LBYM Drapes

Try Wayfair.com. I just bought grommet blackout drapes and curtain rods for 3 rooms in my new house. 2 of the windows were 120". Total price was about $300.

Not sure what you did (or I did wrong), but following the link, 150X80 is $1,024 which is about what I'd expect. The quote for the sheers was $1,000 which I did not expect at all. Thought sheers and a basic rod would be about $300-$500. Good to see though that HD has a Bali sale. We may run up there and see what they can do. ....

I dunno.... here is what I get:
Levolor
Curved Vinyl Vertical Blind
4.3 out of 5
(149) Write a Review
Get the same practical functionality you might find with more expensive drape options, like superior light control and privacy, but at one low, affordable price. Read More
$279.68
for

in by

in

Product Width (in.)

Product Height (in.)

They have installation services too. I'd also see what Lowes has but I could not find custom widths online.

Last edited:
Bed Bath and Beyond has nice pre made drapes, some of which are hanging in my living room. Had them for 7+ years. Don't forget to take your coupons as they never expire.

Perhaps he clicked on the second link (that ends in 9) rather than the first (which ends in 5).

Perhaps he clicked on the second link (that ends in 9) rather than the first (which ends in 5).

Dah - that's what I did. :blush:

The house we purchased already had custom cornice boards and beautiful wood blinds in every window.

The "wood blinds" are plantation shutters and when I had them installed in several windows they ran $30/square foot through Costco.:( The good news is that I love them.

Recently moved in to a new home. Lots of windows in the LR, DR.

Spouse keeps mentioning if I like what's there. If I like shutters, if I like this, or that.

I say I like what is there. It only curtains after all and what's not to like? But this won't go on for much longer. It will be curtains for me. And I know it will be new curtains for us.

I don't want to know the cost. Have to rely on DW to get the best price. She always does. I am just a little concerned about what that 'best price' could be.

Maybe we should just keep what is already there and spend the money on travel. That would be my choice. Then again, maybe not. Happy wife, happy life.

Recently moved in to a new home. Lots of windows in the LR, DR.

Spouse keeps mentioning if I like what's there. If I like shutters, if I like this, or that.

I say I like what there. It only curtains after all. But this won't go on for much longer. It will be curtains for me. And I know it will be new curtains for us.

I don't want to know the cost. Have to rely on DW to get the best price. She always does. I am just a little concerned about what that 'best price' could be.

Maybe we should just keep what is already there and spend the money on travel. Then again, maybe not. Happy wife, happy life.

I really do not understand how a bit of cloth with a few pleats, ironed and hung from rod can be that expensive. The rod too....what is so special about a long thin piece of tin that makes it so expensive?

Whatever you do, make sure the carpet matches the drapes.

We just had our entire house (32 windows) completed using plantation shutters. We use to go the custom drapery route but these days in our case we like the look of shutters. Prices vary on the material used style and trim factors. 150" window is a very large undertaking that will cost you as you have stated. IMO the drapes will be the way to go and look at it as a one time cost for a few years.

The drapes need to be 2x to 3x wider than the window itself to look "full" when drawn. Decorator fabric usually come in 54" width, so I think that you will need about 6 vertical panels of fabric to dress the window. If you want full length drapes and the height of your ceiling is standard, you will need 3 yards x 6 = 18 yards of fabric (more if there is a pattern to match). Then you need the same amount of lining fabric (depending on what you choose - basic, blackout, soundproof, insulating, etc... - it can add up pretty quickly). Fabric prices are all over the place, based on material and provenance, so careful fabric shopping can save you the most money on this project (don't forget to check online fabric discount stores). You can probably find a nice cotton fabric for $10-$20 a yard and if you go with a basic lining material like cotton muslin, you probably won't have to spend more than a few hundred dollars on materials. Sewing drapery panels is an easy job for any seamstress worth her salt and I think that you can keep cost below $1K.

Maybe we should just keep what is already there and spend the money on travel. That would be my choice. Then again, maybe not. Happy wife, happy life.

+1 Smart man.:)

5 windows in our house have shower curtains (on expandable shower rods).
A couple of long skinny windows have a matched pair of beach towels loop over and sewn to hold a rod.
The rest have whatever my wife could sew up.

No carpet in the new house. Apparently that went out of style a few years ago.

IMO the "fancy" drape era has gone the way of carpet...they are dust catchers, hard and expensive to clean and unless very classic or neutral quickly go out of style.

Five grand is a lot of dough for drapes.

I'm getting my sliding glass door replaced soon. It's a big one too, 95 inches by 80 inches. Going to be a special custom with a dog door built right into the glass and another one in the screen. Since you can't work tempered glass one panel will be new custom made with the notch cut for the doggy door, then tempered after the cut. Glass shop will assemble and then install after removing existing door. Double pane efficient glass too.

Cost for the whole works is $3500

IKEA sells drapery panels that are really inexpensive. They also carry long panels to fit tall windows/sliding door openings.

omni

+1 We learned of these from some flippers - CHEAP! window enhancement. We sleep with open doors down south and use them to keep skeeters and cats without a sense of determination out of the bedroom. We use little springloaded rubber-tipped rods inside the doorframe. Works well enough and we toss and replace if a cat experiments with claws.

an example:

TERESIA Sheer curtains, 1 pair - IKEA

The "wood blinds" are plantation shutters and when I had them installed in several windows they ran $30/square foot through Costco.:( The good news is that I love them.

Plantation shutters have a frame around the blinds and typically hinge to the side.

Blinds (wood or other material) can be raised/lowered like your typical mini blind. The wood blinds, specifically tend to be 2.5" or 3" slats (vs the narrow slats of mini blinds). Depending on the width of the window there can be multiple sets of blind cords. Higher end ones use cloth to cover up the blind cords.

For the windows in our house that have drapes we've bought panels and then hemed/seamed as needed.

Here are my new drapes

37562127340_d9e6e3e2e9_z.jpg

Closed and open;

37788492742_e6819460c9_z.jpg

3 grommeted panels and the new rod with the fancy finials was $200 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

How's that for cheap? Don't want expensive stuff there, that door gets a lot of use by us and the dogs.

Here are my new drapes

37562127340_d9e6e3e2e9_z.jpg

Closed and open;

3 grommeted panels and the new rod with the fancy finials was $200 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

How's that for cheap? Don't want expensive stuff there, that door gets a lot of use by us and the dogs.

Definitely cheap! How "see through" are they? It's hard to tell from the photo, but I can tell that at least some light goes through them and I wonder if any passerby would see too much. :)

No "passers by" here, my backyard. Storm drain collection in back of fence as big as a football field, dug down 20 feet, fenced and maintained by the city.

Back
Top Bottom