Lojack Your Kids | Gemini GLS Pricing Question

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I heard a radio commercial about this "Gemini GLS" product. Looking at the website it appears to be a cellphone-sized and cellphone-like device that can be tracked by a website. I've been thinking about it in terms of my young neice, and it has a couple of claimed features like a panic button, ability to dial a couple of predefined numbers and geographic alert if she wanders outside a certain area.

I can think of several practical problems, like how will a kid keep a cellphone-sized device strapped to them and wouldn't an abductor immediately take away anything that looks like a cell phone, but I think it is still interesting as an additional safety tool (but not as a substitute for anything).

Of course the site has no pricing online, and I can't find anecdotal quotes anywhere. Does anyone know what their plans cost or have any other comments about the device or service?

http://www.geminitracking.com

(By the way, this is a perfect example of a post that would be considered spam from a first-time poster, but from a poster that's been around and participated in the on-topic stuff has some credibility as a real question as opposed to an astroturf attempt.)

Come to think of it, I've heard it's possible to locate cell phones via cell tower triangulation. Do any normal cell phones offer this feature yet?

BigMoneyJim said:
I heard a radio commercial about this "Gemini GLS" product. Looking at the website it appears to be a cellphone-sized and cellphone-like device that can be tracked by a website. I've been thinking about it in terms of my young neice, and it has a couple of claimed features like a panic button, ability to dial a couple of predefined numbers and geographic alert if she wanders outside a certain area.
I can think of several practical problems, like how will a kid keep a cellphone-sized device strapped to them and wouldn't an abductor immediately take away anything that looks like a cell phone, but I think it is still interesting as an additional safety tool (but not as a substitute for anything).
I've told our kid that when she gets her driver's license our cars will have chips with GPS receivers in them that'll help us track where she drives and at what speeds.

It's like laying a minefield-- you don't actually have to use any mines if you can convince your subject that you've laid a minefield.

As for the Lojack cell phone, wouldn't it be easier to insert a microchip in the fold of skin between their shoulderblades? That way the SPCA would pick up the RFID during their... oh, wait, different thread... never mind!

Back
Top Bottom