Limit Professionals Compensation

Raise Taxes For Those Making More Than $200,000? (Thread Not About Wage Control!)

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters
yeah that's a good one
like a plot in a horror film ..The Thing That Couldn't Be Squashed or Killed!

I just thought about Intel - they have had a dominating position in the chip markets that they produce in don't they? I'm not sure...I remember their margins were huge back when I owned them... I wonder if they've faced anti-trust actions

Dan, time for you to start doing a little research.

Intel on Yahoo: Profit Margin (ttm):16.63%

Higher than your average big company probably. But I'd hardly claim that Intel was just taking it easy and letting the money roll in. They keep making faster, more power efficient chips on an aggressive schedule. I think they are pretty amazing for a big company.

They did get hit with some anti-trust action a while back. Something about releasing stuff in such a way that it made it anti-competitive for AMD, I forget the details. Settled out-of-court, IIRC.

AMD: Profit Margin (ttm):-36.29%

There is a big diff between a company having a large part of the market due to their ability to meet customer's demands, and a company abusing that position.

Apple and iPods could be another. But there are other good players available at good prices. Consumers have a choice.

-ERD50

Minimum wage:

Those who believe the current minimum wage is too low, what should it be?

"Don't know" is not an acceptable answer, because then you don't know that it is too low now.

erd - thanks but no thanks. I feel I've made my points as clearly as I can make them, I don't feel like belaboring them anymore than I have already. If that makes you feel that you have succeeded in defending your positions then that's ok with me. Its been entertaining and educational for me to discuss the areas we talked about and I thank you for the opportunity. Regards, good night and God Bless, Danny

I am late to this discussion so I won't be surprised if people ignore me. But someone mentioned polling of economists on minimum wage. A poll of economists is not terribly relevant. What is relevant is the research. My cousin is a leading economist on minimum wage research and her and other researchers are showing that there is an economic benefit to increasing the minimum wage. Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research

One other comment. It has been years since there has been any enforcement of the Sherman Act. I think one of the best things for our market, which will never be a totally free market, is to start enforcing antitrust laws.

I am late to this discussion so I won't be surprised if people ignore me. But someone mentioned polling of economists on minimum wage. A poll of economists is not terribly relevant. What is relevant is the research. My cousin is a leading economist on minimum wage research and her and other researchers are showing that there is an economic benefit to increasing the minimum wage. Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research

One other comment. It has been years since there has been any enforcement of the Sherman Act. I think one of the best things for our market, which will never be a totally free market, is to start enforcing antitrust laws.

Thanks Martha, I am interested in good info on the topic. I don't have time to read through it right now, but I wanted to acknowledge it.

I am on the fence myself, my gut tells me that there likely is a benefit, but there are also factors that offset *some* of that benefit. I'm trying to grasp just how big those factors are, and it looks (at a glance) that there is some good info in that link.

My gut also tells me that this is attacking the symptom, rather than the cause - and those approaches usually have the unintended consequences I warn about. But sometimes, attacking the symptoms is all we can do, and better than nothing? That may be the case with min-wage.

Anti-Trust - is that because most companies are settling out of court, or are afraid enough of govt intervention that they stay on the straight-and-narrow path (mostly)? The exception (with little actual remedy, IMO) was Microsoft, but we best stay away far from that topic lest this thread gets closed.

Any companies that you can name that you think should be brought up on charges? I would say the cell phone carriers, cable companies, phone companies (but VOIP is knocking at their door). Any others?

-ERD50

Have not read the whole article and might not...

But on my quick read, I did not see anything mentioned on the benefits that these people get from the gvmt and how much they will lose with their higher wage... going to $7.25 per hour for a full time person is $15K from just over $10K. I would think that would affect their benes...

And then let's go hog wild... if $7.25 makes things better, then why not $10.. why not $15?? would that not make things even 'more' better? I doubt it. As they said on one of the previous increases, that the rest of the market forces swamped the raise increase... and I would bet that would be the same here... if and when the recession comes, some will blame the increase in the wages.. but who really knows??

BTW.. I do not think the new law is bad... staying at the $5.15 for so long was a bit bad IMO...

Rather than make the minimum wage a political issue, I think we should peg it to CPI and up it every 5 years. At least help businesses by taking way uncertainty, and save everyone's money from the millions spent lobbying on each side of the debate. But I guess that would take away a lever for congressmen to force bribes er "campaign contributions" from their constituents.

I'm working on it Martha.

What is relevant is the research. My cousin is a leading economist on minimum wage research and her and other researchers are showing that there is an economic benefit to increasing the minimum wage. Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research.

Read this "research" report issued by EPI.

Then I looked at the Board of Directors of EPI and found it was almost entirely union offcials (Afscme, SEUI, UAW, United Communications Workers, etc, etc) plus Robert Reich.

I believe the sponsor of so-called "research" is also relevant.

Not surprising a labor union supported institute found reasons to raise the minimum wage.

Not in my recent memory. But the higher they can set the floor, the higher they can bargain for their union members!:eek:

Correct... the building cleaning people here got unionized and then struck... finally got a contract that called for higher wages and eventually benefits.. but the contract said the wages must be at least $1 higher than minimum... so, raise minimum, raise your union people...

I'm working on it Martha.

I was hoping someone would..........:eek::eek:

ATT is a monopoly, perhaps worse than it was before.............:eek:

Seems like the DOJ just rubber-stamps every merger there is...........:confused:

Congress tries to stave off the growth of the AMT and pay for it by taxing hedge fund managers, etc. at 35% instead of 15%...but it looks like it is doomed to failure.
House passes Tax reform Bill

Back
Top Bottom