Join Early Retirement Today

Left-Digit Bias
Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Left-Digit Bias

Didn't know that it had a name, but I have always discounted this effect even though I have seen it used many, many times. Guess I'm wrong.
Quote:
In one study, researchers offered people a choice between two different pens.
When the pens were priced at at $2.00 and $3.99, nearly half of the people chose the more expensive pen.
But when the prices changed by a single penny, to $1.99 and $4.00, fewer than 20 percent of people chose the more expensive pen.
Social scientists call this the "left-digit bias" peoples' tendency to place too much weight on the leftmost digit of a number.
This Blog Post Costs $3.99 : Planet Money : NPR

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I haven't read the study yet, but that quote has it's own interesting (to me) subtle bias in it:

nearly half of the people chose the more expensive pen.

followed by:

fewer than 20 percent... ...

I think it would be better said as (emph on changes):

Quote:
In one study, researchers offered people a choice between two different pens.
When the pens were priced at at $2.00 and $3.99, fewer than 50% of the people chose the more expensive pen.

But when the prices changed by a single penny, to $1.99 and $4.00, fewer than 20 percent of people chose the more expensive pen.
Why change from "nearly half" to "fewer than 20%"? Isn't "nearly half" also "fewer than 50%"? Although it's obvious that "half" is the same as "50%", it bugs me when writers change terms midstream. That's fine for literary works to provide interest, but when presenting data, keep the terms the same. I think the "nearly" half" provides a subtle bias of making the first group seem even larger than it is, relative to the group described as "fewer than X%".

Is there a name for that kind of bias?

edit/add: Further, the study is flawed if they were looking for left digit bias, as the relative value changed (albeit by a small amount). And even though they say they changed by a single penny, the difference is two pennies, and the difference is what matters. A better study would be:

$2.49 and $3.59 pens (a $1.10 difference, and a left digit difference of 1)

versus

$2.99 and $4.09 pens (a $1.10 difference, but a left digit difference of 2)

-ERD50

Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This is probably why the penny will never go away.

I'm much rather pay for gas at $4.99 a gallon that at $5 a gallon
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
This is probably why the penny will never go away.

I'm much rather pay for gas at $4.99 a gallon that at $5 a gallon
In my area they would sell it $4.99 and 9/10 cents. I guess that 9/10's of a cent meant more in the 70's but they still do it here.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Lots of (fun/interesting) related research about it

There many lab experiments (I could post a list later if interested) but also field evidence on this:
-Heuristic Thinking and Limited Attention in the Car Market
-Left-digit bias and inattention in retail purchases: Evidence from a field experiment
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexEcon View Post
There many lab experiments (I could post a list later if interested) but also field evidence on this:
-Heuristic Thinking and Limited Attention in the Car Market
-Left-digit bias and inattention in retail purchases: Evidence from a field experiment
I'm interested. Post whatever you have.

Ha