LCD HDTV's - Vertical viewing angle

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've heard that LCD manufacturers have improved their horizontal viewing angles (I frequently see 170 degrees mentioned in the adds). But how about vertical angles?

The potential placement of our's would be straight-on horizontally, but maybe 30 degrees or so above our viewing position. Anybody have experience with this?

According to Consumer Reports, LCD TVs are particularly susceptible to picture degradation when the viewing angle changes in the vertical direction. They suggest that you try out the angles you would view on any set you might buy.

Patrick said:
According to Consumer Reports, LCD TVs are particularly susceptible to picture degradation when the viewing angle changes in the vertical direction. They suggest that you try out the angles you would view on any set you might buy.

Pretty sure I will never own one. Another problem avoided.

JG

i went with dlp.. it seemed to offer greater viewing angles

i agree ,vertical is tough on any screen, but its not important to most people. we ususally dont watch a show standing up. a wide viewing angle was extremely important to us since we have a small room and ofton sit off to the side up close.

our dlp was still okay standing but very dim. i dont think up to 30 degrees would be to bad though

gindie said:
I've heard that LCD manufacturers have improved their horizontal viewing angles (I frequently see 170 degrees mentioned in the adds). But how about vertical angles?

The potential placement of our's would be straight-on horizontally, but maybe 30 degrees or so above our viewing position. Anybody have experience with this?

I have 2 LCDs - Not a problem. I have had LCD TVs for 2 years. I would still buy LCD. Love the Picture, No DLP or Plasma fan noise and they run cool with no burn in.

You won't think about angle of view when you get it! Mine looks good anywhere in the room.

thats the one good thing about my toshiba, the fan noice is sooooooo low its not even audible. on the other hand the fan in my linn sizmik subwoofer is horribly annoying. you wouldnt think little things like fan noise was important but yes it is.

I am thinking about buying a 42" HDTV. When I looked at these things a couple of years ago plasma TVs were a lot cheaper than LCDs. When I was at Costco the other day it looked like the situation has reversed. Are LCDs now generally cheaper than plasmas, or did I just see a limited selection?

mathjak107 said:
thats the one good thing about my toshiba, the fan noice is sooooooo low its not even audible. on the other hand the fan in my linn sizmik subwoofer is horribly annoying. you wouldnt think little things like fan noise was important but yes it is.

I feel your pain. My lion size woofer made noise from 4:30 on this am.

JG

donheff said:
I am thinking about buying a 42" HDTV. When I looked at these things a couple of years ago plasma TVs were a lot cheaper than LCDs. When I was at Costco the other day it looked like the situation has reversed. Are LCDs now generally cheaper than plasmas, or did I just see a limited selection?

I'm guessing you saw some rear projection LCDs.

There are 2 types of LCDs that you'll see. There are the true flat panel ones and the rear projection ones. The true flat panel LCDs are more expensive than Plasmas for the same size screen. The rear projection LCDs are cheaper than plasmas. You can tell the difference by looking at the thickness of the screen. The rear Projection LCDs are about 8-10 inches thick, while the flat panel LCDs are less than 3 inches.

I have the flat panel LCDS and much prefer them over the rear projection LCDs. The flat panels are brighter and be watched in a brightly lit room. Not so with the rear Projection LCds

I just bought a 24" flat screen from Walmart for my mother's b'day. Small den so as big as she needs. Not a big name brand(Sanyo) but amazing quality for the money. $169 plus tax. :)

gindie said:

Per what Cut-throat brought up, you need to clarify what kind of LCD you're asking about. For instance, flat-panel LCD's behave a lot differently than rear-projection ones. I believe crutchfield has a good guide on pros/cons of the various types at their website.

I have a 40" 2006 model Sony Bravia flat-panel LCD. She's a beauty, but I look at her straight on, so i cant say.

Cut-Throat said:
I'm guessing you saw some rear projection LCDs.

I checked the online prices and I think I just mixed up my sets. These were all flat panel LCDs but I mixed up a 37" Vizio LCD ($999) with a 42 inch model. But looking across the various items available online it looks like the plasma discount is getting smaller by the day.

good high quality plasmas are still 3-4,000.00.. low end like the visio are cheaper but are no wheres near the quality of the better sets. id rather get a lcd or dlp unless i was prepared to spend for the better plasmas.

lab tests in perfect vision magazine have confirmed what my eyes tell me.

mathjak107 said:
good high quality plasmas are still 3-4,000.00.. low end like the visio are cheaper but are no wheres near the quality of the better sets. id rather get a lcd or dlp unless i was prepared to spend for the better plasmas.

lab tests in perfect vision magazine have confirmed what my eyes tell me.
I don't know. I have a two year old Vizio 42" in another room than the basement I am evaluating sets for now. I compared it to name brand sets costing 50 - 60% more and couldn't see a difference. I can't remember the details but when I researched it before buying I learned that the glass was from a company called LG or something from Korea that made the same screen for many higher end brand name companies. The Costco lifetime guarantee finally made the deal. It may be that the higher price spread is actually better but if I can't see the difference does it matter? By way of disclosure, I don't buy high end audio either - I just can't discern enough of a difference (needing hearing aids may have an effect as well) ;)

lg is actually goldstar under the witness protection program .

the names have been changed to protect the guilty ha ha

Its a toss-up between a high quality LCD flat-panel and plasmas now. They both have their pro's and con's and the final tally is actually about a tie. You can get a 46" Bravia (same one as my 40") for well under 3K.

my own observations are plasmas still have far better richness of color than either lcd or dlp. lcd never seems as bright to me as dlp in a bright room and dlp tends to blur fast action somewhat. plasma dosnt have such great blacks, my dlp has it beat there

donheff said:
I don't know. I have a two year old Vizio 42" in another room than the basement I am evaluating sets for now. I compared it to name brand sets costing 50 - 60% more and couldn't see a difference. I can't remember the details but when I researched it before buying I learned that the glass was from a company called LG or something from Korea that made the same screen for many higher end brand name companies.

BTW, LG & Philips LG has made a joint venture and created LG-Nortel Network. Since 2001, LG has two joint ventures with Royal Philips Electronics: LG Philips Display and LG Philips LCD. Capstan Communications imports and distributes LG-Nortel Business Communication Systems within the UK market (per Wikipedia).

LG also has a joint venture with Hitachi, Ltd.: Hitachi-LG Data Storage, which manufactures optical data storage solutions like DVD-ROM drives, CD writers, etc.

I just had my Vizio 50" delivered yesterday. It replaced a 3yr old Hatachi LCD (not flat panel) that sounded like a small plane with the fan running. I know that you can't compare the two (due to the evolution of the technology), but the Vizio was sure a great "value". The Hatachi had to be replaced due to the color generator card going bad ($700 for the card - $200 for the service call; no way was I going to "invest" any more $$$ in that set).

- Ron

i believe the lg division that makes consumer electronics is the ole goldstar company.

Be honest here. Doesn't a regular tube TV have the best picture? The DLPs, LCDs, and plasmas may take up less space but are they really as good or better than the old cathode ray tube?

Martha said:
Be honest here. Doesn't a regular tube TV have the best picture? The DLPs, LCDs, and plasmas may take up less space but are they really as good or better than the old cathode ray tube?
I'm no expert on picture quality. But I can say that a 42 inch CRT would be a whopper. Sure couldn't hang it on a wall. But don't begrudge us our toys Martha - we are boys 8)

If the CRT's scan rate and lines of resolution are equal to the competition, then they're as good or better. Otherwise, no.

And, for reference, my 50" dlp weighs around 60lbs; a 50" CRT would weigh more like 600...

Martha said:

I think a lot of people would agree with you on this Martha. The problem is that for a 32 inch screen the CRT set will weigh close to 200 lbs! - I have a 40 inch LCD flat Panel that weighs about 45 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom