Join Early Retirement Today

LBYM Drapes
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

LBYM Drapes

Well the shock has worn off and I come asking the group what to do with covering my window. I have a window that's about 150" in my living room. All the other windows have custom ordered shades that I installed that were quite reasonably priced. I figured I'd splurge on the living room window and do it up nice. Told DW to call JC Penny and have them send someone out. Since then, the lowest quote has been about $2600 and when asked to price out a picture we saw at Home Depot, the price rose to about $5000.

Of course there's no way we're spending that much on one window. The lady has made sure we know that they use very nice fabric and the panels are solid pieces of fabric, not stitched together panels. The rods aren't even decorative, but they're the type that have a draw cord to pull the drapes open from the center out.

Short of sewing our own drapes, which frankly, we're not capable of doing, what are some ways to get nice drapes for a reasonable some of money. We're looking for sheers and curtains but about the highest I want to go is $2000 and even that is a killer. JC Penny said I could get the sheers (very nice ones mind you) with that type of budget. Please help.

Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a view wall with more glass than that. No need to cover it for privacy as there's no house remotely across from me and it's not ground level, but I needed protection from the morning sun. I found that window tint was more economical than the shades I had priced, and it blocks the sun well enough without having to shut out the view in the morning. The tint is from 3M and I had it done by a good installer. He said they also have some tints that are reflective and work well for privacy, had I needed it.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 1980's, my ex and I bought a house in Texas with huge 14' high windows near the entry. The seller had no curtains to offer us for those windows, which also looked right into our living room from the street.

We managed to get very nice curtains sewn for a reasonable price, by a local woman who ran her business out of her home. She couldn't speak English very well, so we were relieved and happy when the curtains turned out to be just what we requested.

My present home came with blinds, which are fine with me so I haven't purchased any curtains. The kitchen window had no blinds, so I got some of that window film meant for privacy. I also put window film on my bedroom windows even though they had blinds, because it is my bedroom. The beveled glass front door had nothing, so I placed a privacy screen appropriately.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Well the shock has worn off and I come asking the group what to do with covering my window. I have a window that's about 150" in my living room. All the other windows have custom ordered shades that I installed that were quite reasonably priced. I figured I'd splurge on the living room window and do it up nice. Told DW to call JC Penny and have them send someone out. Since then, the lowest quote has been about $2600 and when asked to price out a picture we saw at Home Depot, the price rose to about $5000.

Of course there's no way we're spending that much on one window. The lady has made sure we know that they use very nice fabric and the panels are solid pieces of fabric, not stitched together panels. The rods aren't even decorative, but they're the type that have a draw cord to pull the drapes open from the center out.

Short of sewing our own drapes, which frankly, we're not capable of doing, what are some ways to get nice drapes for a reasonable some of money. We're looking for sheers and curtains but about the highest I want to go is $2000 and even that is a killer. JC Penny said I could get the sheers (very nice ones mind you) with that type of budget. Please help.

We got Hunter Douglas, man came over , measured and installed. Cost me a total of $7600 bucks for the whole house. When he threw out the price I thought he was joking, he was dead serious. We priced out a few others, Home Depot, Blinds direct, a few others. We got the ones where during the daytime you can look out, but "they" can not look in. I highly recommend giving your local Hunter Douglas man a call, free estimate, see what he says.

We get a ton of compliments, and even a few "oh I wanted those, but they were too much." I think our biggest window is 120", im not sure, but it was less than 1500 bucks for that one.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Purchase the fabric yourself and hire a local seamstress to make the panels.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

In the mean time you could Tack a stained bed sheet to the wall, preferable with a few holes in it, they were all the rage in some places I worked at.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Purchase the fabric yourself and hire a local seamstress to make the panels.
+1
Have to agree. Don't know where the OP is, but around here (Houston) there are a good number of independent seamstresses.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

26 years ago I bought my first house, a 1924 Craftsman bungalow. There were basswood horizontal blinds on most windows, but they had seen better days. I painted the slats and got a local family firm to restring them. The patriarch of the firm was very excited to see them. He said he could tell from the mechanism that they had been custom made between 1946 and 1948. He estimated that they were worth about $CDN5000. Later, a friend who liked my blinds had similar blinds custom made for one window about 72" by 48". That cost her $2000 in 1994. In 1997, I had custom drapes made for 4 windows. The cost was $1700. Of course, when I sold the house, they, and the blinds, had to stay. My current home came with standard Venetian blinds. As it overlooks a field, there was no need to buy drapes.

Bottom line: custom window treatments are more expensive than you think. I agree with the suggestion to find a good seamstress.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I would price some other options but then I have always hated drapes.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm pretty frugal when it comes to window coverings. Panels from Big Lots do us just fine.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
In the mean time you could Tack a stained bed sheet to the wall, preferable with a few holes in it, they were all the rage in some places I worked at.
I have seen renters do the sheet thing.

Mini-blinds can work. Or vertical blinds. Or the fancy blinds that are more solid, but similar to mini-blinds.

Look for used drapes if you really want drapes.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Speaking as a long-ago former renter, I can attest: There are some pretty sheets out there! Already hemmed! Besides the sheets, all you have to buy is a bunch of curtain clips and a rod that the clips will fit over, And there you go. I sewed pennies into the bottom hems to make them hang straight. Easy to throw in the washer and dryer, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have seen renters do the sheet thing.

Mini-blinds can work. Or vertical blinds. Or the fancy blinds that are more solid, but similar to mini-blinds.

Look for used drapes if you really want drapes.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #13

IKEA sells drapery panels that are really inexpensive. They also carry long panels to fit tall windows/sliding door openings.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

All overpriced. Just sew together a bunch of used dryer sheets.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a 120" sliding door that needed drapes. I bought several sets of grommet top panels from Penney's to use. I did have to pull each one closed by hand, rather than having a pull cord to close them all at once, but I got them on sale for a total of about $120 so I didn't mind.
I guess you could buy several panels and have them seamed together if you wanted something that you could pull close easier.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #16

I think Costco sells Hunter Douglas.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a wall of windows in our LR and DR. I bought 2 rods and drape panels directly from JC Penneys, all less than $200 and installed ourselves. The fabric is not fancy, just a cotton/poly/silk washable blend, but has the silk look and drape.
Not sure why your estimate is so expensive, unless it is for custom made and installed?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Try Amazon, JCP, or another online retailer. This assumes you are ok with hanging the drapes - you can hire someone to install the hardware if needed. Like you, we have a large (160") feature window w/a view and are in the process of pricing window treatments. Search for 2 or 4 100" or wider drapes x the height you desire. Use keywords such as "patio", "wide panel", etc). With some research, you can find good quality drapes and hardware, and control the cost. (Hubby says $2-3k is fine to spend on the window .. uh I think $500 will do it )
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I had a 120" sliding door that needed drapes. I bought several sets of grommet top panels from Penney's to use. I did have to pull each one closed by hand, rather than having a pull cord to close them all at once, but I got them on sale for a total of about $120 so I didn't mind.
I guess you could buy several panels and have them seamed together if you wanted something that you could pull close easier.
+1
It works for me too.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I think Costco sells Hunter Douglas.
They might, we had a few estimates from large companies. We went with a private independent Hunter Douglas guy. He was a few bucks cheaper, and said he would hold off on the order so we could qualify for an upcoming rebate.