Join Early Retirement Today
Farmers markets
Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Farmers markets

Tomato and mayo sandwiches are my absolute favorite. With maybe a few sprigs of basil added. I am something of a farmers market maven. We have a large number here in western PA and their fruit and veg offerings are certainly better and cheaper than the grocery stores. I think they are a destination in and of themselves, and I will drive all over to check them out. In addition to really delicious berries and veggies and huge assortments of mushrooms and chevre, some also sell frozen farm raised meats(I bring a cooler). Now the meats are priced about what you would pay at a gourmet market but I think they are tastier by far and as I eat small portions of animal protein anyway, I snatch up the lamb sausages or a pot roast when I see them. One lady sells the best bacon I have ever eaten. It goes great on a tomato and mayo sandwich, too, especially with a nice,chewy bread. I buy corn and some veggies right on the edge of a field, sold by a local family farm(not a farm market per se). Some markets also sell quilts, collectibles, plants, furniture,soaps and all manner of things. I better stop now as I could enthuse on this subject at length. Suffice it to say that my larder is better stocked than any of the people I know, even those with families. It is one area where I am not frugal.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
And of course you have to have a slice of that wonderful XXXtra sharp cheddar wheel sitting under the glass dome.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
I love the little farmstands out in the country--we try to find them when we tool around.

Our local farmers market unfortunately is a chamber of commerce thingie, expensive without quality.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
And of course you have to have a slice of that wonderful XXXtra sharp cheddar wheel sitting under the glass dome.
River Rat Cheese Products
Ah, yes, cheese. My absolute favorite food. Worthy of a thread all its own. For my fiftieth birthday a few years ago, my office threw a "wine"(non-alcoholic cider served in disposable stemware) and cheese party for me at lunch. People brought in all kinds of different cheese samples and crackers and fruits. I was also presented with an impressive tome: The Encyclopedia of Cheese. My boss is always bringing me unusual artisan cheeses from the eastern part of the state when she goes home to visit family. I know it's something really good when people start to complain of the horrible stink in the fridge and it turns out to be a hunk of cheese from her with my name on it.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote