don't think I had a followup appointment a week after the extractions. It wasn't much more than a week later that I went off to college to start my freshman year.

You are lucky. I had to have all 4 removed-twice! Thats right. They grew back.

at this point, i was actually ready to slap this old man upside his head. i told them about the pain...and he said '' aaahh, i knew it was coming. im giving you one more script and beyond that you can tough it out. dont think youre coming back here for more vicodin'

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was in intese pain after oral surgery a few years back. They gave me a few percs, but when I went back for more they told me they couldn't give them to me because I might get addicted! I told them I had been doing drugs for over 30 years and never got addicted, so not to worry about it. :LOL: Didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom