Kids

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Saint jeanie and I spent a few hours going over the past 60 years and our life with four sons. A wonderful experience, with emphasis on the word "wonder"...
Wonder how we did it, and with no regrets. Our oldest is now 60, and youngest age 50.
Moving 22 times... living on or near beaches and great pools.. Pawtucket, RI., Lake Cobbeseconte and Brunswick Maine, Ayer Mass, Vineyard Haven to Falmouth Mass... Greenfield Mass, Saratoga Springs NY, Georgia, Texas and a dozen other places in between.

A great life, and a main topic of discussion between us and the kids when we're together. Saw them through college but mostly they paid their share.

For 14 of the years, with me on the road 5 1/2 days a week, and jeanie, not only bringing up the kids, but working along the way... at nursing homes, schools, and department stores... (in her spare time).

We lost Chris @ age 39, but adopted the other kids' best friend when his parent died.

I suppose there were hard times, but can't recall them... We bonded as a family, and to this day, the kids all stay in contact with each other at least once or twice a week, even though they are hundreds and thousands of miles apart.

All in all a tremendous happy life.

Would like to hear your own experience. :flowers:

I am so sorry you lost one of your sons. How kind to adopt a child that needed you. I raised 3 boys with my 2nd husband. We can laugh now at some of the tough times. Met my current husband after my kids were adults and his were 6 and 8. When he had his kids he took them to his mom’s. I was worn out and sick of kids. Plus I was strict and him and his ex weren’t and the kids were brats. When the youngest was 13 his older brother was beating him up so we married and took him. Him and I really bonded and are close to this day. Both of his naughty kids turned into very successful adults.

Wow, I'd have to live to 90 to see my oldest reach 60, & we had kids MUCH earlier than most of our peers (at my last college reunion I noticed most other classmates' kids were a decade younger than ours)

I am so sorry to hear you lost one of your children...one of the families in our church had two (infant & kindergartner) of their kids die within a few months of each other & I cannot imagine how hard that losing even one must be no matter their age...it was very hard on my grandmother (in her late 80s) when my mom died after a long illness.

Last edited:
I am 65 and my oldest is 46. If I live long enough we can be seniors together:))

Wow, I'd have to live to 90 to see my oldest reach 60, & we had kids MUCH earlier than most of our peers (at my last college reunion I noticed most other classmates' kids were a decade younger than ours)

I'm 70 with two college sons. When my sons played travel soccer, I was closer in age to the his friends grandparents than to their parents. Probably why I don't have a single friend older than me, I don't hang around with older folks, except my 90+ year old aunts.

My wife is 70 years old and had children 53, 52 and 51 years ago. Our daughter's 31. Her son in law died of multiple myeloma at age 46 and his daughter (granddaughter) died 2 years later of bone cancer at 23 years old. Then the daughter/wife/mother died 3 years ago at age 50 of a heart attack. At the same time, our favorite niece died of cancer after being poorly treated in the U.K.'s national healthcare system.

We never expected to raise any more children in our retirement, however we are raising our 8 year old granddaughter. We love every minute of her, however we would like to have some time to ourselves. We'll be pushing 80 when she gets out of high school. But we do what we have to do. She's in church camp this week which gives a breather. After taking Brynley to Spain & Paris recently, she's going to be a world traveler.

When I met my 3rd husband I told him no more kids. I can’t imagine having kids that young and then starting a 2nd family although many people do it. He was on the same page.

DH and I raised 2 kids, toughest and yet the best job I ever had! Love them both to pieces.:smitten:
Now in their 30's, have good, close relationship with them, both live within 30 minute drive.

66 with three kids (4,14,30). All great, but the 4 y/o keeps me smiling from Sunrise to Sunset!

Back
Top Bottom