AdGuard Self Installing on My PC?!

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I booted up my computer this morning and after entering my PIN was greeted by a window pop-up telling me that AdGuard would install. I thought that was odd as I had used AdGuard in the past but uninstalled it after I started using uBlock as recommended by many on this forum.

I was given an option to not install the program which I selected.

After my desktop home screen loaded another window pop-up from AdGuard telling me my trial period had expired and I could purchase their product by clicking on a button. I X'ed out of that window and immediately went to my Control Panel, Programs and Features. I sorted the installed programs by "Installed On date" and there was AdGuard with an Installed On Date of 12/28/23 (today). It's taking up 214MB of disk space.

I have not installed any new programs in quite some time. I have not installed any new Chrome extensions in a while (uBlock was the most recent, IIRC.) So apparently there is some dormant script on my computer placed by AdGuard that is leftover from when I previously used this program or else I've been hacked and his is some sort of fake malware?

Currently running a quick scan using Windows Virus and Threat Protection.

I'm thinking of uninstalling the program next.

Anybody have this happen to them? What did you do to get rid of it?

Go to installed programs and remove it.

Go to installed programs and remove it.

Yep, just did that. Incredibly when completed another pop-up window "Don't Say Goodbye, Get 20% Off". Ironic that an ad-blocker is sending me more ads than just about anybody!

Then a question, "Please tell us why you are leaving", which I declined to participate.

I suppose there is something buried in my Windows OS register that needs to be removed. Oh well.

It's not really "buried" if it's in your installed programs.

I think our "problem" is that we remember when program behavior like this was out of favor. The old days are gone, though.

Hopefully it's really gone now.

It's not really "buried" if it's in your installed programs.

Well, that's the thing--it was uninstalled several months ago using the same method I just used now. Uninstall from the Control Panel > Programs.

So, how did my PC get the signal to place a pop-up window on my home screen immediately after my PIN was entered after booting up this morning and before I got to my desktop home screen?

That's what's bugging me.

I think it could be Task Scheduler. So you can check that.

Another idea is something in Startup Items.

Relevant topic.

I had the need to uninstall some programs that the regular uninstaller didn't handle. One was a program (darn I can't remember the name!) I installed but didn't show up on the regular uninstaller. Two, just now, to get my UPS backup battery monitor software top get recognized, I had to first uninstall some traces of old installs removed.

In both situations, a program called Revo Uninstaller did the trick. I've been using a free 30 trial pro version. There's also a scaled down free version (which I haven't tried). Might be worth trying Revo for those stubborn progams.

Sometimes a company will have a more-thorough uninstaller. I have a dim memory of such a thing for AVG.

Sometimes a company will have a more-thorough uninstaller. I have a dim memory of such a thing for AVG.

Yes! I remember AVG from my Windows XP days. It was like a virus itself, when trying to get rid of it.

Yep, just did that. Incredibly when completed another pop-up window "Don't Say Goodbye, Get 20% Off". Ironic that an ad-blocker is sending me more ads than just about anybody!

Then a question, "Please tell us why you are leaving", which I declined to participate.

I suppose there is something buried in my Windows OS register that needs to be removed. Oh well.

You might consider Revo Uninstaller. Two versions, free and pro.
https://www.revouninstaller.com

Back
Top Bottom