Keys on laptop dysfunctional

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Suddenly...as in today when I fired up the laptop after a road trip yesterday from NJ to DC (but has been in a temp controlled room all day)...my right shift key does NOTHING. If it is depressed and trying to use it..nothing comes up on screen. All the other keys seem to be working. No crumbs or liquid damage.

?? Any suggestions?

I had that happen and blew about 50lbs of dog hair out from under the keys. I've also had it happen when a key contact or spring breaks.

Most keyboards are surprisingly easy to replace on laptops. Not super cheap. If its deemed that your keyboard is broken and irreparable, look for the same model complete on ebay with a smashed screen for $100 or so, then scavenge it for parts.

Look online for instructions on removing your keyboard. Many just pop out if you pry in the right places and have a short ribbon cable connecting them underneath.

I've had similar failures and then the adjacent keys went as well.

I've had similar failures and then the adjacent keys went as well.
Ditto on my daughter's laptop. I got her a new one and enlisted the old one as a desktop replacement at our weekend place using a docking station and external keyboard.

For the kids laptops for school, I bought some inexpensive USB keyboards. I told them to use the external keyboard whenever they are are at 'home'. Saves wear and tear on the expensive-to-replace laptop keyboard. Tends to keep crumbs and stuff out of the laptop also, as they are hunched over the external one.

My other advice for laptops - set up a shelf or small table that is lower than the laptop. Make sure the kids get used to setting any drinks on that shelf. Avoids most of the potential for a spilled drink into the laptop.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom