Leadership/Leaders --where is it/where are they??

janeeyre

Recycles dryer sheets
Something has gone terribly wrong in this country and I am not sure when it started. We were always the world model because of our American dream –“we can do it” attitude and our ethics. Every kid could rise nobly from the mailroom to the boardroom. Now, CEOs are nothing but hired guns. As for the politicians, -- forget about it. I don’t see a leader amongst our current crop. They are the products of focus groups, lobbyist junkies, etc. etc. And what of “the people”. What do we care about? -- working honorably, caring about our neighbors, sacrificing for future generations, oops what generations is this:confused:

janeeyre said:
As for the politicians, -- forget about it. I don’t see a leader amongst our current crop.
Well, the American people routinely punish leaders at the polls. If a politician owns up to a mistake, people say "let's get someone who doesn't make a mistake". Someone who says "we need higher taxes or lower spending -- and I mean YOUR taxes and YOUR spending" is applauded for 3 minutes (at most) and then booted out. If a office-holder doesn't spend 80% of his/her efforts looking out for the next election (raising money, getting funding for in-district projects, helping constituents), then they lose the next election.

Robert the Red said:
If a office-holder doesn't spend 80% of his/her efforts looking out for the next election (raising money, getting funding for in-district projects, helping constituents), then they lose the next election.

Gulp, you mean we're the problem? ;)

The american people re elected Bush for a second term

Brainless americans nuff said.

A little too doom and gloom for me. I'd argue we are still the envy of the world! I just don't see people fleeing the US in droves for other places. What am I missing?

janeeyre said:
As for the politicians, -- forget about it. I don’t see a leader amongst our current crop.

Then you are blind. Open your eyes and see Mayor Richard M Daley, Supreme Democrat.

Arc said:
A little too doom and gloom for me. I'd argue we are still the envy of the world! I just don't see people fleeing the US in droves for other places. What am I missing?

Yep, I'm pretty sure all the talk about protecting our borders is about keeping people out, right?

If this is such a terrible place, why do we need to do that?

Of course we have our problems, and the political situation is a shambles, but I won't join the doom and gloom chorus either.

-ERD50

Leaders get fired. In order for someone to be a leader they MUST take a stand on some issue. When they take a stand, they invariably offend someone resulting in their termination.

Arc said:

Oh the rest of the world well Su(ks anyway. And getting out of the usa is well a pain in the arse. Ya know moving your stuff, plus other than real 3rd world messes most of the western world wants nothing to do with americans. especially retired ones.

newguy888 said:

Yeah, Kerry would have "delivered us"................. :LOL: :LOL: :eek:

I'm not doom and gloom, but I would agree that we need more and better leaders in the U.S. now ... frankly, men and women with the cojones to do what is right, and to also have the guts to say why they are doing it. This is true for politics and business.

I also agree "we" are the problem. Our citizenry will get what we deserve. Another reason for great education ...

newguy888 said:

well, in theory democracy is as fair as one can get.

in practice, when you have masses of people who have limited education, are easily corralled by marketing, public education going down the tubes, you have a problem.

we're too easy to manipulate and too lazy to care.

in other countries voting % are way higher because it means a lot. water will get polluted, streets will not be fixed/ built etc. but here, we are complacent because most basic needs are taken care of and for those of us who are not taken care of, voting/participating/holding electeds accountable is often laughed upon, so the cycle continues...

Back
Top Bottom