Kaizen in retirement

Well that's the problem. With the rate of change accelerating rapidly, the one thing we can count on is not having the luxury of embracing changes on a schedule we'd like.

I cannot tell you how much I completely disagree with this assessment. If I have a computer and a browser that I like, I may eventually have to update when it is no longer supported, or if there is a new feature that I would like to have. I do NOT need to embrace every single update as they are released, nor take daily updates each of which has a small chance of making my browser completely inoperable until someone notices and releases a fix some hours later.

Likewise, I do NOT need to be driven to constantly improve my techniques for every sport or hobby I undertake. I can be perfectly happy with my adequate equipment and duffer scores. I can enjoy my time participating, without being goal oriented and constantly pushing myself to do better.

I am convinced this is a deeply innate personality issue. I cannot tell you how strongly and firmly I believe this is true for me. Yet, I am aware of some friends who are quite the opposite. No matter how well a day goes, they are always noting how it could be improved, and seem to look forward to making changes every time they do something. They are never satisfied with good enough, and always want more. I have come to believe that it is the striving for more that they find satisfying and they are only comfortable when they are experiencing change.

I firmly believe that nether approach is superior, they are just different, and I hope to find in ER ways to accommodate each to their satisfaction.

You forgot the mission statement.:D

Could we get a sub forum to discuss creating a forum Mission Statement and then we can align our personal mission statement with forums.

Perhaps quarterly MBOs while we are at it.

I quit striving for constant improvement years ago. The less I feel the need to improve the better I feel. Just another side effect of corporate burnout.

I quit striving for constant improvement years ago. The less I feel the need to improve the better I feel. Just another side effect of corporate burnout.

Maybe you're already happy with yourself and realize the corporate self improvement stuff is just a way for them to make you think you're not good enough so they can continue underpaying you and especially overworking you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I haven't seen that acronym in years! Can't figure out if its a date thing or a geographic thing.
I'm pretty sure it is a date thing. BOHICA is out of the Phil Crosby "stuff" that was popular in the mid-to-late 80's. I think it was one of the first big players to capitalize on the Deming popularity which started all the SQC fad in the 1980s.

SQC was actually in use when I started at a big oil company in 1973. Operators and engineers did SQC charts and root cause. A new plant manager came through within a year and wondered what they were. They immediately disappeared.

When I go...no more:

Joining forces instead of acquiring a company
BOHAGS
Taking it off-line
Associates
Blue Ocean Strategy
Moving of Cheese
4DX
Carrot Principles
Irrefutable Laws
You and your Team
and on and on and on................................

Too late. I won't be in the office tomorrow. The next day I'll be in the office is 5 Jan. I plan to resign around 8 am. Retirement begins after whatever transition period we work out. :dance:

I'm right there with you on the same plan!

My plan to formally announce 'separation of service' on Jan 5 was so that I could collect on the end of year Holiday Pay.

All the planning is coming to a head - I'm ready for the next phase of my life to begin!

Congrats to both 2B and BBQ-Nut

I'm 4-6 months behind you. 6 months is so I can fund another year of 401K, get a bunch of health related stuff done...4 months if the merger closes sooner than later and they want me to move to a new building... the only move I do will be the one out the door permanently. The merger isn't the driver, the decision to leave and leave on July 1 was already done before but the "corporate synergies" might accelerate it. Sadly no chance for a "restructuring" outlet for me :(, my position does not have an equivalent at the other company that we are merging with.

Congrats to both 2B and BBQ-Nut

I'm 4-6 months behind you. 6 months is so I can fund another year of 401K, get a bunch of health related stuff done...4 months if the merger closes sooner than later and they want me to move to a new building... the only move I do will be the one out the door permanently. The merger isn't the driver, the decision to leave and leave on July 1 was already done before but the "corporate synergies" might accelerate it. Sadly no chance for a "restructuring" outlet for me :(, my position does not have an equivalent at the other company that we are merging with.

Congrats to all three of you!:)

I cannot tell you how much I completely disagree with this assessment.

I firmly believe that nether approach is superior, they are just different, and I hope to find in ER ways to accommodate each to their satisfaction.

You're absolutely right. I should have added others may see things differently.

When I go...no more:

BOHAGS
Associates
Irrefutable Laws

All painful. Very painful.

Back
Top Bottom