Just passed a major milestone!!!!

EllisWyatt

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm so psyched. After listing our country property for 4 years, we finally sold it.:dance:

Not as much as we wanted, but we got what the market would bear and, more importantly, we've now turned it from negative cash flow out to postive.

Selling the property was the last major hurdle to accomplish prior to retiring. All I have left is taking care of some odds and ends and some professional obligations, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not an oncoming train!).

Congratulations! I remember that feeling of ticking off the "To Do List" prior to FIRE. Good for you!!

Congrats! That is a big milestone.

Congratulations!! Our country property became our retirement home, but I do remember the feeling when we sold our main home and then only had one home. The reduction in expenses having only one home caused made it a lot easier for me to decide to ER.

Great. It is interesting how prized possessions often become albatrosses when you decide to get rid of them. I felt the same way when I sold my boat. :)

This was going to be our retirement home, but after 20 years of planning, as it came close to the time to move up there, we realized that the area no longer matched what we wanted for a retirement lifestyle.

My favorite thing about reaching "FI" is that it lets you be flexible and pursue different options.

Ziggy -good point. I've done both, and I have to agree the milestone felt ALOT better!

Now I'm at the stage of trying to decided when to pull the plug and head to the farm permanently. Lots of conflicting thoughts : greed vs freedom; time with DW vs time with co-workers (okay, that's actually a no-brainer); professional obligations vs, well, professional obligations.

Okay, time to brag. Last night, I hit a new financial milestone: $750K. Hopefully my bragging won't jinx it!:eek:

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my spreadsheet, which goes back to March 1998. Around that timeframe, I was finally recovering from a divorce, and able to save and invest, rather than just pay off debt. By that point, I think I did still have about $10K left in debt from the divorce, which I paid off by November of '98.

Anyway, in March '98, I had about $21K saved up.
By February 2005, I had $250K (took 83 months)
By October 2009 it was $500K (took about 57 months)
Now August 2012, it's $750K (took about 34 months)

With luck, the next big milestone, $1M, will come even quicker! Provided, I didn't just curse myself. :angel:

Congratulations! Great milestone, and glad to see the acceleration from the perspective of someone with some of those milestones yet to come!

Thanks! I just hope that as I hit those new milestones, I don't start getting money hungry, or falling for the "one more year" syndrome.

At the rate I've been accelerating, it looks like the $1M mark could theoretically come up in around 20-22 months. But realistically, I don't think that's going to happen...just seems too good to be true.

My spreadsheet has the $1M mark forecast as coming up sometime in mid-2015, but we'll see how that pans out. And, it has the $2M mark coming up sometime in 2022, and $3M coming up in 2027. It'll be interesting to see how that all unravels, and come back and check this post in 15 years. However, I'm sure with my bad memory, it'll be long forgotten by then!

Last edited:
Congrats EllisWyatt!

Congrats Andre! It's a great milestone, good luck on continued success.

Last edited:
Congratulations!! Our country property became our retirement home, but I do remember the feeling when we sold our main home and then only had one home. The reduction in expenses having only one home caused made it a lot easier for me to decide to ER.

Agree, I am looking forward to doing exactly the same thing, very soon...

Andre1969 said:
Okay, time to brag. Last night, I hit a new financial milestone: $750K.

Congrats! Out of curiosity, is this solely from 401(k) and IRA investing? That's how I'm planning to achieve my million. I just hit $100k in January and now I'm at $126k.

Keep up the great work! You'll be at your new goal in no time. What's your magic number?

Good going Ellis. Keep us posted on your progress.

... and better a milestone than a kidney stone!

Andre1969 said:
Okay, time to brag. Last night, I hit a new financial milestone: $750K. Hopefully my bragging won't jinx it!:eek:

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my spreadsheet, which goes back to March 1998. Around that timeframe, I was finally recovering from a divorce, and able to save and invest, rather than just pay off debt. By that point, I think I did still have about $10K left in debt from the divorce, which I paid off by November of '98.

Anyway, in March '98, I had about $21K saved up.
By February 2005, I had $250K (took 83 months)
By October 2009 it was $500K (took about 57 months)
Now August 2012, it's $750K (took about 34 months)

With luck, the next big milestone, $1M, will come even quicker! Provided, I didn't just curse myself. :angel:

Kudos! :)

Congrats! You think your ex also frequently visits this forum? ;)

Back
Top Bottom