Laptop Touchscreen Not Recommended

We just bought a new laptop as well, an Asus Q550L. To my surprise the touch screen does not show fingerprints, even when turned off (black screen) so I don't know how they did that.

While I won't be using Lightroom and Photoshop much with the laptop if we ever get to go on a trip it'll be nice to have both for initial image processing and backup. At the same time I bought a 2TB backup drive.

I'm using GIMP (free photoshop-like software) and planning on putting it on our laptops for our 5 week summer trip. I'm hoping to do a weekly blog update with lots of pretty pictures of the places we visit, and I've outgrown MS Paint. Is there a benefit to having a touchscreen for photo editing?

Al, the minisuit keyboard you mentioned looks great. I will check it out. Thanks.

SwiftKey interface's very well with voice recognition.

Line above is courtesy of mic key in SwiftKey. This paragraph is all swyped.

I just discovered the mic key on the Google keyboard.I am dictating this now. Wow it really works.

Is there a benefit to having a touchscreen for photo editing?

No. A touchscreen is far too coarse a tool for that. We just have it because the computer had everything else I wanted (fast processor, 1TB HD, 8GB memory).

What I have found indispensable for photo editing is a graphics tablet. Wacom has that market pretty much locked up and for good reason - they make a great product. I have an Intuos 4 and wouldn't be without it. Current model is a 5. I'm seriously thinking about buying small size one for the laptop for ease on trips.

Having never seen one IRL, let alone never used one before, I bought the middle-sized one. I should have bought the small one because I ended up mapping the tablet to only use about 1/4 the available surface since I use mostly fingers/wrist. This, of course, is highly personal to your style. If you've never used a tablet you don't even know what your style is so I guess I default back to the mid-size one on recommendations.

I bought a Bamboo (consumer-level model) for my sister for her birthday and she likes it. Those are ~$100. She's about as "technologically-challenged" a person as you'll find.

I bought a Bamboo (consumer-level model) for my sister for her birthday and she likes it. Those are ~$100. She's about as "technologically-challenged" a person as you'll find.

I could see shelling out that much (or maybe half that for a refurb or used tablet) for my own hobby uses if I ever get a bit more serious. Is that the same thing as a digitizer? I'm vaguely familiar with those from engineering/CAD work.

Instead of using a separate editor for longish posts that one is afraid will be deleted, not posted, or whatever, one can simply copy to the cut/paste buffer occasionally with a quick ctrlA + ctrlC (or command-A,C). If the post doesn't go through, a paste (ctrlV) gets you back to where you were.

Hey, TromboneAl and OPs,

Has anyone tried the smaller version of the minisuit keyboard (the one that seems designed for the 7" laptops?)...any feedback on them? Or is this larger minisuit keyboard simply better for keyboarding?

I'm traveling to Europe soon and am looking to reduce the size and weight of whatever I bring along to access email and the internet. I'd like to have a keyboard to dash off a few emails and make some notes for myself, but am not planning on writing a novel while there. LOL

omni

Hey, TromboneAl and OPs,

Has anyone tried the smaller version of the minisuit keyboard (the one that seems designed for the 7" laptops?)...any feedback on them? Or is this larger minisuit keyboard simply better for keyboarding?

I'm traveling to Europe soon and am looking to reduce the size and weight of whatever I bring along to access email and the internet. I'd like to have a keyboard to dash off a few emails and make some notes for myself, but am not planning on writing a novel while there. LOL

omni

I have the minisuit bluboard, and it's perfect. I leave it in the trunk of the car, so that I can use it if we go into Starbucks. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1MRYK2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Only $39. I could write a book with it.

I posted about it somewhere else on the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

After Al recommended the Minisuit, I bought it and it's really nice. Pretty compact and light. Most of the time I don't need it but for things like this forum it comes in handy. Also have the Nexus 7.

My laptop is a Lenovo with a touchscreen and I like it. I don't use the touchscreen all the time, but it is a nice to have for me.

I have a Toshiba 15 inch with a touchscreen I got 8 months ago or so and I like it a lot. I was hesitant to try a touchscreen because of threads like this, but figured I did not have to use it. For me , it is now like power windows. Not a requirement, but darn nice at times.

I have the minisuit bluboard, and it's perfect. I leave it in the trunk of the car, so that I can use it if we go into Starbucks. It's this one:

Amazon.com: Minisuit BluBoard - Wireless Keyboard for Android Blackberry Kindle iOS OS X, Microsoft Surface, iPad Air 2 3 4, Samsung Galaxy, Chromo, ASUS MeMO Pad, Google Nexus: Kindle Store

Only $39. I could write a book with it.

I posted about it somewhere else on the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks, Al. I bought this one and the smaller minisuit keyboard (specifically designed for the Nexus 7).

After trying them both out, I prefer the larger keyboard that you have.

The smaller keyboard has a nice fit & finish and also serves as a cover for the Nexus, but when trying to type on the oh-so-tiny keys that are recessed in the 'tray' that serves as the Nexus 7 cover, it's actually quite difficult to type.

Thanks, again, for bringing this keyboard option to our attention. :flowers:

omni

Back
Top Bottom