Where to donate antique bell?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have a bell that was in use for decades at a family farm. It was cast in 1881 at a local bell foundry and was used as the dinner bell to summon the workers in from the fields. It's in very good condition, and I personally think it has a very pleasing tone when rung. But we would like to find it a good home.

It's a pretty good size, about 20 inches in diameter at the bottom, and weighs over 200 pounds, so kind of awkward to move around.

I've asked a lot of people but haven't come up with any good ideas, so I thought I would ask the creative folks here if they can think of anything. As mentioned, it isn't something I could simply pick up and take in the car to drop off anywhere, and there are obviously few practical uses for it these days, but you never know.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 16.54.45.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 16.54.45.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 21
This seems like something a local museum or historical society would jump at. Looks like a beauty.

Just be wary of who you give it to unless you don't care. They may just sell it for scrap.

Also, check local library for takers

Is there a living history museum or demonstration farm anywhere in your area? When I lived in Indiana, there was a place called Conner Prairie that would be the kind of place to value something like that.

They need a new one in Philadelphia as their old one is cracked .... ;)

It looks nice, the rural Church near my cabin used to ring to let folks know it was time for service. I got to ring it sometimes as a youngster.

My grade school was built about 1875. When they tore it down in 1975 or so, they allowed the public to come in and buy anything they might fancy. For instance, there was an old storage room (that I recalled - a dark storage closet where our 2nd grade teacher had demonstrated why the moon has phases) and in that closet, they stored stuff like old grade books and attendance records as well as the school pictures that kids' parents did not buy. I found several things that contained my personal info and took all of them.

BUT in the bell tower (not used for many years) was a huge school bell. My FIL wanted to take it but it was too heavy for us. SO, FIL figured that it would just be scrapped. He called the local paper and got a story with his picture standing by the school bell. Because he'd made a "big deal" about not scrapping the bell, it was mounted out front of the new grade school building that was built in place of the old building. It's there to this day almost 50 years later.

A bell this age must hold some historical significance to someone. Check around and I'm guessing someone will want it for a prominent display. Good luck. I like the idea of historical preservation.

I see our new fire house has a bell. Maybe you could donate it to your local fire department. And I agree with others above - a local history museum would be a good option.

Just throwing out a random thought, my godson directs a hand bell choir group. It is associated with a small church. No idea if such a large bell would work or even if they do the 1812 overture where there are like cannon shots simulated. Due to size and weight you might find a local group.

Another random thought, the Amish are a group the pretty much avoids modern technology uses horse and buggies, wood stoves, and practice farming the old way with plow horses and large families.
Probably they would still use a large bell in the way this had been used to gather the family.

I know there are colonies of Amish in Iowa and Pennsylvania but would need to google if anything close to you. Plus you can't likely email them. ; )

I'd put it on Craigslist. There's got to be someone who has an idea for it.

You put it on there with a price, but the text could say you'd waive the price depending on the recipient and their plans.

Last edited:
Wow!
Some great ideas you have been given. I personally would try to do what Ronstar suggested.

I would visit with some Schools, Fire Dept., or City for any ideas they may have. At my old grade school there still is the old bell as you enter the school. The old school is very small now with just a handful of kids.

I personally wouldn't sell it, with personal ties to the Bell I would not sell for profit.
Good Luck braumeister. Please keep us updated on your decision.

One more vote on the local historical society idea. Perhaps the foundry itself might still be in business, maybe merged with another and operating under a different name now. It might take some research. They might also be interested. Contact the above historical society to see if they can help find the successor. Your local town's business district might even want it for decoration. How ab out the local school? Just a few ideas.

I found this on the web circa 1880's. Although this is from a different foundry, it looks like it might have been sold for around $16 at the time.

Attachments

• school bell.jpg
    school bell.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
All good ideas, for which I thank you. But nothing I haven't already explored with no takers. I'll keep at it though.

^ That's surprising. Our local historical society takes everything. I'm a member, and the monthly newsletters are filled with mentions of donations and plans to add on to the building.

I'd put it on Craigslist. There's got to be someone who has an idea for it.

You put it on there with a price, but the text could say you'd waive the price depending on the recipient and their plans.

I did that with a kitten.
Some people get free kittens, etc to feed to their snakes, or other bad purposes.

I had captured and trained a wild kitten so offered it for sale for $30. Some fellow drove ~20 miles to adopt it, and when he handed me the cash is when I told him it was free and the price was just to be sure whoever showed up was serious.

I like the library idea. They might be a good source for knowing organizations in the area or groups that would have more interest?

All good ideas, for which I thank you. But nothing I haven't already explored with no takers. I'll keep at it though.

How about your area and surrounding State Parks? One we go to often had a historic village set up and was looking for a church bell at one time.

I can see the Foundry name but can’t make it out. I think it would be very easy to find a non-profit around here to donate to. Where are you located?

However, I did find a website where they buy and sell bells, and the prices were a lot higher (to buy) than I expected.

Thanks, that's a very interesting site. I may contact them.
But it would be preferable to find someone local. I'm not looking to make any money from it.

Maybe these folks may have ideas and/or contacts?

https://www.bells.org

The National Bell Festival rings in the New Year with community events across America and across the world. We also work throughout the year to restore bells and bell towers to their former thundering glory.
The have a page specific to farm bells: https://www.bells.org/farm-bells

Back
Top Bottom