Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
I cannot see myself hiking or riding (pedal or motor powered), which is what I do most, with a DSLR hanging around my neck or shoulder....
Exactly. In that case a DSLR is the wrong tool for the job. "The best camera is the one you have with you."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
a 7-figure investable asset ... where that 1st digit is not a "1"
LOL. I think we should define a term for that.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #63

I wondered too, but I think I've found it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ws.jpg (20.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ozstache, love the picture and am a bit envious of your plan to adventure ride in Oz. BTW, what are to two animals to the left ? One looks like a camel and the other a big ground hog ?
I think the middle sign is an image of a wombat.

(wow, how'd that happen?)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
a 7-figure investable asset ... where that 1st digit is not a "1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Only fair to pay due homage:

Bountiful-NW
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy! I may regret shooting my mouth off earlier. The truth is all it took was a dual steady income, a spouse who's frugal despite her love for dishes and glassware, and a life-long habit of frugality. Throw into that mix the stock bull market of 1980-2000, and we have to wonder why there aren't more millionaires.

Yes, I do not buy a $1600 camera if I do not know how to use it, nor am interested enough to find out. I think that in my hand it will turn out photos no different than the ones I have been taking with my pocket Canon. The latter already has more shooting modes than I have experimented with.

And speaking of bountiful NW, that's what's possessed by people who buy stuff that I did not know existed until yesterday when I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet. A kitchen faucet that costs as much as that camera! Could you believe that? And I do not believe that's the most expensive faucet on earth either. How could it be if it was carried by Home Depot, a hardware store for the common man?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #67

When I startet working I was often thinking about what I would buy when I'd have more money.
But when my income grew and I / we had accumulated some savings these thoughts changed: I was often happy just thinking that I could buy the stuff if I really wanted.
And I was even more often happy to think that I did not really want to and that I was able to walk away from the marketing blabla of "better, newer, ..."
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Just kiddin NW, poke poke,
I want a new vehicle and rationalize a hybrid would let me drive to town and get out an about more. Then pencil to paper and the a regular vehicle + gas cost is cheaper.... and old dependable is even cheaper yet.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #69

Aftr recapping my retirement years here on ER, not much else to offer.

Truth be told, DW and I don't think much about money anymore.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
I cannot see myself hiking or riding (pedal or motor powered), which is what I do most, with a DSLR hanging around my neck or shoulder,
Your version of adventure travel sounds fantastic, Ozstache!

One of the new breed of so-called mirrorless cameras might fit the bill. By that, I am referring to the cameras that have a larger sensor (the same or similar size as is in many DSLR's) but don't have the flip-up mirror or pentaprism/pentamirror. The result is a smaller and lighter camera that has the image quality of a DSLR. They are not quite as small and light as the small sensor compacts such as what you have, but definitely an improvement on "traditional" DSLR's.

OTOH, if you're happy with the image quality you're getting from your current compact, then keep on using that and whatever you decide to do - carry on with the travel!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, we all have different shoe sizes, and you will have to try on your own shoes, Major Tom. However, this is not the first thread where the OP asked whether to spend money, and more than 1/2 cheered him on.

Shortly after I found this forum, a poster asked whether he should spend $15K (I think) for a vacation, and many replied "just do it". And as I remember, many forgot to ask the OP if he was ER or FI. I think Suze Orman would pound her fists while screaming "Denied, denied, to all of you!"
We all have to take other people's opinions with a grain of salt. When I bought my $1,600 camera, some people seemed amused that I would spend so much money on a "gadget". But many of the same people would have no problem dropping many times more money on things like vacations, ATVs, motorcycles, boats, RVs, second homes, etc... So yes, we all have our own priorities. Personally, I travel very little. I live a simple life in an apartment with little storage space so I spend nothing on home improvement, furnishings, tools, and outdoors toys. I rarely drive anymore so I don't waste much money on cars, gasoline, and insurance. I dress in jeans and t-shirts almost exclusively. My idea of fun is going to the beach (free), hiking (free), and walking around town (free). All I want is a reasonably fast computer and a good camera (and in the world of digital photography, $1,600 is not even that expensive) because I spend several hours a day using one or the other.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #72
gone traveling

I bought a used Canon 1d over 10 years ago for about $2000. It's a really bulky 4 megapixel camera and very much top rated in its day.
Canon EOS-1D Review: Digital Photography Review

I bought a few expensive but great lenses over the years. I still use it today and prefer it over everything else I've had. I thought long and hard at the time about spending so much money but it's given me so much pleasure and tens of thousands of pictures later, that I never begrudge the cost
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
You're lucky it's a camera and not my current dream...an Airstream trailer!!!!

But life has taught me that just because I CAN afford something, doesn't mean I will get enough use out of the thing to make the purchase worthwhile....

In other words, I have made purchases over a lifetime that seemed like something I'd really like to do and develop, then lost interest....

Now, I try to evaluate the whole picture.....and in the case of a travel trailer, when I see the dozens and dozens of them out there sitting beside their owners homes for 50 weeks of the year, sinking into the ground, I say.."Nope"....

So I frequent the Travel Trailer owner forums and live life vicariously thru those folks!!!
This is why wisdom is learned. Fantastic. I love this thread.

How to Live to be a Hundred, by Luigi Cornaro, written by a man who lived in the 15, 16th century. Discourse on the Sober Life

In the book Luigi says there are things we can't have known until our fifties or sixties. But after knowing them, there's no excuse not to act.

Went to dinner with DW this Saturday in an area with lots of bars. In a few hours the place would be filled with party goers. My guess very few would be over the age of 50. Why? I know for one reason, I'll be sleeping, but mostly spending $10/drink and getting drunk is just not my kind of fun.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, it's not odd if you consider that perhaps 1/2 of the forum posters are already early retirees, and the rest ER wannabes. The ERs like myself have saved and scrimped through our life, and now we may want to let loose of our wallet a bit before our time runs out.

Signed someone who survives (so far) a life-threatening disease...

I agree full-heartedly with this. That's why we never buy the "best" of anything. We normally buy just a-bit-above-average products, and figure that's the most cost-effective level. Well, quite often we cannot afford the best anyway, such as a 6-figure auto or HiFi loudspeakers.

Unfortunately maybe for you, NW, but my thinking falls exactly in line with your thinking. I kind of have the opposite feeling of other poster implying too many people think about spending instead of saving. It's because like what you mentioned above, I tend to focus more on the retired posters comments and thoughts than the ones still reaching retirement; mainly I suppose because I am already retired myself. I find myself thinking "spend some it you cheap bastard and enjoy it or your offspring will!"
But then again, it is easy for me to say that because I don't have to draw down a substantial portfolio I spent my life accumulating. I just receive a monthly pension I live off of easily and dump the leftovers into my investment accounts that I never have any intention of ever spending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Multi-millionaires? MM for short.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
When I startet working I was often thinking about what I would buy when I'd have more money.
But when my income grew and I / we had accumulated some savings these thoughts changed: I was often happy just thinking that I could buy the stuff if I really wanted.
And I was even more often happy to think that I did not really want to and that I was able to walk away from the marketing blabla of "better, newer, ..."
I think this is called developing wisdom and maturity.

Down in the basement here is a Sony Betamax, the best of the time. I did actually get a lot of use out of it but it is a definite reminder to not jump on the latest & greatest, at least not until the dust settles.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ozstache, love the picture and am a bit envious of your plan to adventure ride in Oz. BTW, what are to two animals to the left ? One looks like a camel and the other a big ground hog ?
As you and others have already clarified, one is a camel (introduced, not native to Australia) and the other is a wombat (a mobile mega speed bump). Of the three animals on that sign, kangaroos are by far the most threatening on a motorcycle because they can move so fast and unpredictably. They are most active at dawn and dusk, but also venture nearer to roads at night, so it is best to only ride in clear daylight to minimise accident risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Your version of adventure travel sounds fantastic, Ozstache!

One of the new breed of so-called mirrorless cameras might fit the bill. By that, I am referring to the cameras that have a larger sensor (the same or similar size as is in many DSLR's) but don't have the flip-up mirror or pentaprism/pentamirror. The result is a smaller and lighter camera that has the image quality of a DSLR. They are not quite as small and light as the small sensor compacts such as what you have, but definitely an improvement on "traditional" DSLR's.

OTOH, if you're happy with the image quality you're getting from your current compact, then keep on using that and whatever you decide to do - carry on with the travel!
I had considered one of these mirrorless cameras, however the only real limitation of my trusty P&S (a Canon S90 BTW) is its 3.8x max zoom. If I want a greater zoom than that, with high quality, my research has found that bulk becomes a factor on even those smaller mirrorless models. Also, with the DSLR I owned before it (Konica Minolta 5D), I pretty much exclusively had an 18-55 lens on it for my style of photography (landscapes, low light, portraits), which is why I bought the Canon S90 in the first place - it was "enough"

And yes, I will certainly keep on traveling. When I finish the full time Masters degree that I am doing this year (the funding for which was a parting gift from my last employer) which is otherwise keeping me busty ATM, I will be going on a couple of month adventure holiday somewhere around the world for my "gap year/decade/half century"
Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #78

Minor update. In addition to the small influx of unexpected cash that I mentioned in the OP, I learned yesterday that in a few days I will be receiving another unexpected small amount of cash. It is about $3K and represents a residual amount from an estate that was thought to have been settled a few years ago.

So I will be getting about $4k very soon. Not only would buying the camera not affect my budget - I will actually have money left over from this small extra sum. I still cannot bring myself to do it though. It's only a relatively small amount but for some odd reason, I feel that I don't deserve this money. FIRE'd hit the nail on the head when he mentioned there was some denied gratification going on.

I'd go to a shrink to talk about this, but I'm too cheap to pay the bills. That would make a good one-liner but it's actually true!

The good side to this is that I have 3 beautiful kitties here who make my day, every single day. I never mind spending money on good food and vet bills for them. The money I spend on my furry companions is just about the best money I have ever spent on anything. The return on my investment is immeasurable.

But I will get that camera eventually...............
Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
The good side to this is that I have 3 beautiful kitties here who make my day, every single day.
Buy the damn camera. It will have zero impact on your long-term financial security, and think of all the great photos you can take of those cats!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #80
Administrator

I would buy it simply because this money is pretty much unexpected "manna from heaven", and so buying the camera won't affect your previous budget at all. Plus, you seem to really want the camera.

I think you will find that most retirees do spend that much or more on hobbies, although they might be aghast at spending that much on a camera if they are not especially into photography. In order to find out, I started a new poll of retirees to determine how much they spent on hobbies last year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote