Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Live Tiny Temporarily for a Goal
Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Live Tiny Temporarily for a Goal

This is my first post. I live in Sacramento ca with my fiancé and our dog. We are planning to get married in Mexico next year and I start my MBA in the fall. We have decided to build a house and closed on our lot a month ago. We are trying to challenge some of our assumptions we made initially how to financially handle the build other than a costly construction loan (which we can do). Looking outside the box, where all good ideas live!

My Fiancé and I are thinking of living Tiny in a tiny house on a lot we bought for a few years. We would order the house and have it delivered to the lot. while living on the lot we would be renting our Duplex unit on AirBnb (we own a duplex and currently only rent one side and live in the other) our plan is to save money and pay for the house build with cash. We are also selling my other house which we currently rent next year to fund the build as well. We would do it in phases like rough in, interior drywalling, plumbing and then finishes. Then when it's completed refinance and take cash out to invest in future real estate opportunities. We would then instal the tiny house permanently in the back yard as an income property or for a live in nanny at some point since we both travel a lot.

Major Challenges
1. Finding a builder willing to do this in phases
2. Dealing with airbnb people
3. Getting a. Holding permit to span 3 years
4. Getting city to allow us to put sewer and electrical and water to the tiny house while building.
5. Keeping Fiance from hating tiny house. He is tenant I ELT interested and attracted by the financial benefits.

This is a crazy elaborate involved plan I have come up with I am hoping some people could poke holes and expand my thinking. I asked my friends and their only focus was on "why would you want to deal with all that?". I believe in hustling for what you want and financially sound decisions for financial my free decisions.

Looking forward to your ideas thoughts and questions!!

Ms.FIlite
__________________

Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Richards
Posts: 954
My opinion , not worth anything . I built a steel building house. Now if you have zoning it is out. What I see on TV those mini houses are through the roof. I talked to a local builder here in Texas last Saturday and told him about my house and he agreed if you can build a steel building do it . He told me the average cost for steel building homes are around 30.00 per square foot . Those Mini houses on TV are over 150.00 per sq. ft. And just me talking built on a trailer with that much weight seems like a lot .

The Steel buildings are not great looking , but are strong and easy to make a really nice home. just me talking .
__________________

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
My opinion , not worth anything . I built a steel building house. Now if you have zoning it is out. What I see on TV those mini houses are through the roof. I talked to a local builder here in Texas last Saturday and told him about my house and he agreed if you can build a steel building do it . He told me the average cost for steel building homes are around 30.00 per square foot . Those Mini houses on TV are over 150.00 per sq. ft. And just me talking built on a trailer with that much weight seems like a lot .

The Steel buildings are not great looking , but are strong and easy to make a really nice home. just me talking .


Good thought! Since it would be in our back yard forever I do want to consider looks to a certain extent. I wonder if siding something could be put over the exterior. Thanks
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 6,183
Is your tiny home something like this:

The coodo - coodo - mobile living

Looks pretty neat.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DrRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.FIlite View Post
Good thought! Since it would be in our back yard forever I do want to consider looks to a certain extent. I wonder if siding something could be put over the exterior. Thanks
Yes, you can side the exterior. Just need the $.
__________________
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Richards
Posts: 954
Now you are talking , I had a 1200 sq. ft. shell put up for less then 10K with windows and doors . I had the slab built for 3.85 per foot . The finishing is where the money is . I plumbed it myself , hired a licensed electrician for 2500.00 he wired it to code. I use closed Cell foam insulation , it is the most expensive insulation you can get but it does a great job. Steel barns are popular here . Home Depot sells a faux cut stone siding made from composite that looks real cool , but is expensive ....but still cheaper then the real stuff and you can put it up yourself.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 23,011
Our first house had a completed first floor with a bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen... the basement and second floor were unfinished... but it was enough for us to live in.

While we were living there, we DIY finished the second floor with a master suite, two bedrooms and a common bathroom. I did the studding, ran the electrical and hot air, hung the drywall. DW did the mudding and we did the painting together. We hired out the plumbing.

Shortly after we finished we had to move with a job change, but the market was hot and we sold it for twice what we paid for it. It worked well for us.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Is your tiny home something like this:

The coodo - coodo - mobile living

Looks pretty neat.


This is totally awesome. Can't figure out the price. We were looking at the Sakura from Minimaliste Steve doesn't want to bend down in a loft at all. Priced around 100k since its larger. The fact that it can be an "RV" during building then we would permanently affix it to a foundation may give us some code leeway. You are usually allowed to live in an rv on a property while building your home.

http://www.tinyhousetown.net/2017/03...sq-ft.html?m=1
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 6,218
Probably going to town (city)) hall to discuss with the local government. May save a lot of aggravation in case it's a no-no. Couldn't do that in our town.

Anyway, I admire your plan. Kinda what we did as far as living small... (we did it living in a trailer in a campground for a year ios so, 'til we got our act together. ) Life story here...
Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

Long time ago, my plan was to do something like that. At one time, the plan was to do the same thing in Placerville.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
(null)
http://www.tinyhousetown.net/2017/03...sq-ft.html?m=1
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,738
Sometimes the "why would you want to deal with all that?" ideas make the most sense. The votes the really count are for you, your fiancé and dog .

I know when explaining to others I retired early there's be funny looks and questions from others asking "why would I want to do that?"

Welcome aboard!
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,264
There's always the problem with zoning. Hence, most tiny homes I have seen are really travel trailers that people build with material not usually used on travel trailers. The resultant tiny homes weigh a heck of a lot, although they are a lot sturdier.

I would get a good used motorhome or travel trailer, which is ready to go. One can be had for less than what I have seen people spend on a tiny home. And one should be able to park it in the back yard without problems with zoning ordinances.

It would also make a heck of a good travel vehicle. Just drive it off for a trip. When not traveling, come back to your lot to plug it into the grid, and hook it up to city water and sewer. It is not as romantic as building a tiny home, but more practical.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,538
Use it as a case in your B-school classes.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Our first house had a completed first floor with a bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen... the basement and second floor were unfinished... but it was enough for us to live in.

While we were living there, we DIY finished the second floor with a master suite, two bedrooms and a common bathroom. I did the studding, ran the electrical and hot air, hung the drywall. DW did the mudding and we did the painting together. We hired out the plumbing.

Shortly after we finished we had to move with a job change, but the market was hot and we sold it for twice what we paid for it. It worked well for us.


Very interesting idea! In our house plans we would have one bedroom/office and a bathroom on the first floor. We could ask what it would be to just do the first floor. If everything is roughed in we could wait till we needed the other bedroom/babies show up

These are our house plans. While the extra space makes sense with two kids it's way to big for us now.

IMG_6083.JPG
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There's always the problem with zoning. Hence, most tiny homes I have seen are really travel trailers that people build with material not usually used on travel trailers. The resultant tiny homes weigh a heck of a lot, although they are a lot sturdier.

I would get a good used motorhome or travel trailer, which is ready to go. One can be had for less than what I have seen people spend on a tiny home. And one should be able to park it in the back yard without problems with zoning ordinances.

It would also make a heck of a good travel vehicle. Just drive it off for a trip. When not traveling, come back to your lot to plug it into the grid, and hook it up to city water and sewer. It is not as romantic as building a tiny home, but more practical.


We would want to keep it long term to rent out. I would be concerned with a tailor not renting well or holding up. Not sure haven't owned one.
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Use it as a case in your B-school classes.


Haha I might do that!
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Teacher Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,121
In order to live in a tiny home both people need to be extremely neat or you will never be able to find anything and live in chaos. Everything has to be put away after using it. When we travel in our RV everything is neat but my Dh is messy so after a few days everything is a mess.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sometimes the "why would you want to deal with all that?" ideas make the most sense. The votes the really count are for you, your fiancé and dog .

I know when explaining to others I retired early there's be funny looks and questions from others asking "why would I want to do that?"

Welcome aboard!


The dog has specifically asked for stairs to the bedroom he refuses to deal with the ladderIMG_3964.JPGIMG_3509.JPG
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 217
What about renting out the tiny home on AirBnB instead of moving into it yourself? I think a tiny home could fetch a good price on AirBnB, people are curious about them. And I suspect demand for an entire half of a duplex would not be as high as you think. It would basically only be families who'd be willing to pay a premium to get an entire place like that, whereas the tiny home could appeal to both singles and couple travelers.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.FIlite View Post
The dog has specifically asked for stairs to the bedroom he refuses to deal with the ladderAttachment 25729Attachment 25730
Now that is a smart dog .
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
At the cross roads; career goal vs. ER goal advice dvalley FIRE and Money 24 08-19-2014 01:15 AM
Should the stock market be temporarily closed until the economy gets better? cloudeleven FIRE and Money 26 02-23-2009 08:54 PM
Money goal or time goal? utrecht FIRE and Money 28 01-10-2008 07:32 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×