Layoff 'parting shot'

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
My daughter lives in the oil patch out in Midland, TX. I talked to her yesterday and asked her how the local economy was weathering the oil price bust. She told me there was one bright spot - job losses were causing a big boost in parking revenue at the city airport. Why?

It seems hundreds of oil patch employees had company trucks and when they were laid off, many flew back to civilization, leaving their company vehicle parked in the airport lot - with the keys locked inside. Fleet management is apparently not a skill held in high regard in the oil business, so most of the vehicles weren't tracked down for a number of weeks, running up hundreds of dollars per vehicle in airport parking fees...

Wow- well, that's one way to flip the bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have a friend that's a Baptist minister in the Permian Basin. His congregation is predominantly oil people, many of which are incredibly wealthy. Too bad they didn't invest in tree farms.

The place is virtually treeless and void of vegetation--with tumble weeds. I guess it's what's down in the earth that matters.

And the region a long way from anywhere--300 mi. from Dallas and 300 mi. from El Paso. It'd be a little quiet living for me.

What a cool story. I'd like to think most of us had better relationships with our (former) empl*yers - even if we couldn't wait to leave. Still, the (figurative) middle finger of these workers is so much better than the sabotage I've heard of when w*rkers get pi$$ed at mgmt. I know a very small retailer who was struck by his employees for not "welcoming" a union. The nastiness, deceit and sabotage was truly shocking considering the actual situation. I guess we all have to make up our own minds how we treat those we either w*rk for or whom we empl*y. YMMV

Wow, I thought I was doing well by reducing the household possessions to a single medium sized moving truck. Oil patchers have clearly mastered ephemeral, lightweight living - pack the suitcases and go......

Back
Top Bottom