Join Early Retirement Today

Looking For a New Start Page (Again)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking For a New Start Page (Again)

I'm looking for a new start page again. Any suggestions?

My current start page is Google News but seems like lately, often when trying to pull up with Firefox, a delay message comes up saying something like a website is making things slow, do I wish to wait or stop it. This is recurring.

I suppose, one option is to switch browsers, but I don't want to do that as I've grown used to Firefox.

As a start page, I'm just want a news page that doesn't bombard me with too many tiles as news stories. Seems most sites like to give tiles instead of text headlines. Okay for smartphones, but my computer is not a smartphone .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My.Yahoo.com uses headlines, not tiles.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #3

easysurfer,

check you are not being crypto-jacked on that page

i prefer Opera as a browser ( and that is heresy for a Linux fan ) but it just works 'good enough ' for me

i do have FF as an emergency back up just rarely use it

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
easysurfer,

check you are not being crypto-jacked on that page

i prefer Opera as a browser ( and that is heresy for a Linux fan ) but it just works 'good enough ' for me

i do have FF as an emergency back up just rarely use it
I really don't think I got crypto-jacked as reading, seems like the message is just something from Firefox. Fairly common, but not a simple resolution that I've found.

But I'm running Malewarebytes anyhow, wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
My.Yahoo.com uses headlines, not tiles.

Will have to give My Yahoo a look. Used to be, yahoo news was the way to go til things got more tile like.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Decided to just use Yahoo News as my start page for now. Page seems like a compromise between headlines vs tiles. I prefer headlines but beggars can't be choosers .
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use http://www.reuters.com/ as my first tab of several, including Google news. The "Real Clear" pages, like http://realclearpolitics.com/ are pretty much all titles of news and opinion articles. I hardly ever read one, though, because just by looking at the web page or newspaper name I know what side of an issue they will be taking.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I use http://www.reuters.com/ as my first tab of several, including Google news. The "Real Clear" pages, like http://realclearpolitics.com/ are pretty much all titles of news and opinion articles. I hardly ever read one, though, because just by looking at the web page or newspaper name I know what side of an issue they will be taking.
Yes, reuters is where I go when I want real news instead of entertainment sprinkled in with news occasionally . But as I said in a different thread, I can only read so much reuters, as IMO, that feels like going to the library on a Friday night.

Haven't heard of realclear pages. Will have to give a look.

Update: Just took a look at the realclear pages. Yes, that is the format I like on a site. Good old categorized and then links to articles. Would like more of general news instead of geared towards politics, the formatting is done right. Thanks as I'll have to bookmark.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

You don't go to the library on Friday nights? Jeez.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
You don't go to the library on Friday nights? Jeez.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Here's my favorite start page:

Reference, Facts, News - Free and Family-friendly Resources - Refdesk.com
Old 07-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #12

I use Chrome and my start page is the Google search page, which is what I want about 90% of the time I open a browser. More frequently, when I open a new tab, I have a Chrome extension called "Home - New Tab Page." It's got notifications, calendar reminders, a to-do list, a big clock, weather summary, 20 tiles with links to apps and/or web pages of my choice, and a place to open recently closed tabs. Behind all this are some of the most beautiful photos I've ever seen. Really nice and useful extension.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm reading with interest!

I have been using Reuters, which seems adequate. It always comes up right away, which for me is one of the main functions of a homepage; to see if the internet is working or not.

Also it does not blast unwanted sound from an unwanted video at me. That is just unacceptable to me.

With homepages, there is always room for improvement.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #14

Interesting.

I simply have a blank "start page". Since I leave my Mac turned on and safari is always running I don't often open a new window for browsing. If I open a new tab it's usually to go to a specific site which I either get to by clicking on the favorites bar or typing some text into the search bar.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My problem with Yahoo (which is mine) is that it does not seem to update the articles enough... there are times I can look 8 or more hours later and see only ONE new news story on the front page... I know there is more news out there, so why is it so slow to post them?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
gone traveling

I use Google search page for my home page.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Interesting.

I simply have a blank "start page". Since I leave my Mac turned on and safari is always running I don't often open a new window for browsing. If I open a new tab it's usually to go to a specific site which I either get to by clicking on the favorites bar or typing some text into the search bar.
Me too, on all accounts. I started using a blank start page because I never know what I'm going to want when I open a browser, so why take the loading delay of some page that I might but probably don't want. Now I keep my PC on and browser open, and if I have to restart I usually use the option to restore tabs. I keep a ready list of favorites at the top of my bookmarks so I can quickly click on any one of them. I've got a google search on the tool bar for quick searches.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

1) make Google search the home page. 2) make Google News another tab. 3) add Reuters as another page. Have Firefox open these three pages by default
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm looking for a new start page again. Any suggestions?

I'm just want a news page that doesn't bombard me with too many tiles as news stories.
My "start page" is an old school page of links I am interested in:

Anthony's Resource Links

I frequently add bookmarks to my web browser when I encounter pages that interest me. Periodically I'll sort through them, organizing the ones I want to keep to my links pages, and deleting the ones I don't want anymore. Obviously, my links page is aimed at my personal interests, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something similar yourself (if you have any HTML experience).

As for reading news, I prefer to use my RSS newsreader for that (I use RSS Owl). I don't want news feeds getting in my way when I'm searching for something, researching a topic, etc.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
My "start page" is an old school page of links I am interested in:

Anthony's Resource Links

I frequently add bookmarks to my web browser when I encounter pages that interest me. Periodically I'll sort through them, organizing the ones I want to keep to my links pages, and deleting the ones I don't want anymore. Obviously, my links page is aimed at my personal interests, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something similar yourself (if you have any HTML experience).

As for reading news, I prefer to use my RSS newsreader for that (I use RSS Owl). I don't want news feeds getting in my way when I'm searching for something, researching a topic, etc.

Pretty impressive .