Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
A dumb question: Why are we so worried about security on planes and forgetting about cinemas, theaters, malls, stadiums, queues fior the buses, stations...etc etc?
In addition to the impact on other air travel that Alan mentioned, there are other reasons a jet airliner is a particularly sensitive potential target. Because of the particular situation (hundreds of people located thousands of feet aloft inside a thin aluminum tube), it requires only one bad guy, no exotic materials, and only a little explosive to kill a lot of people. More importantly, if a terrorist commandeers an airplane and flies it, he's in control of a tremendously powerful missile. With thousands of gallons of flammable liquids aboard and a mass of 300,000 lbs that can reach and be flown into any one of thousands of vulnerable locations at a speed of several hundred miles per hour, it's no overstatement to say that a hijacked airliner is a weapon of mass destruction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

True. But to take control of the airliner and use it as a missile requires flight skills. And having the tank full means that it must be outward bound, or coming from somewhere close, not incoming from a faraway country with a tank 1/8 full. The modus operandi of 9-11 may not work again because we know about it. What we don't know worries me more.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
True. But to take control of the airliner and use it as a missile requires flight skills. And having the tank full means that it must be outward bound, or coming from somewhere close, not incoming from a faraway country with a tank 1/8 full. The modus operandi of 9-11 may not work again because we know about it. What we don't know worries me more.
I think the major difference is that the response to a hijacking has changed 180 degrees. No more "just go along with the demands and let authorities work on it." The cockpit door is now secure, and almost every passenger on the plane knows his/her life depends on stopping a hijacking before the lunatic gets in there.

BTW, American Flight 11 (struck the North Tower of the WTC) had about 10,000 gals of fuel aboard, which is less than 1/3 full, and was enough to bring that structure down.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

here's a wierd one...on the way home from vegas in las vegas int'l, i was waiting in security line. up comes an apparent TSA employee...passing up all the security checks, metal detectors etc...he walks right by it all with a duffel bag in hand....any one else see a problem with this?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
here's a wierd one...on the way home from vegas in las vegas int'l, i was waiting in security line. up comes an apparent TSA employee...passing up all the security checks, metal detectors etc...he walks right by it all with a duffel bag in hand....any one else see a problem with this?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? This is always a problem with security, one that never seems to be addressed very well. I guess we're just lucky the TSA employees are so well vetted for quality and integrity. Also, since they are so well paid there won't be a problem with bribery.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #186

What I really meant was that there are plenty of normal daily situations where a lot of people gather and there is no way to control their security or prevent any attempt against them...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much agree with Vincente, it seems to me that the terrorist would be much better off, focusing their energy on attacks outside of the airlines.

I remember a movie/book Black Sunday IIRC, where they blew up a Blimp during the Superbowl, which I thought would a truly terrifying event.

It seems me that any sporting event or something like a rock concert which has a lot of people packed into a small space would be a good target. I think is also vital that there is TV or film coverage of the activity so that gruesome footage of the aftermath can be widely distributed is also critical.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Once again, parody begets reality.

For Airport Security, Size Matters - May 6, 2010
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Once again, parody begets reality.

For Airport Security, Size Matters - May 6, 2010
So...let me get this straight. The guy is angry because his coworkers laugh at his 'shortcomings', so he commits assault and it becomes headline news.....
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So...let me get this straight. The guy is angry because his coworkers laugh at his 'shortcomings', so he commits assault and it becomes headline news.....
They call it thinking with the wrong, er, ...well, you know.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...