Month long trip bring the laptop or not?

I don't understand the reluctance of some folks to do financial transactions on a smartphone or other device while traveling.
I suppose it's possible to get a fraudulent wifi connection somehow, but how likely is that?

Would be good to get factual info on this vs fear based speculation...

I also don't understand the reluctance to have financial information on a laptop overseas. I am cautious, use encryption, vpn, and so forth. But my entire laptop is mirrored to cloud storage. So the information is already out there. Hackers don't respect borders nor do they need physical access to your device these days.

I willing to be convinced I'm being reckless. Can someone explain the additional risk of storing financial information locally on a laptop overseas?

I also don't understand the reluctance to have financial information on a laptop overseas. I am cautious, use encryption, vpn, and so forth. But my entire laptop is mirrored to cloud storage. So the information is already out there. Hackers don't respect borders nor do they need physical access to your device these days.

I willing to be convinced I'm being reckless. Can someone explain the additional risk of storing financial information locally on a laptop overseas?

Those are good points. Personally, my concern is making it easier for a hacker to get into my stuff by carrying a laptop loaded with ALL my data. A few years ago I returned from a fishing trip in Chile/Patagonia and within a few days had fraudulent credit card charges. A couple of weeks later someone filed a false federal tax return in my name. So they were able to gain access to my SS#, address, etc.. Can I prove it happened on the trip - of course not. Having been compromised once I prefer to play it safe. On this trip I will certainly check my bank accounts through a VPN, but will not log not any retirement accounts and deleted the Schwab app on my phone.

I don't understand the reluctance of some folks to do financial transactions on a smartphone or other device while traveling.
I suppose it's possible to get a fraudulent wifi connection somehow, but how likely is that?

Last year in my trip to South America our guide was dealing with the consequences of someone taking over her phone. She had the physical phone and I don't quite understand how they did it but someone bought a new phone, had all her info and settings ported over to the new phone, and her bank accounts were compromised. It's common enough that there are class action suits in the US against the major carriers alleging that they were too lax in letting just anyone come in with a new phone and have someone else's settings installed.

I do have a few banking apps on my phone so I can use mobile check depositing but now that I think of it I'll probably delete them from my phone before my next trip.

We have been travelling internationally on average twice per year for two months each time for the past 13 years. Including one 7 month trip. Other than covid period. Africa, Europe, South and Central America, Oz, etc.

Although I do not keep financial data on my ipad I do, out of necessity, have to complete some finanical transactions while traveling. . But we do try to keep it to a minimum by establishing credit balances on our card, etc and prepaying some expenses. Nor do I access accounts that have larger balances. I also try to limit how many times I access the accounts.

Never once have I had an issue.

Last edited:
For me I pretty much always take it on trips longer than 3-4 days. I find it easier to use and stuff comes up sometimes that make it preferred. Recently in Hawaii my wife decided she wanted to start writing some of our travel adventures down. Maybe for a blog or maybe for our memories but, in either case, was nice to have a laptop. On same trip we also watched live sports on it several times - that is, events we couldn't get on the hotel TV. So ya, for US, we'd take it! Safe travels!

I keep a journal/travel journal so I always bring a laptop on all my trips. It's a great way to memorialize one's travel experience, impressions, sights visited, people encountered, and all the good and the bad and everything in between. And they make for fun reading years later when memories fade.

Headed to Australia and New Zealand for a month long journey. Debating to bring my laptop or not. Everything financial is on the laptop/in the cloud. Feel like I am increasing a security risk if I use it. I did download NordVPN for my phone and I will use that all the time and I could hot spot the laptop to the phone.

I spend a lot of time browsing on the laptop which is not the point of the trip of course. Thoughts?

So you browse on the same laptop at home... why would you feel any more at "a security risk" by browsing somewhere else? Or maybe I should really be be asking you to share your incredible impenetrable security system at home?

So you browse on the same laptop at home... why would you feel any more at "a security risk" by browsing somewhere else? Or maybe I should really be be asking you to share your incredible impenetrable security system at home?

I think I explained myself fairly well above. I have been the victim of identity theft before, so yes there is a certain element of fear involving my decision. I am not a cyber security expert but my understanding is that hotel wi fi systems are not always secure. Literally my entire financial life is on that laptop and yes it is backed up to the cloud - but still I would be nervous on the whole trip so it's worth $149 at Best Buy to not worry about it.

I think I explained myself fairly well above. I have been the victim of identity theft before, so yes there is a certain element of fear involving my decision. I am not a cyber security expert but my understanding is that hotel wi fi systems are not always secure. Literally my entire financial life is on that laptop and yes it is backed up to the cloud - but still I would be nervous on the whole trip so it's worth $149 at Best Buy to not worry about it.

Unless the identity theft was traced to a period you were traveling or staying in a hotel, I still don't really understand the additional fear you're adding to the trip... My post was you're no safer browsing at home I'm afraid.

But it sounds like you've already answered your own question. If the $149laptop puts your mind at ease... why not?!

Last year in my trip to South America our guide was dealing with the consequences of someone taking over her phone. She had the physical phone and I don't quite understand how they did it but someone bought a new phone, had all her info and settings ported over to the new phone, and her bank accounts were compromised. It's common enough that there are class action suits in the US against the major carriers alleging that they were too lax in letting just anyone come in with a new phone and have someone else's settings installed.

I do have a few banking apps on my phone so I can use mobile check depositing but now that I think of it I'll probably delete them from my phone before my next trip.

This sim card duplication is a big danger, as many banks , etc use 2 factor authorization. Once a thief duplicates a phone number, then it's easy to reset passwords/username/ even talk to support staff and convince they the thief is the real user.

It's scary...

When I travel the only think I do to my laptop is disable the AutoLogin and go back to fingerprint, Face, password and Pin.

I'd bring the laptop since I can't stand doing more than a few quick lookups on my phone. The small screen drives me crazy.

Heading off to an almost month long trip to Australia and Asia fairly soon. April 1st -> 28th. Everything is on autopilot so the little that I need / want to do I'll do on my phone

I've done both on long trips and the last time I brought the laptop I never used it. Being that we travel light (carry-on bags only even for 4 week trips) it's space I hate to use up even thought it's a small 13" Macbook. I typically worry about it being stolen or damaged when traveling and if it's not along for the trip it's just one less thing to be worried about.

These days there's not much I can't do on my phone and in a real pinch I'm sure I could find a computer to use somewhere if needed in a library, hotel, etc.

I’d love to know how you go away for 4 weeks with just a carryon. We have a tour to Italy this year and I’m obsessing about how to pack because it’s for 16 days and we will be in hotels so no washer/ dryer, etc.Never mind toiletries for that long.

I’d love to know how you go away for 4 weeks with just a carryon. We have a tour to Italy this year and I’m obsessing about how to pack because it’s for 16 days and we will be in hotels so no washer/ dryer, etc.Never mind toiletries for that long.

Most hotels have laundry service. Toiletries can be purchased just about anywhere.

Most hotels have laundry service. Toiletries can be purchased just about anywhere.
This.

Traveling light to first world countries is easy. When I am looking at something with an eye to packing it but wondering, I simply say to myself "They have stores there." and put the item back.

We've been to somewhere over 40 countries, always assuming we'll get some laundry done about halfway, and have never been disappointed. Only once (in Zimbabwe) did a hotel try to rip us off with very high laundry charges. Our guide took over negotiations and they cut the bill in half. But if we had gotten gouged so what? As a fraction of the cost of the trip it was in the round off error.

It doesn't have Excel and I like to keep track of my spending but I'm just fine with pencil and paper for that.

Have you tried Google Sheets? I don't like it as much as Excel, but it will work in a pinch. Plus you can export from Sheets to Excel, CSV, and other formats.

Or you can get an Airbnb. I alternative between Airbnbs and hotels, depending on location, duration, and price. I usually try to squeeze in an Airbnb in that has a washer/dryer every week or so. In areas where it didn't work out, then I find a laundromat to do a couple of loads.

I've been traveling with a carry-on for well over a decade. The longest trip I've had was around 7-8 weeks and it wasn't an issue.

You have to be smart about what you pack. Layers are your friend, minimize shoes, and it's not that hard to pack a week's worth of clothing.

I've been traveling with a carry-on for well over a decade. The longest trip I've had was around 7-8 weeks and it wasn't an issue.

I may be doing 8 days in Greece this fall, and I've been considering trying to stick with a carry-on. For starters it will save me a checked bag fee. I lightweight backpack, so the concepts of light/small/redundant/layering aren't new to me. The biggest challenge for me is I'm very used to using a full-sized buckwheat pillow, which I take with me on every trip. But that's a lot of room and a lot of weight. I'm not a fan of feather or foam.

I use my iPad for short weekend trips but bring my laptop for anything longer than that - I like to have access to my spreadsheets. If I am presented with any investment opportunities, I like to have my laptop to review - but that might just be because my eyesight is getting worse.

Travel

Headed to Australia and New Zealand for a month long journey. Debating to bring my laptop or not. Everything financial is on the laptop/in the cloud. Feel like I am increasing a security risk if I use it. I did download NordVPN for my phone and I will use that all the time and I could hot spot the laptop to the phone.

I spend a lot of time browsing on the laptop which is not the point of the trip of course. Thoughts?

My suggestion if you don’t take it. Consider a 1TB SSD USB drive. Encrypt it and copy what you think you might need. If you lose it or the encryption key, you don’t lose much. If the computer goes, lots of issues.

I have a low value surface tablet that works with the external drive.

I do travel with my rugged NB, but that’s a 10 pound add when needed.

There are some countries, Israel among them, that have been known to copy computer contents or confiscate it for evaluation. They usually return them eventually at your cost.

VPN and having stored in the cloud is useful. But use your phone's hotspot and not a hotel or public wifi.

I bring an iPad or something like that which is lightweight.

VPN and having stored in the cloud is useful. But use your phone's hotspot and not a hotel or public wifi.

I bring an iPad or something like that which is lightweight.

Make sure that your laptop/iPad/phone etc. Have a password/passcode etc. Do not use Browser-based Password Manager (not encrypted). I use free BitWardem which also multi-platform and synchs on every device.

Back
Top Bottom