Lawnmower hard to start

We have a 19-year-old Honda 4-stroke lawnmower. I maintain it (change oil, clean air filter, sharpen blade, brush spark plug clean and check gap) every year.

It works great, but lately it has been hard to start (pull-cord). It takes many tries to get it going. Once it's started, it runs without a hitch.

I was thinking it might be the spark plug, which is as old as the mower, but I sort of imagined that if that was the problem, that there would also be problems when it's running.

Any ideas ?

Come on. Change the spark plug and let us know if it cures the problem.

After 19 years of cleaning the plug, I can't believe there is anything
"metal" left.....for the spark to jump to.:confused:

My mower has been acting up. It won't start unless I remove the air filter and spray starter fluid, then it runs for about 5 seconds and stops..new plug, oil, and fresh gas.

Finally got it going, but takes several attempts with the starter fluid..I can't just use the priming bulb.

Time to take it to the shop?

My mower has been acting up. It won't start unless I remove the air filter and spray starter fluid, then it runs for about 5 seconds and stops..new plug, oil, and fresh gas.

Finally got it going, but takes several attempts with the starter fluid..I can't just use the priming bulb.

Time to take it to the shop?

Depends on your skill level. It is not getting fuel, so you need to take the carburetor apart and blow out all the passages. Most likely water and or tiny particles clogging it up.

OK, I'll try that..thanks.

Depends on your skill level. It is not getting fuel, so you need to take the carburetor apart and blow out all the passages. Most likely water and or tiny particles clogging it up.

Try spraying carburetor cleaner in the throat and all of the small passages you can see. Also make sure you have fresh gas in the mower. I mix Stabil fuel conditioner in my gas that goes into my mower, power washer and generator. Remove the bowl of the carburetor and check for any debris.

If none of these things help then take it to a repair shop.

Very good.
Reminds me of my cottage neighbors. We just got back from the pig bbq. They made the pig cooker from an oil tank and rototiller parts. Works well. Good pig. They are good with small engines. Bad at keeping out of the "nervous hospital" (and jail). The EMS wagon was making a pick up when I was leaving. There is more but I am rambling. Guess I should have put this under What Did You Do Today?

Do you really think I could make this stuff up?

Back
Top Bottom