Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i'm a little confused here. i'm not sure if this thread is about purses, laminates, toilets or snowblowers.

Don't be silly, its about looking down on people who make different choices than we do. Hence the universal appeal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What was their income? Maybe they can easily afford it.
She was a probation officer and he was a new lawyer.Salaries are just not that high in Tampa,Fl..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
My thats a harsh judgment. Perhaps the guy just doesn't like snow removal. Or maybe Martha just sounded particularly sincere when she said she was dreading going home and doing it.
Uh.. talking about the beaded purse, $250/hour, etc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
My thats a harsh judgment. Perhaps the guy just doesn't like snow removal. Or maybe Martha just sounded particularly sincere when she said she was dreading going home and doing it.
My old work friend does see things in terms of dollars per hour. If it is a chore, then it makes the most sense to hire someone to do it because it is more efficient for him to work his job and earn more per hour. So, someone does his snow removal, gardening, decorating, car repairs, etc. Not really anything wrong with that, just different. It works fine for him because he likes his work more than he likes chores and he is very very good at his job.

And, some things that are not chores for some people would be chores to him. Beading purses is not a chore to me, it is fun and relaxing. I can't imagine he or his wife ever doing any "crafts" and they would prefer a more professional result than my amateur beading projects, i.e., Coach vs. Martha. Maybe that is a bit snooty and I don't think I would even want to show him my projects.

Fun for him is a Mediterranean cruise. That would be fun for me too. But I also can have fun camping in a woods somewhere, where he would not find that enjoyable.

He is urban, likes fine restaurants, has a beautiful home with a well landscaped yard and wears a tux to the opera. I am rural, like beans and rice, live in an apartment, love to garden and maybe you can get me into a pantsuit for the symphony.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it is about balance and choices. Are you willing to trade money for time? Do you choose to work longer and earn more money in order to pay for someone to do chores you prefer not to do? Or maybe you really can afford to pay for these services because you have more money than time. I chose to pay a housekeeper for 25 years when I was working 50-60 hours a week because I had to have a clean house to live in and did not have the time to do it myself. It was worth every penny.
The best thing about ER is the ability to make these choices without having to worry about running off to W**K to spend 10-14 hours a day. That in itself is so freeing. We now get to choose if we want to spend the time to bead a purse, rake a yard or whatever floats your boat.
2fer
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My "big house" has 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms..............amd I need all the space I have...............")

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I wonder if the popularity of HGTV helped create the credit mess this country is in right now. Everyone thinks "I gotta have it NOW 'cause everyone else has it since I saw it on HGTV".
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #48

I was amazed to see homes that were 2,000 to 5,000+ sf in 55+ communities where the homeowners would supposedly be downsizing!
And of course, the all-important granite counterparts...in "professional" gourmet kitchens of people who hate to cook!
And special rooms for "home theatres!"
And garden tubs, even though people 55+ might be better off thinking about walk-in showers...
The funniest "amenity" was in a smallish home of one level---it was a kitchenette in the master bedroom...less than a dozen steps from the kitchen. But the idea was not to have to "hike" to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I was amazed to see homes that were 2,000 to 5,000+ sf in 55+ communities where the homeowners would supposedly be downsizing!
Yeap, got an Uncle who downsized from 5000 sq ft to 4000 sq ft on the golf course. Said he was "downsizing" for the two of them. While DW and I are in our little 1280 sq ft house. Guess they wonder how we do it .
Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Don't know the total story however these TV shows are not very practical for most folks I know.....I'll stick to the Yankee workshop.
Does PBS still run 'This Old House?' That was a good show. Wonder what old Bob Villa is up to these days?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
He is urban, likes fine restaurants, has a beautiful home with a well landscaped yard and wears a tux to the opera. I am rural, like beans and rice, live in an apartment, love to garden and maybe you can get me into a pantsuit for the symphony.
This is a great statement! Earlier in my life and career, I thought that it was important to be that urban-type person. I thought that it was important to be sophisticated as a measure of intelligence. I am not exactly sure where this view came from. As I have aged and matured I realize I have always more naturally been in the rural-type camp. I am definately more comfortable here.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dawg52 - Bob is still around. I was doing some early morning surfing (channel type) last Saturday and came across him. Not sure what station but I don't think it was HGTV or PBS. I think the show as something like "Home Again" with Bob Villa. The "new" This Old House is pretty good and the "Ask This Old House" show, which usually follows the TOH show is good too.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Is this getting snowblown out of proportion? I mean, Martha *did* say to the guy that she was dreading the snow blowing chore, right? I would think that a casual conversation reply might be 'hey, if you are dreading it, why not hire someone to do it?'. Just does not sound unreasonable to me, no matter the task (taxes, lawn mowing, changing oil in the car, root canal, appendectomy, ...).

Now, had Martha said, ' I'm really looking forward to getting out in the brisk weather and getting some exercise with my snow shovel - I enjoy the time outside', then maybe you all have a point.

-ERD50
Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

If we dreaded doing all chores to the point of hiring them out, not many of us would be ER'd. (Though you might note that I did hire out the snowblowing for the next storm )

One other time this same guy suggested that we buy a very nice house across the street from him. Cost was about $800,000. Now I would seriously dread having to work for a few extra years to buy that house. As I said, different lifestyles.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That would not be good for me. I would have three bedrooms with matresses on the floor instead of one, and two bathrooms that give me fits to keep clean. Even when I was young, I couldn't figure out why Americans seemed willing to turn themselves into slaves to their homes.

I don't think I have the domestic gene.

Ha
I absolutely agree with you Ha.....I have to create the mood to clean my 1 bedroom apartment.....I cannot even fathom having a two story home with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms to clean....I would definitely have a fit.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved from a two bedroom, two bath townhouse to a two-story 4 bedroom 3 bath single family home. DD was 2 at the time, and we only have 1 child. Yeah, big difference in the cleaning. By the time I'm done w/one floor, I'm worn out already. There's probably been only two times in the last 8 years in which each one of us was in a bathroom, probably because we were ready to leave for a long drive. Even when we've had 12-14 people here, about once every 3 months for family get togethers, it's been rare that all three bathrooms have been used. Yet around here, you HAVE to have at least two bathrooms.

Regarding the original post, about once a month, I do hire a housecleaner to come because I can do other things while he/she's cleaning, and it's worth it for me to have 4-5 hours to do those other things. I declutter before the person shows up, so it's also an incentive for me to get my bottom moving!